|SZA Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3¾ in|
|Date of Birth||November 8, 1990|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
SZA is an American singer and songwriter who gained global acclaim with the release of her first studio album, Ctrl, on June 9, 2017, and has since received at least nine Grammy nominations, a Golden Globe nomination, and an Academy Award nomination.
Solána Imani Rowe
- SZA – Pronounced Sizza (stage name created using the Supreme Alphabet, influenced by rapper RZA)
- Coincides with her name’s initials SZA, which is short for Savior, Zig-Zag, Allah
- Known as Lana to her family members
- Friends call her ‘Sosa’
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
- Lives in New York City
- Is frequently on the road in the USA and Europe.
- Often visits her hometown Maplewood, New Jersey during downtime to unwind and rest
Solána attended a regular high school in her hometown which was followed by attending classes at a Muslim Prep School after school hours. Her annual vacation was completely preoccupied with a summer camp that varied between gymnastics, horse riding, and studying Science.
In her freshman year at college, she switched her place of study three times finally settling at Essex County College. She hoped to find her calling by studying liberal arts subjects and expected to get inspired to go to graduate school thereafter.
However, the freedom of college life after two decades of an immensely protected conservative lifestyle was too much for her.
- Father – Executive Producer at CNN
- Mother – Corporate Executive at AT&T
- Siblings – Tiffany Daniels (Older Half-Sister), Daniel (aka Manhattan) (Older Brother) (Rapper)
She has been signed with these agencies –
- Heavy Rotation LLC, Manhattan, New York
- Nick Dierl (Publicist)
- Terrence Henderson aka Punch (Former Manager)
Alternative R&B, Neo Soul, PBR&B
Top Dawg Entertainment, RCA Records
5 ft 3¾ in or 162 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
SZA has dated –
- SZA formerly had a string of relationships but none of them lasted long because in retrospect she claims, she lacked self-love and confidence. A range of emotional issues including low self-esteem (due to her obesity) did not create the right circumstances for her relationships to thrive. In one of her interviews, SZA confessed that she lost 3 of her ex-boyfriends to an untimely death. Hence, it may not be an exaggeration that her personal life throughout her 20s has been emotionally violent.
- Drake (2009)
- Scott Sasso (2011) – Though SZA has never revealed the identity of any of her ex-boyfriends, she repeatedly mentioned how she met her former manager, Punch at the CMJ festival in New York in 2011. Her then-boyfriend was one of the sponsors and she was dropping off the clothes from his brand backstage when Punch overheard SZA’s songs that her best friend was listening to rather intently. It is highly probable that the ex-boyfriend, SZA was alluding to was Scott Sasso, owner of the streetwear brand called 10.Deep.
Race / Ethnicity
She has African-American ancestry.
- Prominent freckles on face
- Mole on the left corner of her upper lip
- Hourglass figure
- Very thick, voluminous long curly hair
36-27-37 in or 91.5-68.5-94 cm
6 (US) or 10 (UK) or 38 (EU)
8 (US) or 5.5 (UK) or 38.5 (EU)
- In 2014, SZA did a print shoot for GAP apparel.
- She was asked to be a part of Ivy Park’s Spring / Summer 2017 campaign – an athleisure/sportswear brand co-owned by Beyoncé.
- She was featured alongside Zoe Kravitz in a TV commercial for Ford Focus.
- Predominantly followed Islamic tradition while growing up because Solána’s father was Muslim but still accompanied her mother to church every other Sunday because her mother was Christian. She also attended a Jewish camp during her childhood.
- Regarding her Muslim believes, she once said, “It’s like the belief in one God, all the pillars of Islam et cetera, and I think those are ideas that will never leave me, those make sense in my spirit. It’s the way that I connect with God; it has always made sense to me. I think I would love to wear my hijab but I feel like I don’t wanna wear my hijab and talk crazy on stage and be in videos with Travis Scott. Like I don’t wanna be disrespectful because I have too much love and respect for the religion, for my father, and for myself.”
- Presently respectful towards all religions and follows the values of both Christianity and Islam without subscribing to any specific code of conduct.
Best Known For
- SZA’s debut album Ctrl (June 2017) earned the #3 spot on Billboard 200. It is #1 in the R&B genre.
- Before a full-fledged studio album, SZA self-released two mix-tapes named SZA.Run (October 2012) and S (October 2013) which landed her a record deal with Top Dawg Entertainment and caught everybody’s attention for her unique style.
- She also gets a lot of attention for her thick head of hair.
In June 2017, she released her debut studio album, Ctrl.
First TV Show
She appeared as herself for the Revolt Music Conference (Recap Special) 2014 in Revolt Live.
- Solána was a gymnast and a ballet dancer for 13 years and like most athletes had the liberty to maintain a large appetite while growing up.
