|Sigourney Weaver Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¾ in|
|Date of Birth||October 8, 1949|
Sigourney Weaver is an American actress who rose to fame after her portrayal of Ripley in the film Alien. She is often considered as the most significant female protagonist as she picks up challenging roles in most sci-fi and action films. She has also worked in films and TV shows like Ghostbusters (1984), Ghostbusters 2 (1989), Galaxy Quest (1999), Prayers for Bobby (2009), Paul (2011), The Cabin in the Woods (2012), A Monster Calls (2016), and The Defenders (2017). Sigourney started her career from stage during her college days and appeared in renowned plays such as Watergate Classics, The Frogs, The Nature and Purpose of the Universe, and Once in a Lifetime. Sigourney was also a part of James Cameron‘s 2009 film Avatar, which became the top box-office hit of all time. She also starred in the 2015 Neill Blomkamp’s science-fiction film Chappie. Weaver is also a voice-over artist and has dubbed for various films and series such as BBC Emmy Award-winning nature documentary series Planet Earth, WALL-E by Disney, The Tale of Despereaux, and many others. She also served as a host for 2 episodes of the long-running NBC sketch show Saturday Night Live in 1986.
Sigourney considers herself an environmentalist. She was a United Nations General Assembly speaker in the year 2006 and has raised issues about the widespread threat to ocean habitats posed by deep-sea trawling. She has won and been nominated for various awards like Academy Award, BAFTA Award, and Golden Globe Award. Sigourney has also earned Tony Award and Drama Desk Award nominations for her work in theatre. She is considered an ageless actor and continues to be loved by her fans for all her portrayals.
Susan Alexandra Weaver
Sigourney, The Actress’s Actress, The Sci-Fi Queen
Manhattan, New York, United States
Santa Barbara, California, United States
She attended the Ethel Walker School, a girls’ preparatory school located in Simsbury, Connecticut. Later on, she also attended The Chapin School and The Brearley School.
She did her graduation from Sarah Lawrence College and completed her B.A. in English from Stanford University in the year 1972. She did her post-graduation from the Yale University School of Drama in 1974 in Master of Fine Arts.
- Father – Sylvester “Pat” Weaver (Television Executive, Television Pioneer)
- Mother – Elizabeth Inglis (Actress)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Doodles Weaver (Uncle) (Comedian, Actor)
Sigourney is represented by –
- United Talent Agency
- Arcieri & Associates
- Jackoway Tyerman
5 ft 11¾ in or 182 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sigourney has dated –
- Aaron Latham (1966-1967) – Sigourney and Journalist Aaron Latham were in a relationship for a year from 1966 to 1967.
- James McClure (1978) – James and Sigourney dated in the year 1978 and broke up that same year.
- Jim Simpson (1983-Present) – Theatre director Jim and Sigourney started dating in 1983. They dated for a year from 1983 to 1984 and then married each other on October 1, 1984. They were blessed with a daughter named Charlotte on April 13, 1990.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English ancestry on her mother’s side and English, Scottish, Scots-Irish, and Dutch ancestry on her father’s side.
She often tends to dye her hair ‘blonde’.
- Tall height
- Deep husky voice
10 (US) or 40.5 (EU) or 7.5 (UK)
She has endorsed and done commercials for several brands like –
- John Hancock Insurance Company (1998) (Voiceover)
- Campbell’s Soup
- Pepsi (1978)
- The Nature Conservancy (2007) (Voiceover)
- DirecTV (2007)
Best Known For
Playing the role of Ellen Ripley in the Alien franchise
She made her first theatrical film appearance in Annie Hall in the year 1977 opposite Woody Allen.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance in Somerset in the year 1976 as Avis Ryan.
She works out to maintain her physique. Her routine includes Pilates, gardening, walking her dogs, and running up several flights of stairs a day. She also consumes health supplements such as Omega 3 fish oil supplements and Vitamin D. She also uses Emergen-C packets, which is a vitamin drink mixed with electrolytes and minerals.
Sigourney Weaver Favorite Things
- Food – Icelandic lobster soup
- Books – Pippi by Astrid Lindgren, Hello Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald, Robinson Crusoe by N. C. Wyeth
Source – Chowhound, Hollywood Reporter
Sigourney Weaver Facts
- She and Meryl Streep were together at Yale School of Drama.
- She was an under-confident child.
- Sigourney is afraid to travel in elevators.
- She speaks French and German fluently.
- Sigourney supports the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund and also is its chairman.
- She started her career at a young age with theatre plays.
- She changed her name to Sigourney after being inspired by a character in The Great Gatsby.
- Sigourney often plays the roles of women of enormous strength and stature in her films.
- In 1995, she was chosen in the list of “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History” by the Empire Magazine.
- Her salary for Alien: Resurrection (1997) was more than the entire cost of Alien (1979).
- After reading the screenplay of The Village (2004), she suffered from nightmares.
- She was a member of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1998.
- During the shoot of Snow Cake (2006), she injured her knee.
- She is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0