|Son Heung-min Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||July 8, 1992|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Son Heung-min is a South Korean professional soccer player who is widely regarded as one of the best forwards of his generation and one of the greatest Asian soccer players of all time. He has represented, as a forward/midfielder, Hamburger SV II (2010), Hamburger SV (2010–2013), and Bayer 04 Leverkusen (2013–2015) in Germany; and Tottenham Hotspur F.C. (2015–Present) in England. With Tottenham Hotspur F.C., he had reached the final of the UEFA Champions League in the 2018–19 season and the EFL Cup in the 2020–21 season. During his time at the club, he became the top Asian goalscorer of all time in both the Premier League and the prestigious UEFA Champions League. At the international level, Son Heung-min represented South Korea at the under-17 and under-23 tiers before making his senior national debut in December 2010. With South Korea, he had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2018 Jakarta-Palembang Asian Games; and reached the final of the 2008 AFC (Asian Football Confederation) Under-16 Championship as well as the 2015 AFC Asian Cup. He had also secured the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2011 AFC Asian Cup. He has served as the captain of the senior national team and represented the country at the 2014 and 2018 FIFA World Cups. As of August 2022, with 3 goals, he was the country’s joint top scorer at FIFA World Cups. In June 2022, for his services to the sport, he received the ‘Cheongnyong Medal’, the highest order of merit for achievement in sports given to a South Korean citizen.
Chuncheon-si, Gangwon, South Korea
Hampstead, Camden, London, England, United Kingdom
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Son Woong-jung (Soccer Coach, Former Soccer Player)
- Mother – Eun Ja Kil
- Siblings – Son Heung-yun (Older Brother) (Soccer Coach, Former Soccer Player)
- 7, 9, 11 – South Korea
- 40, 15 – Hamburger SV
- 7 – Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Tottenham Hotspur F.C.
Son Heung-min’s net worth had been $20 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Son Heung-min has dated –
- Bang Min-ah (2014)
- Yoo So-young (2015–2016)
- Kim Ji-soo (2019) – Rumor
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Korean descent.
- Toned physique
- Slightly overgrown, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
He has served as the brand ambassador for –
- Adidas AG (German multinational corporation that designs and manufactures shoes, clothing, and accessories)
- Burberry (British luxury fashion house)
- Calvin Klein Inc. (American fashion house)
- Gillette (American brand of safety razors and other personal care products)
Son Heung-min Facts
- In 2013, Son Heung-min was transferred to Bayer 04 Leverkusen for a club record €10 million. About 2 years later, when he was snapped up by Tottenham Hotspur F.C., for £22 million, he had become the most expensive Asian soccer player in history.
- He was named the ‘AFC Asian International Player of the Year’ in 2015, 2017, and 2019.
- In 2019, he donated around £100k to the victims of a massive fire outbreak that had devastated Goseong County in his home province of Gangwon.
- In June 2019, he became just the 2nd Asian player in history, after Park Ji-sung, to reach and start a final of the UEFA Champions League.
- He owns Son Football Academy in his hometown of Chuncheon-si. It was established at a cost of £11 million and is run by his father and brother, both of whom are soccer coaches and former soccer players.
- Conscription in South Korea (which has existed since 1957) requires male citizens to perform compulsory military service. Son Heung-min was exempted from this compulsory military service after he won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2018 Jakarta-Palembang Asian Games. However, regardless of this exemption, he had to undergo basic military training. During the COVID-19 pandemic, taking advantage of the suspension of sporting activities globally, he completed this basic military training in the Republic of Korea Marine Corps in Jeju Province, in April-May 2020. He finished his training ranked in the ‘Top 5’ in a field of 157 trainees.
- In 2020, he was honored with the FIFA Puskás Award. It was instituted in October 2009 to honor the legendary Hungarian football player and manager Ferenc Puskás. The award is presented annually to the male or female player judged to have scored the ‘most beautiful goal’ of the calendar year.
- In May 2022, at the end of the 2021–22 season of the Premier League (the top level of the men’s English soccer league system), he jointly (with Mohamed Salah) won the ‘Golden Boot’ for scoring the most number of goals (23) in the season. Son Heung-min is the first Asian player to ever win this award.
- With Harry Kane, his attacking partner at Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Son Heung-min holds the all-time Premier League record (as of August 2022) for the most goal combinations between 2 players, wherein a goal is scored by one with an assist provided by the other in either direction.
- The duo also holds this record (as of August 2022) for a single match (4 goals) and a single season (14 goals in 2020-21). As of the start of the 2022-23 season, they have 41 total such combinations to their names, and these are almost evenly split between goals and assists for both of them. These records have often led many fans, pundits, and journalists to describe the pair as perhaps the greatest attacking duo in the league’s history.
- A polyglot, he is fluent in Korean, German, and English. It was reported by an agent that Son Heung-min was so determined to succeed as a soccer player in Europe that he learned German by watching subtitled episodes of the iconic American animated comedy TV series SpongeBob SquarePants. This was around 2008 when he had joined the youth team of the German professional soccer club Hamburger SV.
- He is a big fan of League of Legends, a highly popular multiplayer online battle arena video game.
Featured Image by Son Heung-min / Instagram