|Shreya Ghoshal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 12, 1984|
Shreya Ghoshal is an Indian singer, music composer, and music producer who is widely regarded as one of the greatest singers that the country has ever produced. Although she has predominantly contributed to Hindi-language Bollywood movies, she has also recorded numerous songs in languages such as Assamese, Bengali, Bhojpuri, English, French, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and even Nepali. As of May 2020, she had won 5 National Film Awards, 7 Filmfare Awards (including 6 as ‘Best Female Playback Singer’), 10 Filmfare Awards South, 4 Kerala State Film Awards, and 2 Tamil Nadu State Film Awards. She has judged reality TV shows such as STAR Voice of India (2007), X Factor India (2011), and Indian Idol Junior (2013).
Berhampore, Murshidabad, West Bengal, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Shreya studied up to 8th grade at the Atomic Energy Central School in Rawatbhata, Rajasthan. She then joined the Atomic Energy Central School in Anushakti Nagar, Mumbai after her father was transferred there. She was later enrolled at the Atomic Energy Junior College to study science but dropped out and attended the SIES College of Arts, Science, and Commerce in Mumbai, where she switched to arts with English as her major.
Singer, Music Composer, Music Producer
- Father – Bishwajit Ghoshal (Electrical Engineer)
- Mother – Sarmistha Ghoshal
- Siblings – Soumyadeep Ghoshal (Younger Brother)
Filmi, Pop, Ghazal, Classical, Bhajan
- Zee Music
- Times Music
- Sagarika Music
- Asha Audio Company
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Shreya has dated –
- Shiladitya Mukhopadhyaya (2005–Present) – Shreya began dating her childhood friend Shiladitya Mukhopadhyaya in 2005 and they got married on February 5, 2015 in a traditional Bengali ceremony.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Bengali descent.
- Petite frame
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
She has served as the brand ambassador of Joyalukkas Jewelry.
Shreya Ghoshal Facts
- Although Shreya was born in Murshidabad, West Bengal, she grew up in Rawatbhata, a town near Kota, Rajasthan. She moved to Mumbai in 1997 when her father was transferred there.
- A child prodigy, she began her classical training from the age of just 4. She came into the spotlight in 2000 when she won the popular singing-based reality TV show Sa Re Ga Ma at the age of just 16.
- Her talent was noticed by renowned film director and music composer Sanjay Leela Bhansali who offered her a contract to sing for the 2002 romantic drama film Devdas which became her playback singing debut in Bollywood.
- She contributed vocals for 5 songs on the film’s soundtrack and for the song Dola Re Dola, she won the ‘Best Female Playback Singer’ at the 2003 Filmfare Awards. For the song Bairi Piya, she won the 2003 ‘Filmfare RD Burman Award for New Music Talent’. The latter song also earned her her first National Film Award.
- In 2010, the then governor of the state of Ohio, Ted Strickland, had honored her by naming June 26 as ‘Shreya Ghoshal Day’.
- In 2017, she became the first Indian singer to have her wax statue installed at the Madame Tussauds Museum.
Featured Image by Shreya Ghoshal / Instagram