|Neena Gupta Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||July 4, 1959|
Neena Gupta is an Indian actress and television director who has worked in numerous art-house and commercial films and TV series in an illustrious acting career that began in 1982. She won the ‘Best Supporting Actress’ award at the prestigious National Film Awards for her portrayal of a young widow in the film Woh Chokri (1994). In 2019, she won the Filmfare Critics Award in the category of ‘Best Actress’ for her portrayal of a middle-aged pregnant lady in the critically acclaimed comedy-drama film Badhaai Ho (2018). Neena has also directed successful TV series such as Pal Chin (1998), Saans (1999), and Siski (2000).
New Delhi, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Neena had attended the Lawrence School, Sanawar, a private boarding school in Himachal Pradesh. After her high school graduation, she attended Delhi University and attained a Master’s Degree and M.Phil. in the Sanskrit language. She is also a distinguished alumna of the renowned National School of Drama, New Delhi.
Actress, TV Director
- Father – R. N. Gupta (Deceased)
- Mother – Shakuntala Gupta (Deceased)
- Siblings – Pankaj Gupta (Brother)
- Others – Madhu Mantena Varma (Ex-Son-in-Law)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Neena has dated –
- In 1975, at the age of 16, she was married to a boy from Kolkata. However, their union lasted for only 2 years.
- Alok Nath – Neena had a brief affair in the 1980s with veteran Indian actor Alok Nath.
- Shaarangdev Pandit (1987-1988) – Neena and musician Shaarangdev Pandit were engaged in 1988 but their marriage was called off at the last moment.
- Vivian Richards – In the late 1980s, Neena had a brief fling with superstar West Indian cricketer Vivian Richards. Although they were never engaged or married, they have a daughter together named Masaba Gupta (b. November 2, 1988) (Fashion Designer) who Neena raised as a single mother.
- Vivek Mehra (2008-Present) – In July 2008, Neena got married to Vivek Mehra, a chartered accountant, and partner with PwC India, in a private ceremony in the United States.
Race / Ethnicity
- Long, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Gleaming face
- Has a mole on her nose
Neena Gupta Facts
- She directed the 1993 TV movie Bazar Sitaram which won her a National Film Award for the first time, in the category of ‘Best First Non-Feature Film’.
- In 2017, fed up with the paucity of serious roles for middle-aged women, she wrote an Instagram Post stating her credentials and asking for acting jobs. The act of frustration not only grabbed media headlines but also got her 5 film roles and she accepted all of them.
- One of those offers was for the film Badhaai Ho (2018), the role that catapulted her back into mainstream recognition. For her performance, she earned a ‘Best Actress’ nomination at the 2019 Filmfare Awards. She became the second-oldest actress after Sharmila Tagore to receive such a nomination in Filmfare history.
- With veteran actor and fellow National School of Drama alumnus Rajendra Gupta, she ran a theatre production company called Sahaj Productions.
- In June 2021, she released her autobiography Sach Kahun Toh via Penguin Random House India.
- Actor-director Satish Kaushik had offered Neena to marry her when she was pregnant with Masaba. Satish had offered her to tell everyone that she was pregnant with his child whereas, in reality, it was Sir Viv Richards’s child.
- As a kid, she was molested by an eye doctor and a tailor. However, she didn’t tell her mother about all that thinking that she herself would be blamed for the situation by her mother and the limited freedom she had would also be lost.
Featured Image by Neena Gupta / Instagram