Lesane Parish Crooks
Tupac Shakur, Tupac, 2Pac, Makaveli, Pac
Tupac was born on June 16, 1971.
Tupac passed away at the age of 25 on September 13, 1996, in Las Vegas due to a drive-by shooting.
East Harlem, New York, United States
Oakland, California, United States
Tupac Shakur went to the Paul Laurence Dunbar High School. After the completion of his 2nd year, he got enrolled at the Baltimore School for the Arts, where he studied jazz, acting, poetry, and ballet.
He also attended Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, San Francisco. In 1989, he took poetry classes of Leila Steinberg.
Rapper and Actor
- Father – Billy Garland (Member of Black Panther Party)
- Mother – Afeni Shakur (Activist, Businesswoman, and Member of Black Panther Party)
- Siblings – Sekyiwa Shakur (Younger Half-sister), Mopreme Shakur (Older Stepbrother) (Rapper)
- Others – Walter Williams, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather), Rosa Belle McLellan (Maternal Grandmother), Mutulu Shakur (Stepfather) (Was on the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted Fugitives list), Geronimo Pratt (Godfather) (Military veteran and Member of Black Panther Party)
Hip-hop, Gangsta rap
- Interscope (1991–96)
- Death Row (1995–96)
- Makaveli Records (1996)
5 ft 9.25 in or 176 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tupac Shakur has dated –
- Angel Kelly – The American p*rnographic actress Angel Kelly got to know Tupac through her mutual friend. After having met Tupac through her mutual friend, she hung out with him on several occasions.
- Salli Elise Richardson – Tupac was introduced to actress Salli Elise Richardson by a mutual friend. As per his bodyguard, Tupac used to spend most of his time in between shots (for an unidentified movie) in a trailer with the actress. He also claimed that they were very much into each other and he had even gifted her an expensive diamond studded heart shaped necklace. Their relationship ended abruptly without any apparent reason as per his bodyguard.
- Sharise Neil – According to reports, Tupac had a short-lived affair with TV actress Sharise in the past.
- Nina Hartley – Tupac had sexual encounters with adult actress Nina Hartley. He had cast her in the music video of his single, How Do You Want It.
- Heather Hunter – Another adult actress he had cast in the music video of How Do You Want It was Heather Hunter. He also had a steamy fling with her.
- Jara Everett – According to reports, Tupac had a fling with actress and singer Jara Everett.
- Tameka “Tiny” Cottle – The singer and songwriter Tameka “Tiny” Cottle often claimed that she had a secret affair with Tupac in the early 90s.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (1986-1989) – Tupac first met actress Jada Pinkett Smith in the mid-80s while they were studying at the Baltimore School for the Arts. They were initially close friends before they started dating. Jada and Tupac were pictured kissing and making out on a couple of occasions but they never publicly revealed that they were in fact dating. They remained in close touch until his untimely death.
- Yolanda Whittaker (1991-1996) – It has been reported that Tupac started going out with recording artist Yolanda Whittaker at the start of the 90s. Their relationship, which was punctuated by several of his other romantic dalliances, lasted for about 5 years. She was with him in the hospital shortly after he was fatally shot.
- Lisa Lopes (1991) – Tupac started going out with rapper and singer, Lisa Lopes in the summer of 1991. He had apparently left his number with a mutual friend to give it to Lisa after having seen her near Atlanta State University. She got in touch with him and they dated for a couple of months.
- Rosie Perez (1993) – Tupac took actress and TV host Rosie Perez as a date to the Soul Train Music Awards in 1993. Apparently, her original date had stood her up and Tupac had come to her rescue. She allegedly repaid his kindness by setting him up with pop singer Madonna.
- Madonna – In her interviews, Madonna has claimed that she dated Tupac for 3 years. As you read above, Rosie Perez claimed to have set them up. However, his brother Mopreme Shakur has often claimed that he had set them up as he had passed on a note to Tupac which was given by Madonna. Tupac ended their relationship in January 1995 via a letter he wrote in prison. In his letter, he explained that he had broken up with her because she was white. He explained that if he had remained with her, he would be letting many of his fans and supporters down.
- Keisha Morris – While he was serving time in prison, Tupac got married to his longtime girlfriend Keisha Morris in April 1995. However, their marriage didn’t last long as they got divorced in 1996. He later claimed that they had got married for wrong reasons.
- Kidada Jones (1995-1996) – Tupac had started going out with actress and model Kidada Jones in the mid-90s. They even got engaged in 1995. And, they were reported to be together until his death in September 1996. She was one of the last persons he spoke to before his death.
- Sarah Chapman (1995) – Tupac had an affair with model Sarah Chapman in 1995.
- Whitney Houston – Tupac reportedly had an affair with American singer, model, and actress Whitney Houston. Whitney’s ex-husband Bobby Brown accused her of having an affair with Tupac.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African American ancestry.
