Whitney Elizabeth Houston
Nippy, The Prom Queen of Soul, The Princess of Pop, The Voice
Whitney Houston was born on August 9, 1963.
Whitney Houston died at the age of 48 on February 11, 2012, in Los Angeles. She had drowned because of drug intoxication.
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Whitney Houston went to the Mount Saint Dominic Academy, which is a Catholic girls’ high school based in Caldwell, New Jersey.
Singer, Actress, Film producer, Record producer, Model
- Father – John Russell Houston, Jr. (Army serviceman and Entertainment executive)
- Mother – Emily “Cissy” (Drinkard) Houston (Gospel Singer)
- Siblings – Michael Houston (Older Brother) (Singer), Gary Garland (Older Half-Brother) (Former Professional Basketball Player)
- Others – John Russell Houston (Paternal Grandfather), Sarah Elizabeth Collins (Paternal Grandmother), Nitcholas Auther Drinkard (Maternal Grandfather), Adelia/Delia Mae McCaskill (Maternal Grandmother), Dionne Warwick (Cousin) (Singer and Actress), Dee Dee Warwick (Cousin) (Singer)
Whitney Houston was managed by Clive Davis, who is also the president and founder of Arista Records.
R&B, Pop, Soul, Gospel
Vocals and Piano
- Arista Records
- RCA Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Whitney Houston has dated –
- Alvin Love – Whitney reportedly had an affair with a pastor named Alvin Love. He was also a singer and songwriter.
- Eddie Murphy (1980-1983) – Whitney Houston started going out with actor and comedian Eddie Murphy in the early 80s. They reportedly got engaged in August 1982. In fact, in his interviews, Eddie claimed that they weren’t dating and were merely hanging out together.
- Jermaine Jackson – Houston reportedly had an affair with singer and songwriter Jermaine Jackson, who is also the older brother of Michael Jackson, in the mid-80s. Their secret affair lasted for about a year and during the time period of their relationship, Jermaine was a married man, which made it even more complicated. It was claimed that her single, Saving All My Love for You, was inspired by their affair. Their affair was confirmed by her manager and close confidant, Clive Davis.
- Randall Cunningham (1985-1987) – Whitney started going out with former NFL star Randall Cunningham in the summer of 1985. It was claimed that he had gone very hard in order to impress her, including showering her with red roses. They decided to end their relationship towards the end of 1987.
- Robyn Crawford – Whitney had a lesbian affair with her assistant Robyn Crawford towards the end of the 80s. Their alleged affair was widely covered by the mainstream media at that time.
- Kelly McGillis – Houston was also rumored to have had another lesbian affair with actress Kelly McGillis, who is best known for being cast in the role of Tom Cruise’s flame in Top Gun, in the late 80s. The fact that McGillis came out as a lesbian later in her life, made her close friendship with Houston even more suspicious.
- Bobby Brown (1989-2007) – Whitney Houston first met singer and songwriter Bobby Brown in 1989 at the Soul Train Music Awards. They started dating shortly after. After dating for nearly 3 years, they got married in July 1992. It has been agreed that she became a habitual drug abuser after their marriage and some have even blamed Brown for hooking her on the drugs. In March 1993, she gave birth to their daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, who passed away in July 2015 after having battled for life since her drug overdose in January 2015. Whitney also suffered miscarriage on three occasions (1991, 1994, and 1996) during the course of their marriage. They officially separated in September 2006 and got a divorce in April 2007.
- Michael Jackson (1991) – As per Michael Jackson’s former bodyguard Matt Fiddes, Whitney and Jackson had a brief fling in 1991. She reportedly spent 2 weeks at his legendary Neverland Ranch.
- Tupac Shakur – Whitney was accused of having an affair with iconic rapper Tupac Shakur by Bobby Brown. Brown alleged that she went out with Tupac while she was married to him.
