|Sue Bird Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 16, 1980|
Sue Bird is an American-Israeli former professional basketball player who has represented, as a point guard, the Seattle Storm (2002–Present) in the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA). Widely regarded as one of the best players ever to have played the league, she has won the WNBA Championship 4 times (2004, 2010, 2018, 2020) and has been named in the WNBA ‘All-Star Game’ 11 times (2002, 2003, 2005–2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018). In 2011, she was voted by fans in the list of the WNBA‘s ‘Top 15 Players of All Time’. In 2016, she was named in the ‘WNBA Top [email protected]’, a list of the 20 best players to have played the league, that was compiled to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the league. Representing the United States, she has won the FIBA (Fédération Internationale de Basketball) World Cup 4 times (2002, 2010, 2014, 2018) and the ‘Gold’ medal at the Summer Olympics 4 times (2004, 2008, 2012, 2016). During the WNBA off-season, she had represented teams such as Dynamo Moscow (2004–2006), Spartak Moscow Region (2006–2011), and UMMC Ekaterinburg (2011-2014). During this time, she had won the Russian National League Championship (2007, 2008, 2012–2014), the EuroLeague Championship (2007–2010, 2013), and the Europe SuperCup (2009, 2010).
Suzanne Brigit Bird
Syosset, Nassau County, New York, United States
Seattle, King County, Washington, United States
She holds dual nationality.
Sue had spent her freshman and sophomore years at Syosset High School but had joined the Christ the King Regional High School in Queens, New York, for her final 2 years as she had wished to play more competitive basketball. After her high school graduation, she had joined the University of Connecticut in 1998. She had graduated from there in 2002 with a degree in communication science.
Retired Professional Basketball Player
- Father – Herschel Bird
- Mother – Nancy Bird
- Siblings – Jen Bird (Older Sister)
10 – Seattle Storm
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Sue has dated –
- Nick Carter (2002)
- Megan Rapinoe (2016-Present) – Sue began dating professional soccer player Megan Rapinoe in 2016 after they met during the year’s Rio Olympics. She publicly came out as a lesbian on July 20, 2017, revealing her relationship with Megan. In 2018, they became the first same-sex couple to be featured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine‘s ‘Body Issue’. The couple announced their engagement on October 30, 2020.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ashkenazi Jewish (Russian) descent on her father’s side.
- Toned physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Cheerful smile
- Radiant face
She has served as the brand ambassador for the sports goods manufacturer, Nike.
Sue Bird Facts
- The last name of Sue’s father’s family was originally ‘Boorda’ which got changed to ‘Bird’ once the family emigrated to the United States from Russia.
- At the 2002 WNBA Draft, owing to her stellar performances in her college career, she had been picked 1st overall by the Seattle Storm.
- When she was starting her WNBA career, she had chosen to wear the number ’10’ on her shirt. The reason was that both she and her older sister were born in the 10th month of the year, October.
- As of November 2020, she had held the WNBA records for ‘Most Games Started’ and ‘Most Games Played’.
- On June 16, 2022, she revealed that she would be retiring from basketball after the 2022 WNBA season.
Featured Image by Sue Bird / Instagram