Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones
Nasty Nas, Nas Escobar, Nastradamus
Crown Heights, Brooklyn, New York, United States
His formal education info isn’t available.
Rapper, songwriter, record producer, actor, entrepreneur
- Father – Olu Dara (Jazz and Blues Musician)
- Mother – Fannie Ann Jones (Postal Service Worker)
- Siblings – Jabari Fret (aka Jungle) (Brother) (Member of the hip-hop band, Bravehearts)
Nas is represented by ICM Partners.
Columbia, Ill Will, Def Jam Recordings, Mass Appeal Records
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
81 kg or 179 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nas has dated –
- Foxy Brown – Nas was RUMORed to have dated singer Foxy Brown, who was a member of the hip-hop band created by Nas.
- Tracee Ellis Ross – Nas had a steamy fling with actress and model Tracee Ellis Ross.
- Karrine Steffans – Nas had a RUMORed romp with writer Karrine Steffans. In her memoirs, The Vixen Diaries, she was less than complimentary about his performance in the bedroom.
- K. D. Aubert – It was reported that Nas had a short-lived affair with actress and model K. D. Aubert.
- Amy Winehouse – Nas and English singer Amy Winehouse were introduced by the producer, Salaam Remi, having worked with both artists. Amy had a big crush on Nas and her 2006 single, Me and Mr. Jones was about Nelly. Amy used to call Remi on Skype at his studio and instead of talking to him, she used to end up chatting with Nas. Eventually, they got each other’s number and would talk privately.
- Carmen Bryan (1994-2001) – Carmen Bryan gave birth to Nas’s daughter, Destiny in June 1994. As per her book, It’s No Secret, she was the cause of beef between Nas and Jay-Z as she was having an affair with Jay, which undoubtedly proved to be the end of her relationship with Nas. Jay’s song, Is That Your Chick? was about her and a subtle dig aimed at Nas.
- Mary J. Blige (1997) – According to Carmen’s book, Nas had an affair with soul singer, Mary J. Blige in the 90’s. Nas dumped Mary after she snorted lines of cocaine in front of him.
- Kelis (2003-2009) – Nas started dating R&B singer Kelis in 2003 after having met during an after-party at Sean Combs‘s bacchanal at Cipriani restaurant. After he proposed to her on the Christmas Eve at her mother’s house, they engaged about a year later. They got married in 2005 in an intimate ceremony in Atlanta. About 4 years post marriage, Kelis filed for divorce (She was already pregnant). In July 2009, Kelis gave birth to a son Knight. Their divorce got finalized in May 2010.
- Nicki Minaj (2017-2018) – In May 2017, Nas commenced dating the singer, Nicki Minaj. They remained together for the entire year and called it quits in January 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Nas is of Yoruba, Fulbe, and Scandinavian descent.
- Gritty voice
- Mole mark below his left eye
Nas has starred in commercials for
- Bevel’s New Electric Trimmer
- Fila (2008)
- 21 INC
He is a member of Five Percenters.
His dad was a Muslim and mom a Christian.
Best Known For
- The immense success of his studio album Illmatic, which has been called as one of the greatest rap albums.
- His highly publicized feud with rapper and music mogul, Jay-Z.
Nas released his debut studio album Illmatic in 1994.
In 1998, Nas made his film debut with crime drama film Belly in the role of Sincere.
First TV Show
In 2002, he guest appeared in the music series Top of the Pops NL as himself.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Nas Favorite Things
- Baseball Team – New York Mets
- Upcoming Artist – Bishop Nehru
- Artist To Work With – Damien Marley
- Book – Pryor Convictions (By Richard Pryor)
- TV Shows – Modern Family, The Walking Dead, House of Cards
- Hip Hop Artists – Jay Electronica, Rick Ross, Schoolboy Q, YG, Young Jeezy
- Sneaker – Retro Jordans
- Video Game – Ms. Pac-Man
- Pizza Restaurant – Supreme Pizza near Madison Square Garden in New York City
Source – Wikipedia, Buzz Feed, Reddit AMA
- In April 2013, he paid a six-figure amount to acquire a controlling stake in the Mass Appeal Magazine. As part of the deal, he also got the magazine’s “Associate Publisher” post.
- In June 2013, he opened his own sneaker store.
- He has business partnership deals with online retail company 12Society.com and annual music festival, Rock the Bells.
- In May 2014, he announced his philanthropic gesture by providing a scholarship to 10 college graduates so that they can complete the training program of Koru, a job placement startup.
- In 2015, Billboard included him in the list featuring “10 Best Rappers of All Time”.
- In January 2012, he was embroiled in a dispute over his performance in Angola’s capital on the New Year Eve. He had accepted a payment of $300,000 but had failed to turn up.
- In September 2009, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) had fielded a tax lien against him to seek payment of over $2.5 million, which was owed as unpaid taxes since 2006.
- The Harvard University has honored him by setting up Nasir Jones Hip-Hop Fellowship to provide financial support for talented and emerging artists in hip hop genre.
- He was placed on #1 position in the 2014 list by About.com of the “50 Greatest MCs of All Time.”
- The Source placed Nas on #2 on the list of “Top 50 Lyricists of All Time” in 2012.
- Visit his official website @ nasirjones.com.
- Follow Nas on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTubeVEVO, MySpace, Tumblr, Google+ VEVO, and iTunes.