Mary Jane Blige
Queen of Hip-Hop-Soul, MB, Mary J
The Bronx, New York City, New York, USA
Mary Jane was educated at Roosevelt High School.
When she was in eleventh grade, she dropped out of high school to pursue a career in music.
Singer, Actress, Songwriter, Model, Record Producer
- Father – Thomas Blige (Jazz Musician)
- Mother – Cora Blige (Nurse)
- Siblings – LaTonya Blige – DaCosta (Younger Sister), Bruce Miller (Younger Half-Brother)
Mary J. Blige is signed to Tencer & Associates PR.
R&B, Soul, Neo Soul, Hip Hop Soul
- Verve Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
145 lbs or 66 kg
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mary J. Blige dated –
- Case Woodard – Mary dated the R&B singer Case Woodard in the past.
- Sean Combs
- K-Ci Hailey (1992 – 1997) – Mary dated the American singer K-Ci Hailey for five years. They were engaged for a short period before they split up.
- Treach – Rumored
- Nas (1997) – Mary dated the well-known American rapper Nas in 1997.
- Kendu Isaacs (2000 – Present) – In 2000, Mary Jane commenced dating the American record industry executive Kendu Isaacs. After 3 years of being in a relationship, the couple got married on December 7, 2003.
Race / Ethnicity
- Her beautiful deep voice
- Blonde hair
36-32-38 in or 91.5-81-96.5 cm
10 (US) or 12 (UK) or 40 (EU)
8 (US) or 6 (UK) or 38.5 (EU)
Mary has appeared in TV commercials for Reebok (2003), Coca-Cola (2004), GAP clothing stores (2004), Propel Fitness Water (2007) and Chevrolet Tahoe (2007).
She has also appeared in print ads for Chevy Malibu (2007), Crest Toothpaste Healthy Smiles (2005), MAC Viva Glam III Lipstick (2000), and MAC cosmetics (2000).
Best Known For
She is known for winning 9 Grammy Awards and for releasing 11 studio albums, including Love & Life (2003), Growing Pains (2007), The Breakthrough (2005) and probably the most popular one No More Drama in 2001.
What’s the 411? was Mary’s debut album that was released on July 28, 1992. It consisted of 12 tracks and its length was 51 min and 59 sec.
The album was recorded in Uptown, MCA label in 1991-1992.
Mary J. Blige first gained notice in the movie Angel: One More Road to Cross (2001), in which she played the role of a Guardian Angel.
First TV Show
Mary first appeared on TV in 1995 in the TV series New York Undercover, playing the role as herself.
In the series, she shows up in the episodes Private Enemy No. 1 and Tag You’re Dead.
Mary focuses on exercising on a daily basis. Her personal trainer is the well-known fitness celebrity trainer Mark Jenkins. Mark has trained many other celebrities such as Puffy, Beyonce and D’Angelo.
Mary J. Blige Favorite Things
- Food – Seafood, French food, English food, Italian food
- Word – Love
Source – The Guardian
Mary J. Blige Facts
- Mary worked as a Directory Assistance operator before she focused on becoming a singer.
- Mary’s mother has survived a knife attack by her neighbor.
- Blige was placed on the 69th place on the VH1’s 100 Sexiest Artists.
- She has implemented part of the movie Waiting to Exhale (1995) in the video of Not Gon’ Cry.
- Mary showed great passion about Led Zeppelin when she was a kid. She even performed one of their songs, Stairway to Heaven when she attended The Oprah Winfrey Show (1986).
- Matriarch Records is the name of the record label that Mary opened back in 2004.
- The musical group Just’Us was discovered by Blige.
- In 2010, Blige created a perfume with the name My Life which was placed on Home Shopping Network. The product was launched through Carol’s Daughter, a line of beauty products.
- Mary also launched sunglasses by the name Melodies by MJB. The new line was released in October 2010 and consisted of four styles and 20 different color options to choose from.
- Rolling Stones, Vibe and Time have chosen Mary’s album My Life (1994) among the greatest albums of all time.
- In mid 90’s, Blige achieved the Legends Award for her work of mixing both hip-hop and soul.
- Blige was ranked as number one on the Billboard’s list as the Most Successful Female R&B Artist of the past 25 years.