- Ray J (2007-2008 and 2009-2012) – Whitney had an on and off relationship with singer Ray J starting from 2007 to her untimely death in 2012. They dated for just a year before they decided to end it in 2008. However, they decided to get back together in 2009. They were reported to be in a relationship when she died in February 2012. During the course of their relationship, they were spotted together at numerous red carpet events.
Race / Ethnicity
She had African American ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
She preferred to dye her hair ‘blonde’.
- Strong chin
- Curly hair
Whitney Houston has appeared in TV adverts for the following brands –
- Diet Coke
- Canada Dry
- Steak and Ale
- AT&T True Voice
She was raised in a devout Baptist household and she even sang in Baptist church choir. She seemed to have retained those religious views as an adult as well.
Best Known For
- Being one of the best-selling music artists. She sold more than 200 million records. Several of her albums went to achieve platinum, diamond, and gold certifications.
- Being a cultural icon and role model for the female African American singers of the next generation.
- Having collaborated with well-established music stars such as Mariah Carey, Jermaine Jackson, and George Michael.
In February 1985, she released her debut studio album, Whitney Houston, which was a resounding success. The album was certified ‘Platinum’ in several countries, including certification of 13× Platinum in the United States.
In 1992, she made her theatrical film debut in the leading role opposite Kevin Costner in the romantic drama, The Bodyguard. The movie was the 2nd most grossing movie of that year with $441 million global collections.
First TV Show
In 1984, Whitney Houston made her first TV show appearance in the Katie’s College episode of the NBC sitcom, Gimme a Break!
Her workout routine and diet plan were never known.
Whitney Houston Favorite Things
- Movie – Sparkle
- School Subject – History
- Color – Purple
- Actress – Jessica Lange
- Cereal – Fruity Pebbles
Source – IMDb
Whitney Houston Facts
- Before she started working as a recording artist, she achieved notable success as a model. She graced the covers of the popular magazines such as Glamour, Cosmopolitan, and Seventeen. In fact, she was one of the first women of color to appear on the cover of Seventeen.
- She was offered recording contracts by Elektra Records in 1981 and by Michael Zager in 1980. But her mother insisted that she completed her high school education before starting working full time on her music.
- In September 2001, she was falsely reported to have passed away by several leading tabloids. Her representative had to release a statement to rubbish such rumors.
- When her debut album Whitney Houston zoomed to the top of Billboard 200 albums chart, she became the first female singer to debut at such a high position.
- In 2009, she claimed the Guinness World Record for the most awarded female act in the history of music. She is the first female artist to have won 26 major awards.
- When in April 1988, her single Where Do Broken Hearts Go nabbed the 1st position on music charts, she became the first artist to have 7 consecutive singles on Billboard’s number 1 position.
- She was one of the frontrunners to bag the role of Sondra Huxtable on The Cosby Show. However, Sabrina Le Beauf managed to edge her out on the basis of her theatre experience.
- In 1997, she was honored by renaming of the Franklin School in East Orange, New Jersey to The Whitney E. Houston Academy School of Creative and Performing Arts.
- She was honored by the Grambling State University, Louisiana with an honorary doctorate in humanities.
- She was once placed on the 24th spot by VH1 in their list of 100 Sexiest Artists. They also placed her in the 61st position in the list featuring Greatest Women of Rock N Roll.
- She was offered the role of Grace Hitchens on musical drama TV series, Glee. However, she decided to turn the role down.
- She became a member of the junior gospel choir at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark as a soloist at the age of 11.
- In 1983, she was discovered by Gerry Griffith, an A&R representative from Arista Records, while performing in a New York City nightclub with her mother. He alerted his boss Clive Davis about her talents, and upon seeing her perform firsthand, he offered her worldwide contract.
- When she bagged 5 awards at the 6th World Music Awards in 1994, she became the record holder for the most VMAs won in a single year.
- Visit her official website @ whitneyhouston.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Instagram, Google+, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Asterio Tecson / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0