|Shardul Thakur Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 16, 1991|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Shardul Thakur is an Indian professional cricketer who first started getting noticed after capturing 48 wickets from just 10 games, including 5 five-wicket hauls, with his skiddy pace bowling in the 2013-14 Ranji Trophy (India’s domestic first-class competition) season. After consistent performances in the ensuing years, he made his ODI debut in August 2017 for the men’s senior national team and has played intermittently in all 3 formats. Since being picked for the now-defunct Rising Pune Supergiants franchise in 2017, he has also become a regular feature in the IPL (Indian Premier League).
Shardul Narendra Thakur
Palghar Express, Dhool
Palghar, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Shardul had attended and represented in cricket, the Swami Vivekanand International School in Borivali, Mumbai.
- Father – Narendra Thakur
- Mother – Hansa Thakur
- Siblings – He has a sister.
10, 54 – ODI, T20I, IPL
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shardul has dated –
- Mittali Parulkar – In November 2021, Shardul got engaged to his long-time friend Mittali Parulkar, who runs a start-up known as All The Bakes in Thane, Maharashtra, in a private ceremony attended by 75 people including Rohit Sharma. The function was organized by Mumbai Cricket Association.
Race / Ethnicity
- Sports a lightly trimmed beard
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, wavy hair
- Has a cut mark on his right eyebrow
- Affable smile
Shardul Thakur Facts
- As Shardul’s hometown of Palghar was 87 km north of the megapolis of Mumbai and he wished to train there in his formative years, he would spend hours in local trains making the daily to-and-fro journey.
- While representing Swami Vivekanand International School in junior-level cricket, Shardul had achieved the rare distinction of hitting sixes from all 6 balls in an over.
- After his debut season of domestic cricket in 2012-13, which was not highly impactful, he was advised by his teammates and management to lose some weight to enhance his on-field performance. Shardul paid heed to the advice and shed more than 10 kg before the start of the next season.
- He played a starring role in the 2015-16 Ranji Trophy Trophy final as he picked up 8 wickets against Saurashtra, helping Mumbai win the Ranji Trophy title for the 41st time, the most by a massive distance for any team in the history of Indian first-class cricket.
- In the early stages of his international career, he used to wear the number 10 jersey for India. This raised a massive furor on social media as the number 10 jersey is more or less synonymous with the iconic cricketer Sachin Tendulkar. He eventually changed his jersey number to 54 due to the controversy and in November 2017, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) unofficially retired the number 10 jersey.
- In October 2018, he achieved his dream of playing a Test match for India when he was selected in the playing XI for a game against the West Indies which made him the 294th player to represent India in the Test Match format. His dream debut was abruptly ended though when he picked up a groin strain in his right leg after bowling just 10 deliveries. The injury ended his participation in the match.
- 3 years after starring in the final of the Ranji Trophy, Shardul was a part of another major final. Although he had played very few matches in the league stage of IPL 2019, he was selected to appear in the final by his franchise Chennai Super Kings. He bowled well in the game, picking up 2 wickets, but got dismissed Leg Before Wicket (LBW) on the last ball of the match that resulted in a heart-breaking 1-run defeat for his team.
- In 2021, after seeing his performance in the India-Australia test series, Anand Mahindra, the chairman of the Mahindra & Mahindra group, decided to gift him a Mahindra Thar apart from some other cricketers in the same squad.
Featured Image by Shardul Thakur / Instagram