|Nas Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||September 14, 1973|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Nas is an American rapper, songwriter, entrepreneur, and investor who was ranked at number #5 on “The Greatest MCs of All Time” list curated by MTV in 2016 and he has also released a number of well-engrossing albums and tracks such as It Was Written, I Am…, Hip Hop Is Dead, Untitled, Illmatic, Life Is Good, and Nasir. Moreover, he has also branched out as an actor and has been a part of acting projects like Black Nativity, Gully Boy, In Too Deep, Hawaii Five-0, etc.
Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones
Nas, Nasty Nas, Nas Escobar, Nastradamus
Crown Heights, Brooklyn, New York, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Rapper, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actor, Entrepreneur
- Father – Olu Dara (Jazz and Blues Musician)
- Mother – Fannie Ann Jones (Postal Service Worker)
- Siblings – Jabari Fret (aka Jungle) (Brother) (Member of the hip-hop band, Bravehearts)
Nas is represented by ICM Partners, Talent and Literary Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States.
Columbia, Ill Will, Def Jam Recordings, Mass Appeal Records
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
81 kg or 179 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nas has dated –
- Kym Whitley – He went out with comedienne and actress Kym Whitley in the past.
- Foxy Brown – Nas was RUMORed to have dated singer Foxy Brown, who was a member of the hip-hop band created by Nas.
- Tracee Ellis Ross – Nas had a steamy fling with actress and model Tracee Ellis Ross.
- Karrine Steffans – Nas had a RUMORed romp with writer Karrine Steffans. In her memoirs, The Vixen Diaries, she was less than complimentary about his performance in the bedroom.
- K. D. Aubert – It was reported that Nas had a short-lived affair with actress and model K. D. Aubert.
- Amy Winehouse – Nas and English singer Amy Winehouse were introduced by the producer, Salaam Remi, having worked with both artists. Amy had a big crush on Nas and her 2006 single, Me and Mr. Jones was about Nelly. Amy used to call Remi on Skype at his studio and instead of talking to him, she used to end up chatting with Nas. Eventually, they got each other’s numbers and would talk privately.
- Carmen Bryan (1994-2001) – Carmen Bryan gave birth to Nas’s daughter, Destiny in June 1994. As per her book, It’s No Secret, she was the cause of beef between Nas and Jay-Z as she was having an affair with Jay, which undoubtedly proved to be the end of her relationship with Nas. Jay’s song, Is That Your Chick? was about her and a subtle dig aimed at Nas.
- Mary J. Blige (1997) – According to Carmen’s book, Nas had an affair with soul singer, Mary J. Blige in the ’90s. Nas dumped Mary after she snorted lines of cocaine in front of him.
- Kelis (2002-2009) – Nas started dating R&B singer Kelis in 2003 after having met her in 2002. After he proposed to her on Christmas Eve at her mother’s house, they engaged about a year later. They got married in 2005 in an intimate ceremony in Atlanta. About 4 years post marriage, Kelis filed for divorce (She was already pregnant). In July 2009, Kelis gave birth to a son Knight. Their divorce got finalized in May 2010.
- Antonique Smith (2011) – Nas was rumored to be dating actress and singer Antonique Smith in 2011 after the release of his single, Nasty, which was reportedly about finding Antonique. However, Antonique later stated that “they’re just good friends”.
- Nicki Minaj (2017-2018) – In May 2017, Nas commenced dating the singer, Nicki Minaj. They remained together for the entire year and called it quits in January 2018.
- Ashanti (2018-2019) – He had a romantic association with singer, songwriter, record producer, model, and actress, Ashanti, from 2018 to 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
Nas is of African-American descent.
- Gritty voice
- Mole mark below his left eye
Nas has starred in commercials for –
- Bevel’s New Electric Trimmer
- Fila (2008)
- 21 INC
He is a member of Five Percenters.
His dad was a Muslim and mom a Christian.
Best Known For
- The immense success of his studio album Illmatic, which has been called as one of the greatest rap albums
- His highly publicized feud with rapper and music mogul, Jay-Z
Nas released his debut studio album Illmatic in 1994.
In 1998, Nas made his film debut with crime drama film Belly in the role of Sincere.
First TV Show
In 2002, he guest appeared in the music series Top of the Pops NL as himself.
Nas Favorite Things
- Baseball Team – New York Mets
- Upcoming Artist – Bishop Nehru
- Artist To Work With – Damien Marley
- Book – Pryor Convictions (By Richard Pryor)
- TV Shows – Modern Family, The Walking Dead, House of Cards
- Hip Hop Artists – Jay Electronica, Rick Ross, Schoolboy Q, YG, Young Jeezy
- Sneaker – Retro Jordans
- Video Game – Ms. Pac-Man
- Pizza Restaurant – Supreme Pizza near Madison Square Garden in New York City
- On July 2, 1996, he released his 2nd studio album, It Was Written, via Columbia Records and it topped the US Billboard 200 and US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) weekly charts. Also, it was certified ‘2x Platinum’ by United States (RIAA), ‘PLatinum’ by Canada (Music Canada), and ‘Gold’ by United Kingdom (BPI) as well as France (SNEP).
- In April 2013, he paid a six-figure amount to acquire a controlling stake in the Mass Appeal Magazine. As part of the deal, he also got the magazine’s “Associate Publisher” post.
- In June 2013, he opened his own sneaker store.
- He has business partnership deals with online retail company 12Society.com and the annual music festival, Rock the Bells.
- In May 2014, he announced his philanthropic gesture by providing a scholarship to 10 college graduates so that they can complete the training program of Koru, a job placement startup.
- In 2015, Billboard included him in the list featuring “10 Best Rappers of All Time”.
- In January 2012, he was embroiled in a dispute over his performance in Angola’s capital on New Year Eve. He had accepted a payment of $300,000 but had failed to turn up.
- In September 2009, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) had fielded a tax lien against him to seek payment of over $2.5 million, which was owed as unpaid taxes since 2006.
- The Harvard University has honored him by setting up Nasir Jones Hip-Hop Fellowship to provide financial support for talented and emerging artists in hip hop genre.
- He was placed on the #1 position in the 2014 list by About.com of the “50 Greatest MCs of All Time.”
- The Source placed Nas on #2 on the list of “Top 50 Lyricists of All Time” in 2012.
- In 2021, he won his first-ever Grammy award for “Best Rap Album” for King’s Disease.