Shonda Lynn Rhimes
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Rhimes completed her high schooling from Marian Catholic High School in Chicago Heights, Illinois.
She subsequently enrolled at Dartmouth College to major in English and Creative Writing and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in 1991.
After a small time in advertising, she enrolled herself in the writing for screen and television programs at the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts, earning her Masters of Fine Arts (MFA).
Television producer, television writer, screenwriter
- Father – Vera P. Cain (Was Chief Information Officer at the University of Southern California)
- Mother – Ilee Rhimes, Jr. (College Professor)
- Siblings – Sandie Rhimes (Older Sister), Carter Rhimes (Older Brother). Shonda has 2 another older sisters and another older brother.
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
74 kg or 163 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has not publicly dated anyone. In fact, she doesn’t want to get married. During an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Rhimes made a firm declaration that, “marriage isn’t for me.”
But, she decided she wasn’t going to wait for a man to fulfill her dreams and adopted 2 beautiful daughters in 2002, and February 2012.
She had her 3rd daughter in September 2013 through gestational surrogacy.
Race / Ethnicity
She is African American.
37-30-38 in or 94-76-96.5 cm
14 (US) or 44 (EU)
10.5 (US) or 41 (EU)
She has endorsed the brands like Dove.
She has launched her own Shondaland Candles.
Shonda has also advertised for
- Carolina Herrera
- Foolies Clothings
- Jimmy Choo
- America Girl
She has appeared in print ads for Pilot pens (G2 premium gel pen).
She is a Protestant Christian.
Best Known For
- Rhimes is a critically acclaimed and award-winning creator and executive producer of the hit television series Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, and Scandal.
- Her Entertainment Company “Shondaland” which won the 2014 Directors Guild of America Diversity Award.
Blossoms and Veils (1998)
First TV Show
In 2005, Shonda appeared on the talk show, Tavis Smiley.
Jeanette Jenkins is Rhimes personal trainer who helped her lose a dramatic 117 pounds. During an ABC TGIT Celebration event in LA, Shonda revealed her amazing weight loss program, which was a drastic change from her earlier appearances.
Shonda Rhimes Favorite Things
- Food – Roast Chicken, Apple Pie
- Beverages – Dead Letter Office Shiraz, Sidecar Cocktail
- TV Shows – Orange is the New Black, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Game of Thrones
- Music – Duran Duran, Ray Charles, Nina Simone, John Lennon, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder
- Books – To Kill a Mockingbird, Columbine, The Kid, Little Women, The Stand
- Celebrities – Mohammed Ali, Prince, Donna Summer
- Movies – Star Wars, Argo
- Causes – Creative Arts, Domestic Violence, Empowering Women, Health, Police Brutality
- Charities – Actors Fund of America, Allstate Foundation, Planned Parenthood
Shonda Rhimes Facts
- She was part of a championship marching band in high school.
- She loves to watch the national spelling bee competition and is known to live-blog the Scripps National Spelling bee.
- She has had the same best friend (Christina Yang) since when she was 10 years old. This friend is depicted in Grey’s Anatomy as a confident and powerful woman.
- She made a guest-appearance on The Mindy Project as herself, a brilliant TV producer who also happens to be the beer pong champion of Dartmouth.
- Rhimes was ranked at the top of her class and earned the Gary Rosenberg Writing Fellowship.
- She is the first African-American woman to create and executively produce a Top 10 network series.
- She pursued a prestigious MFA after she heard that it was actually harder to get into film school at USC than it was to get into law school at Harvard.
- She got the idea for Grey’s Anatomy from a random comment from a doctor at a hospital that seemed very irrelevant at that time.
- Rhimes was named Times Magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2007.
- She loves listening to music when she writes. It’s no surprise that many of her favorite music artists make it to her TV episodes.
- She suffers from glossophobia, which is the inability of speaking in public.
- Connect with Shonda on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
Featured Image by Greg Hernandez / Flickr / CC BY 2.0