- After dropping out of college and frequently switching jobs, Solána hit 200 pounds in body weight before she found fame as a musician. She explained that she loves food and was eating for pleasure all the time.
- Her overeating led to a host of food allergies. She developed a strong gluten allergy (celiac disease) and intense lactose intolerance. Consuming sugar also made her body hurt.
- She soon realized the importance of good health and consciously altered her diet. By the time she released her EP in 2014, she was down to 150 pounds (68 kg) which still falls in a slight overweight category, but SZA pulled it off by wearing baggy clothes.
- Despite being overweight, Solána managed to retain a naturally muscular build albeit in a buff hourglass frame.
- Thereafter SZA switched to a Paleo diet and became a Pescatarian.
- She defines herself as a naturally restless person who frequently stretches to unwind and hence developed an interest in Yoga. She is also a frequent visitor to Skyzone – an indoor trampoline park.
- After years of consistent activity through hiking/frequent long walks, swimming, rock climbing, and staying away from meat, gluten, dairy, and sugar, by 2017, Solána attained a radical transformation into her present lean self.
- Typical Breakfast – Acai, Guarana, coconut milk smoothie with egg white omelet.
SZA Favorite Things
- Performance Look – Cat eyes created with makeup and highlighter at the inner corner of her eyes
- Style Influence – Miranda from Sex and the City (Masculine clothes with feminine hair and makeup), Wes Anderson movies, Moonrise Kingdom (2012) attire,
- Skincare Brand – Murad’s Acne line
- Moisturizer – First Aid Beauty
- Hair Conditioner – Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural
- Food – Lobster Ravioli
- Restaurant – Ed’s Lobster on Lafayette, Sushi Samba
- Healthy Carbohydrate Source – Sweet Potato
- Movies – Pretty Woman (1990), Six Degrees of Separation (1993), Scarface (1993), Godfather series, Blow (2001), Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
- Night Time Music – Coltrane’s ‘A Love Supreme’
- Timeless Accessory – Her Tiffany Infinity ring, Tiffany studs
- Stores – The Hat in NYC, Michael’s Arts and Crafts, and any local beauty supply store
- Café – Sage Café in Los Angeles
- Celebrity Crush – Djimon Hounsou
- Role Model – Lauryn Hill
- Whiskey – Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey
- Breakfast Foods – Smoothies, Eggs
- Solána had a very strict and protected upbringing by her father. She was not allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio. The Simpsons was the only TV show she could see and jazz was the only genre of music she was allowed to listen to.
- After flunking out in the first year of college, she took up various jobs such as working as a bartender in a strip club where she made $600 a night followed by a brief stint at a Nike store.
- Her parent’s protective upbringing made her an introvert and a loner by nature as a grown-up. Writing songs and creating music became her introspective self-therapy. She never considered it as a potential vocation.
- Her next-door neighbor and best friend Ashley was originally her bully throughout elementary school.
- Till the age of 11, Solána used to wear a hijab to school but stopped after 9/11 because the resulting hate and fear in the hearts of many Americans due to that catastrophic event made her an unfortunate victim of bullying owing to her attire.
- After two decades of conservative dressing, Solána went through a phase of wearing revealing clothes during her college freshman year. She soon outgrew it after realizing she was getting the attention of most boys for the wrong reasons.
- She had three different majors in college and was considering either specializing in marine biology to become a Sea-world Trainer or working in Advertising in the Marketing department.
- Being a gymnast in school has made her a very competitive person. Solána thinks there should be some level of healthy competition in all relationships.
- SZA is indebted to her half-sister, who moved in with her after living her early years in California, for introducing her to hip-hop and other contemporary genres of music.
- Her longest day job lasted 5 months at a Sephora.
- She owns a French bulldog named Piglet.
- Her songwriting influences are the poets she grew up studying such as Emily Dickinson and Shel Silverstein.
- She was the only female artist signed on to her first label Top Dawg Entertainment.
- SZA is the only musician in her family.
- Her songwriting credits include: Feeling Myself (2014) for Nicki Minaj ft Beyoncé, Ok / Alright (2015) for Travis Scott, and Consideration (2016) for Rihanna.
- She is an immense believer of Astrology and claims the more intense aspects of her personality are owing to her Scorpio sun sign while her Pisces moon-sign makes her a compassionate person.
- She has 7 tattoos on her body, the most recent one being Ctrl the title of her debut album.
- SZA says she has a short attention span and decided to take up meditation to get past it.
- Her debut album title, Ctrl refers to the unattainable goal of gaining absolute control over life and how it is merely an illusion.
- She enjoys cooking.
- Despite being very well-coordinated, SZA has a lot of scars on her body and considers herself accident-prone because she still likes to randomly break into a handstand or another advanced pose.