|Tika Sumpter Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 20, 1980|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Tika Sumpter is an American actress, producer, singer, television host, and model who first gained popularity as the host of the reality series, Best Friend’s Date and later portrayed roles like Layla Williamson in One Life to Live, Yvonne Fair in Get On Up, Michelle Robinson in Southside with You, Maddie Wachowski in Sonic the Hedgehog, and Nikki in Stomp the Yard: Homecoming. She has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as Whisper Me a Lullaby, A Madea Christmas, Ride Along 2, The Old Man & the Gun, The Nomads, Gossip Girl, The Game, Mixed-ish, The Haves and the Have Nots, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and many more. For her acting skills, Tika has been nominated for numerous awards such as the Gotham Award and NAACP Image Award.
Euphemia L. Sumpter
Queens, New York, United States
Tika graduated from Longwood Senior High School in Middle Island, New York. She, subsequently, attended Marymount Manhattan College in Manhattan, New York City to major in communications.
Model, actress, singer
- Father – Arthur Curtis Sumpter, Sr.
- Mother – Janice Acquista
She is signed to Brookside Artist Management.
Soul, R&B, disco
Atlantic, RCA Records
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
55 kg or 121 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Drake (2005)
- Hosea Chanchez (2005-2012) – Sumpter commenced dating Hosea Chanchez in May 2005. After two years of dating, the duo separated in May 2007, but they reconciled a couple of days later. On June 20, 2007, they engaged each other. On January 18, 2008, Sumpter found that she was pregnant. In the coming months, i.e. in May 2008, they again split. The reason being, Hosea married another lady. She gave birth to the couple’s first child on August 26, 2008. They again became an item in February 2009. They engaged again on May 1, 2009. The couple finally married on September 25, 2009. On April 4, 2011, Tika gave birth to another child, a girl. On June 5, 2011, they split for the final time and filed for divorce, which was finalized on March 26, 2012.
- Nicholas James (2015-Present) – Tika started dating her The Haves and the Have Nots co-star, Nicholas James, in 2015. The couple got engaged on Christmas Day of 2016 and eventually tied the knot on May 14, 2022, in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. They have a daughter together named Ella-Loren (b. October 8, 2016). Despite numerous press outlets reporting that James was the father, Tika had waited until Christmas Day of 2016, the day of her engagement to Nicholas, to confirm this. The couple got married in 2022 in Mexico.
Race / Ethnicity
34-24-34 in or 87-61-86 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
As a model, she has appeared in commercials about Hewlett-Packard and Liz Claiborne’s Curve fragrances.
Best Known For
Playing Layla Williamson on ABC’s soap opera One Life to Live from 2005 to 2011. She appeared in a total of 234 episodes in this time. In 2008, she also got nominated for “NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Daytime Drama Series”.
As a Singer
She has contributed to the 2012 film Sparkle’s soundtrack along with Jordin Sparks, Whitney Houston, Carmen Ejogo, Cee Lo Green, and many others.
She co-contributed to songs like “Hooked on Your Love”, “Jump”, and “Something He Can Feel”.
She debuted her on-screen performance with the 2009 crime film Brooklyn’s Finest for her minor role as a neighborhood girl. Her role is uncredited.
First TV Show
From 2004 to 2005, Tika co-hosted the N network’s show Best Friend’s Date.
She works with a personal trainer during Zumba classes to relieve stress for that day. She went to Pure Barre classes and declared it as the hardest workout, she has ever done. After her third visit to these classes, she started feeling changes in her body.
She eats fruits, oatmeal, and almonds. Tika makes her own smoothies. She prefers smoothies over snacks. She cannot say “No” to the red velvet cake if she sees it. She eats it in moderation, once in a while.
Tika Sumpter Favorite Things
- Food – Red velvet cake
Source – US Magazine
Tika Sumpter Facts
- In the olden days, her family struggled financially.
- She has been featured in the music video of Jason Derulo‘s It Girl as his own girlfriend.
- She played Raina Thorpe in the Gossip Girl in 2011 in 11 episodes.
- From 2011 to 2012, she was doing the comedy-drama TV series The Game in which she played the role as Jenna Rice. She appeared in a total of 10 episodes.
- She has done competitive cheerleading in the past.
- Tika is active in dancing since the age of nine. She has learned tap, jazz, and ballet.
- She has done voiceover work in video games for characters such as Nightfall in Final Space: The Rescue (2022).