|Sunmi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5.5 in|
|Date of Birth||May 2, 1992|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sunmi is a South Korean singer who was previously the lead vocalist and bass guitarist of the K-pop girl group, Wonder Girls. She left the group in 2010 to concentrate on her academics and later emerged as a solo artist in 2013. She has done endorsement work for numerous brands like Dior, Versace, and L’Oréal. Sunmi also has a huge social media fan base with more than 8 million followers on Instagram.
Sunmi, Mimi, Deer, 4-Dimensional, Miya, Lee Sun-mi
Iksan, North Jeolla, South Korea
She went to Hwangnam Elementary School and then moved to the Chung Dam Middle School. Later, she graduated from Chung Dam High School.
To receive her university education, Sunmi moved to Dongguk University from where she majored in musical theatre.
- Siblings – Lee Seung Don (Younger Brother), Lee Sun Dong (Younger Brother)
She is managed by MAKEUS Entertainment.
Vocals, Bass Guitar
- JYP Entertainment
- MAKEUS Entertainment
5 ft 5.5 in or 166 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She often tends to dye her hair ‘dark brown’, ‘blonde’, or ‘pink’.
Previously, her fans assumed that she was a lesbian because of her short nails. But, nothing was confirmed as Sunmi later posted a picture captioning it “Is there anything wrong with my nails? Haha”.
She has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Wella Professionals
- Oryany Korea
Best Known For
- Having served as a member of the K-pop girl group Wonder Girls
- Her first solo single 24 Hours which managed to reach up to 2nd and 3rd ranks on South Korea’s Gaon Digital chart and Billboard’s Korea K-pop Hot 100 chart, respectively
- Sunmi released her debut studio album, The Wonder Years, with her former bandmates of Wonder Girls in 2007.
- As a solo artist, she has released a number of singles like Full Moon, 24 Hours, and Heroine.
- She released her debut EP (as a solo artist) titled Full Moon in February 2014.
First TV Show
Sunmi made her TV show debut on MTV Wonder Girls in 2006.
Sunmi Favorite Things
Source – Generasia.com, KProfiles.com
- She took the last name, Lee, of her step-father and combined it with her name and became Lee Sun-mi.
- She served as the lead vocalist and bassist of the girl group Wonder Girls.
- Sunmi left Wonder Girls in 2010 in order to focus on her academics. She rejoined the group in 2015 and co-wrote and co-produced many songs for the band.
- She debuted as a solo artist in August 2013.
- The group had to disband in 2017 because Sunmi and Yeeun, one of the Wonder Girls members, didn’t renew their contracts with JYP Entertainment.
- In March 2017, it was revealed that she had signed an exclusive contract with Makeus Entertainment.
- In August 2017, Sunmi released a new single titled Gashina, which debuted at No. 2 on the Gaon Digital Chart.
- In September 2018, she released a new EP titled Warning. It was named the 3rd best “k-pop album of 2018” by Billboard.
- In February 2020, her song, Gotta Go was featured in the soundtrack for the web series XX.
- In August 2020, Sunmi teamed up with J. Y. Park for a new single titled When We Disco.
- In February 2021, she released a new single album titled Tail.
- She released a new EP titled 1/6 in August 2021.
- Sunmi was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in the past.
- She is well-versed in Chinese and English.
- In March 2023, Sunmi and BE’O teamed up for a new song titled After the Lights Go Out.
Featured Image by doolki / Tistory / CC BY-4.0