- Often tied a bandanna over his head.
- French goatee
Tupac’s footages and musical works have been used in TV adverts for the following –
- Google Play
- Hologram USA
His religious views aren’t known. However, his songs do points towards Christian values.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most influential rappers in the history of the hip-hop.
- Having sold more than 75 million records all over the world.
- Being one of the enduring cultural icons for the African American population.
In 1991, he released his debut studio album, 2Pacalypse Now, which was certified as gold in U.S. On the 25th anniversary in November 2016, the album was released on cassette and vinyl.
In 1991, Tupac made his first theatrical film appearance in a minor role in comedy horror flick, Nothing but Trouble.
First TV Show
In 1992, Tupac made his television show debut in the Cruisin’ episode of Drexell’s Class.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Tupac Favorite Things
- Actor – Jim Carrey
- Singer – Prince
- Rap Album – Grip It! On That Other Level by Geto Boys
- Drink – Fanta Orange Soda
- His name was renamed after Túpac Amaru II, who was a Peruvian revolutionary and fought against the Spanish rule in the 18th century.
- At the age of 13, he was cast in the role of Travis Younger in A Raisin in the Sun, which was performed at Harlem’s Apollo Theatre and was used to raise funds for Jesse Jackson’s campaign to become US president.
- He started his rapping journey in Baltimore and used to perform under the stage name of MC New York.
- While he was studying in a school in Baltimore, he became a member of the Young Communist League USA.
- In 1990, he started his entertainment career by working as a backup dancer with the alternative hip-hop group, Digital Underground. He eventually got started featuring in their soundtracks.
- As per his former wife Keisha Morris, he had auditioned for the role of Bubba in the iconic movie, Forrest Gump, but was rejected by the show producers.
- He was roped in to play the lead role in the crime drama movie, Menace II Society. However, he assaulted the co-director Allen Hughes, which prompted the producers to replace him with Larenz Tate. He also had to spend 15 days in prison.
- Before he was going to shoot a lovemaking scene with Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice, he was asked to take an HIV test by the producers.
- In November 1993, he was charged with sexually assaulting a woman in a hotel room. He was eventually convicted of the crime and had to serve 9 months in jail before he was released on bail.
- Before he started his huge feud with rapper Biggie, he was actually his good friend. He had even accused him of being a main player behind the mugging event, in which he was shot at. He insisted that mugging was a simple cover up for an assassination plot.
- When his studio album, Me Against the World, zoomed to the top of the Billboard 200 charts, he became the first artist to achieve the distinction while serving a jail sentence.
- It has been reported that after he was cremated, the members of his hip-hop group, Outlawz, mixed Tupac’s ashes with some marijuana and smoked it.
- In 1993, he shot two off-duty police officers (one was shot in buttocks, while other was shot in back, leg, or abdomen). However, the charges were later dropped after it was found that the police officers were drunk, in possession of stolen weapons, and had lied to fellow police officers.
- He was pretty fond of tattoos and had got words ‘Thug Words’ tattooed on his abdomen.
- During his prison sentence, he had become a huge fan of iconic writer Niccolò Machiavelli and even altered the spelling of Italian writer’s name for his stage name, Makaveli.
- He is reported to have been offered his first recording contract at the age of 13. However, his mother turned it down as she felt he was too young and had a lot to learn.
- In November 1994, he was mugged by a pair of muggers, who shot him 5 times in the lobby of a recording studio in New York City. He managed to survive and boasted about it in several of his songs.
- As a result of a poll conducted in 2005 by the Rolling Stones magazine, Tupac was placed on the 6th spot in the list featuring “100 Immortal Artists of All-Time”.
- He holds the distinction of being the first rap or hip-hop artist to have his wax statue featured in the Madame Tussauds museum in Las Vegas.
- He decided to rename his publishing company from Ghetto Gospel to Joshua’s Dream, in honor of a terminally ill 11-year-old fan whose dying wish was to meet Tupac.
- The VH1 channel had once placed him on the 3rd spot in the list featuring “50 Greatest Hip Hop Artists”.
- In October 1991, he slapped a $10 million lawsuit against the Oakland Police Department, in which he accused them of brutally assaulting him for jaywalking. The settlement was eventually received for a far smaller sum, which was only sufficient to cover his legal costs.
- In August 1992, a 6-year-old Qa’id Walker-Teal was killed by a shot discharged from pistol legally registered in Tupac’s name. The charges were never filed but his mother filed a wrongful death suit against him in 1995. They eventually agreed out of court settlement.
- In April 1993, he was charged with felonious assault after he tried to hit rapper Chauncey Wynn with a baseball bat. He eventually pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and in exchange, charges of felonious assault were dropped.
- Visit his official website @ 2pac.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Cliff / Flickr / CC BY-2.0