|Foxy Brown Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||September 6, 1978|
Foxy Brown is an American rapper, model, songwriter, and actress, best known for her solo albums, as well as numerous collaborations with other rappers and musicians. After being discovered by the rapper LL Cool J, she released her debut solo album Ill Na Na in 1996, which was met with mixed reviews, but very strong sales – over 109k copies in the 1st week. Well-known rappers Method Man, Jay-Z, Blackstreet, and Kid Capri also appeared as featured artists, which ultimately led to the album becoming certified ‘Platinum’ in the United States. Foxy was also a part of a rap supergroup titled The Firm, alongside Nas, AZ, and Nature, and took part in the release of their debut studio album titled The Firm: The Album in 1997 which debuted at the number 1 spot on the Billboard 200 chart.
Foxy Brown released her 2nd studio album titled Chyna Doll (1999), which also debuted at the 1st spot on the Billboard 200 chart, and sold more than 173k copies in the 1st week. In 2001, her 3rd studio album was released, titled Broken Silence, which debuted at the 5th spot on the Billboard 200 chart, and later sold over 500k copies. 2 years later, after a few controversies and illegal troubles, her 4th album Ill Na Na 2: The Fever (2003) wasn’t released officially, but leaked it on the Internet. A well-known mixtape Brooklyn’s Don Diva was released 5 years later, on May 13, 2008.
Inga DeCarlo Fung Marchand
Foxy Brown, The Ill Na Na, Dutchess, The Vixen of Hip Hop, King Fox, Fox Boogie, Hip-Hop Princess
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Foxy Brown attended Brooklyn College Academy in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States.
Rapper, Songwriter, Model, Actress
- Father – Keith Stahler
- Mother – Judith Marchand (Teacher)
- Siblings – Gavin “Pretty Boy” Marchand (Older Brother) (Rapper), Anton Marchand (Brother)
Foxy Brown is represented by –
- Invincible Media Group (Manager, Talent Agent) in New York City, New York, United States
- Universal Attractions (Talent Agent) in New York City, New York, United States
- Love Logan Productions (Publicist) in Bloomfield, New Jersey, United States
- S. Carter Records
- Bad Boy
- Koch (Entertainment One Music)
- Roc-a-Fella Records
- Rush Records / Def Jam Recordings
- Black Rose (current)
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Foxy Brown has dated –
- Nas – She was rumored to be in a relationship with rapper Nas in the past.
- Allen Iverson – It is rumored that she had an encounter with the well-known basketball player, Allen Iverson in the past.
- Jay-Z – It was rumored that she dated the rapper at some point before 1996, as they worked together on her 1st studio album released that year.
- Ol’ Dirty Bastard – Foxy had a brief encounter with Wu-Tang Clan rapper in the past.
- Kurupt (1996-2000) – Foxy began dating rapper Kurupt in 1996 after they worked together on her 1st album. After 3 years of dating, the pair got engaged, but quickly separated just 1 year later, in 2000.
- Spragga Benz (2000-2004) – She began dating the dancehall DJ around 2000, and in 2001, the two were already engaged. Their relationship didn’t last a long time, and in 2004, the pair got separated.
- Tyson Beckford (2005) – She had an encounter with the model, Tyson Beckford in 2005, but not a lot of details surfaced in the media.
- Rick Ross (2008) – Foxy dated another rapper, Rick Ross for a period of only 3 months, between April and July 2008.
- Foxy Brown gave birth to her 1st child, daughter C’Yani or Baby C, as she called her, on January 13, 2017, but kept the details about her boyfriend/husband away from public’s eye.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and Asian)
She is of Dougla (Afro-Trinidadian and Indo-Trinidadian), and Chinese Trinidadian descent.
- Voluptuous physique
- Afro haircut
Foxy Brown has endorsed brands such as –
- Fendi (2019)
- Bloom (2019)
- Giuseppe Zanotti (2018)
Foxy Brown appeared in a TV commercial for Mistic Juices, and in a print advertisement for Calvin Klein Jeans in 1999.
