|Ted Cruz Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 22, 1970|
Even before he became a member of the U.S. Senate, Ted Cruz was recognized as the next big star in the Republican setup. His immense success in debates while studying at the Princeton served as a proof of his supreme oratory skills which would serve him well later in his career. He later gave a proof of his commitment to the conservative causes while serving as the Solicitor General of Texas. He was the first Hispanic American to serve in that position. In 2013, he took his place in the U.S. Senate as the junior senator from the state. His staunch and vocal criticism of the Obama administration helped him further improve his standing with conservatives. But, he couldn’t use it to his advantage in the 2016 Presidential primaries as Trump managed to win.
Rafael Edward Cruz
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ted Cruz went to the Faith West Academy, a private Christian school in Harris County, Texas. He later studied at Second Baptist High School in Houston and graduated in 1988 as a valedictorian.
After high school graduation, he got enrolled at Princeton University. He graduated cum laude from the university with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Policy in 1992. He had studied at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University.
Then, he got admission at the Harvard Law School and graduated magna cum laude with a Juris Doctor degree in 1995.
- Father – Rafael Cruz (Protestant Preacher and Public Speaker)
- Mother – Eleanor Elizabeth Cruz (Computer Programmer)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Rafael Cruz (Paternal Grandfather), Emilia Laudelina Diaz (Paternal Grandmother), Edward John Darragh (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Eleanor Cekine (Paternal Grandmother), Miriam Ceferina Cruz (Older Paternal Half-sister), Roxana Lourdes Cruz (Older Paternal Half-sister)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ted Cruz has dated –
- Heidi Nelson (2001-Present) – In May 2001, Cruz got married to Heidi Nelson, an investment manager. They first met while he was working on George W. Bush’s 2000 presidential campaign. Over the course of their marriage, Heidi has given birth to 2 daughters – Caroline and Catherine.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish, Italian, and Cuban ancestry.
Prominent and Sharp Nose
He is a devout Christian and has often talked about his religious views in his political rallies.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the United States Senate. He was selected to the Senate in 2013 from Texas.
- Being one of the Republican candidates for the Presidential election in 2016. However, he couldn’t overcome stiff competition from Donald Trump to become the official Republican nominee for the election.
First TV Show
In March 2013, Ted Cruz made his first TV show appearance on the News talk show, On the Record w/ Brit Hume.
Ted Cruz Favorite Things
- Food – Cheese
- Movie – The Princess Bride
- TV Shows – Criminal Minds, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Breaking Bad
Source – US Magazine
Ted Cruz Facts
- His first job was that of a computer operator at his parents’ company. He was 11 years old at that time and was paid $1 an hour.
- While studying in high school, he went on a climbing expedition to the Mount Fuji in Japan.
- While studying at Princeton University, he managed to grab the top awards at the U.S. National Debating Championship and the North American Debating Championship in 1992.
- In 1992, he was selected as the U.S. National Speaker of the Year. He and his debate partner, David Panton, were declared Team of the Year by the American Parliamentary Debate Association.
- In 1995, he and David Panton were selected to represent Harvard Law School at the World Debating Championship. They were defeated in the semi-final stage by a team from Australia.
- While studying at the Harvard Law, he used to serve as a primary editor of the Harvard Law Review. He was also a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review and an executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy.
- In 1996, he served as a law clerk to William Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the United States. He became the first Hispanic to work as a clerk for a Chief Justice of the United States.
- In 1999, he was employed by George W. Bush presidential campaign to work as a domestic policy advisor. He advised Bush on a wide range of topics including criminal justice, civil justice, immigration, constitutional law, and government reform.
- After George W. Bush won the presidential election, Cruz was appointed as an Associate Deputy Attorney General in the U.S. Justice Department. He also worked as the director of policy planning with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
- The Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott appointed Cruz to the office of Solicitor General of Texas in 2003. He served the state of Texas in that position until 2008.
- While working as Solicitor General of Texas, he presented his state’s argument before the Supreme Court in 9 cases. They managed to win 5 cases but lost on 4 occasions.
- After leaving his position of Solicitor General, he returned to private law practice and started working with Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, a Houston based private law firm.
- In January 2011, he announced his intention to run for the U.S. Senate from Texas via a blogger conference call. The first endorsement he received was from former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
- His victory against sitting Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst in the Republican primary was considered by many as one of the biggest upsets of the year. Dewhurst had spent $19 million on his campaign while Cruz had merely spent $7 million.
- In recognition of his role in the shutdown of the government in October 2013, he was declared Man of the Year by the leading publications such as The American Spectator, FrontPage Magazine, and TheBlaze.
- His efforts in the shutdown were motivated by his desire to rein in the government. However, his critics such as fellow Republican Senator Lindsey Graham felt that the move was ineffective.
- After Obama reached the 2015 international nuclear agreement with Iran, he launched a severe criticism of the agreement and insisted that the deal will make Obama administration the largest financier of the Islamic terrorism.
- Although he often clashed with Donald Trump in the Republican Primaries, he has become Trump’s key ally in the U.S. Senate. He was one of the most vocal backers of Judge Brett Kavanaugh nomination for a seat in the U.S. Supreme Court.
- In March 2018, he managed to defeat his minor challenges in the Primary election for Republican party nomination for the U.S. Senate by the margin of 80%.
- In December 2022, it was reported that one of his daughters was hopitalized in Houston, Texas, due to self-inflicted stab wounds.
- Visit his official website @ tedcruz.org.
- Follow Ted Cruz on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Frank Fey / Office of Senator Ted Cruz / Public Domain