Best Known For
- Her albums Ill Na Na (1996), Chyna Doll (1999), Broken Silence (2001), Ill Na Na 2: The Fever (2003), Brooklyn’s Don Diva (2008), and King Fox (2019), and 2 collaborative albums The Firm: The Album (1997) with the rapper The Firm, and Thelma & Louise with Nicki Minaj, scheduled to be released in early 2020
- Notable singles Get Me Home (1996), I’ll Be (1997), Big Bad Mamma (1997), Firm Biz (1997), Hot Spot (1998), as well as I Can’t (1999), J.O.B. (1999), Candy (2001), I Need a Man (2003), Magnetic (2003), We Don’t Surrender (2007), When the Lights Go Out (2007), and Star Cry (2008)
- Appearing in 2 movies – Woo (1998) as Fiancée, and Fade to Black (2004) as herself
Foxy Brown released her debut studio album titled Ill Na Na on November 19, 1996, under Def Jam Recordings and Viator labels. The album consisted of 13 tracks, out of which 3 singles really stood out – Get Me Home, Big Bad Mamma, and I’ll Be. The album debuted at the number 7 spot on the Billboard 200 chart, and later went certified ‘Platinum’ with more than 1 million copies in the United States, and sold more than 3 million copies worldwide.
Foxy Brown made her first theatrical film appearance as Fiancée in the romantical comedy Woo in 1998, alongside Jada Pinkett Smith.
First TV Show
Foxy Brown made her first TV show appearance as herself in an episode titled Mint Condition/For Real/Case Featuring Foxy Brown/Southside B.O.I.Z. of the music talk-show Soul Train in 1996.
Foxy Brown Favorite Things
- Female Rappers – Lauryn Hill, Lady May
- Personal Quote – “All my friends were in the park smoking weed and getting pregnant. I didn’t want to be the young black girl having a baby, a baby’s father, being on welfare. That wasn’t going to be my story.”
Foxy Brown Facts
- She grew up with her mother and 2 brothers, in a house in Park Slope, Brooklyn, New York City, New York.
- Foxy said it wasn’t a hood where they lived, but that they regularly visited the hood, which inspired her music even though she didn’t have a rough upbringing.
- She described her brother Anton as the laid-back guy, while the other, Gavin, known as Pretty Boy, was more aggressive towards pushing it in the music industry. He was arrested in 2010 after he purchased $7500 worth of clothing with a fake credit card, and it went through.
- Her family lived a few blocks away from The Notorious B.I.G. and his family.
- When her Ain’t No N*gga track dropped when she was 16, she did it for free. Foxy subsequently left her high school education in order to focus on music, as she started skipping or slacking on classes.
- Foxy Brown was always a fan of high-end fashion. She wore and mentioned in her rap lyrics brands such as Dolce & Gabanna, Prada, Armani, Versace, Moschino, Emilio Pucci, Fendi, BCBG, Gucci, and Louie and BeBe.
- Foxy Brown, while speaking at The Ricki Lake Show in 1999, announced she would appear in the action film Charlie’s Angels (2000). Because, she got into legal troubles at the time, the actress Lucy Liu was recast in her place.
- Her 4th studio album, titled Ill Na Na 2: The Fever, was delayed multiple times between 2003 and 2003 because leaders of Dem Jam Recordings, Sean “P. Diddy” Combs and Lyor Cohen illegally traded her recording masters. The album was later shelved, leaked on the Internet, and never released officially.
- In 2004, she founded Black Rose Entertainment, her own record label, with a distribution deal by Koch Records. Between 2004 and 2007, she recorded enough material for 2 albums, a lot of which ended up on her mixtape/street album Brooklyn’s Don Diva (2008), released via Koch Records.
- Foxy suffered heading loss between May 2005 and June 2006. In order to continue making music, she asked someone to tap the beat on her shoulder so that she could stay in tune.
- Foxy has had a history of legal troubles. In 1997, she assaulted hotel workers, swore on stage in 1999, got addicted to morphine due to a depression in 2000, and was arrested for driving without a license in March 2000. She also confronted the police in 2002, evaded a body search, and even punched a policewoman in the stomach.
- In 2004, she assaulted 2 manicurists after she didn’t pay the bill of $20 for the service. She was arrested and in a trial in September 2007, sentenced to 1 year in jail for violating the probation in 2004. She was released on April 18, 2008.
- Foxy Brown has also had a long history with feuds with popular rappers, producers, and singers. Some of those were Lil Kim, Queen Latifah, Queen Pen, Kurupt, who was even her fiance between 1999 and 2000, Eve, Ja Rule, Remy Ma, Jacki-O, Heather B., Lady of Rage, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, MC Lyte, Ms. Jade, and 50 Cent.
- She also had a feud with Nicki Minaj in November 2010 and released a diss track Hold Yuh on November 26, 2010. They quickly ended the dispute, however, and were reportedly best friends as of April 2019.
- Another best friends of hers were also Mya, another recording artist, and Vivica A. Fox, an actress.
- On October 3, 2018, she said that Russell Simmons, the co-founder of Def Jam Recordings saved her life at 16, and gave her a chance to present her talent for rapping to the worldwide audience.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, iTunes, and Discogs.
Featured Image by Brooklyn’s Don Diva / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0