|Tina Turner Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||November 26, 1939|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Tina Turner is an American-born singer, songwriter, dancer, actress, and choreographer who is known for her energetic stage presence, powerful vocals, and career longevity and is often credited as the “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll”. One of the best-selling recording artists of all time, she has released multiple albums and tracks like Tina Turns the Country On!, Love Explosion, Private Dancer, Wildest Dreams, Twenty Four Seven, Foreign Affair, Break Every Rule, What’s Love Got to Do with It, Sometimes When We Touch, Acid Queen, When the Heartache Is Over, and I Don’t Wanna Fight. Apart from her solo endeavors, she released a wide range of discography with her former husband Ike Turner, until the duo disbanded in 1976 and divorced in 1978. She became the first black artist and first female to cover Rolling Stone and has received 12 Grammy Awards, which include eight competitive awards, three Grammy Hall of Fame awards, and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
Anna Mae Bullock
Anna Mae Turner, Tina Turner, Tina Turner Bach, The Burner, The Queen of Rock and Roll
Nutbush, Tennessee, United States
London, England, United Kingdom
Tina Turner attended Flagg Grove Elementary School in Nutbush from first to the eighth standard. She graduated from Sumner High School in St. Louis, Missouri.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Dancer, Choreographer
- Father – Floyd Richard Bullock (Sharecropper in Poindexter farm)
- Mother – Zelma Priscilla (nee Currie) (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Ruby Aillene (Older Sister)
- Others – Alex Bullock (Paternal Grandfather), Roxanna/Roxana Whitelaw/Whitlow (Paternal Grandmother), Joesephus Melvin “Joe” Currie (Maternal Grandfather), Georgianna Flag (Maternal Grandmother), Evelyn Currie (Half-Sister), and Floyd Richard Bullock Jr. (Half Brother)
Tina Turner has been associated with Kaspar M. Fleischmann of Algonquin.
R&B, Soul, Pop, Pop Rock, Rock
United Artists Records, Capitol Records, Virgin Records Ltd., Parlophone Records Limited, Sonja Records, Pompeii Records
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
58 kg or 129 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tina Turner has dated –
- Harry Taylor – Tina Turner dated Harry Taylor during her stay at Brownsville.
- Euge Groove – Tina Turner dated American smooth jazz saxophonist in the past. He worked in Tina Turner’s back-up band.
- Larry Fortensky – Larry was a construction worker whom Tina Turner dated in the past.
- Raymond Hill (1957-1958) – Tina Turner had a relationship with Raymond Hill and has a son, named Raymond Craig with him; though the couple did not marry.
- Ike Turner (1958-1978) – Tina Turner went through a tumultuous relationship with her late husband Ike Turner. The duo is famous for their hit songs like Proud Mary and River Deep-Mountain High. The singer has reportedly accused her late ex-husband Ike Turner of abusing her, which led to divorce eventually. It is speculated that the outrageous dressing that the singer did on-stage during her performances was the result of her husband’s choice. Tina Turner retained her stage name even after the divorce. Ronald Turner (born – 1960) is her only son with husband Ike Turner. Ike Jr. (born – 1958) and Michael Turner (born – 1959) are her stepsons from Ike Turner with his former wife.
- James Ralston (1982-1983) – Tina Turner dated Ralston for a brief period.
- David Bowie (1984) – The singer, actor, and songwriter David Robert Jones, commonly known as David Bowie dated Tina Turner in the past.
- Mick Jagger (1985) – Tina Turner claims to have dated American singer, songwriter, and film producer Mick Jagger from The Rolling Stones after Live Aid in 1985.
- Erwin Bach (June 1985-Present) – Tina Turner and Erwin Bach remained together for a long time and finally got married on July 4, 2013. Erwin Bach is a German music executive who met Tina at a record label party in London. Later, in 2020, she called her relationship with Erwin ‘one true marriage.’
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
- Svelte Legs
- Lips and Hair
- Powerful Voice
- Energetic Stage Performances
36-29-38 in or 91.5-74-96.5 cm
10 (US) or 14 (UK) or 42 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 39 (EU) or 6 (UK)
She has worked for brands like Plymouth Automobiles (1989), Pepsi-Cola (1989), Rugby League (Late 80’s/ Early 90’s).
Tina Turner was raised as a Baptist, but she later converted to Buddhism.
Best Known For
Tina Turner is best known for her duos with Ike Turner like A Fool in Love, River Deep – Mountain High, Proud Mary, and Nutbush City Limits.
She has also given successful singles like Let’s Stay Together and What’s Love Got To Do With It and albums like Private Dancer.
Tina Turner first appeared in the documentary film Gimme Shelter (1970), where she performed as herself.
Her first commercial film was Tommy in the year 1975, where she played The Acid Queen.
Tina Turner’s first album Tina Turns the Country On! was released in 1974 under the label United Artists in which she performed solo.
Prior to this album she always used to appear with her late ex-husband ‘Ike Turner.’
First TV Show
Tina Turner first appeared on TV in The Big T.N.T Show (1966), a documentary in which she featured as herself.
Tina Turner does not work out in a gym to keep fit. She believes in healthy eating and does workouts at home. She advocates dancing for 45-60 mins, at least three times a week. Tina adheres to 10 miles up and downstairs at her home in Switzerland.
She sticks to a strict diet, eating only twice a day. She also prefers soups and salads before going for live performances. She recommends Thai and Italian food, rather than the fatty American fried food.
Tina Turner also adheres to correct dressing and choosing the best for the body.
Tina Turner Favorite Things
- Food – Fried Chicken
- Color – Red
- Shoe – Pumps and Boots
- Perfume – V’E Versace, Hermes Amazone, and Eau Du Sud
- Beverage – Coffee and Champagne
- Film – Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
Source – IMDb
Tina Turner Facts
- She has been credited as the most successful female rock artist in the history of music.
- She has won eight Grammy Awards for her soulful songs.
- Tina holds a record sale of more than 60 million concert tickets, which is more than any female artist in history.
- She used to sing for the church choir at Nutbush’s Spring Hill Baptist Church.
- After completing her graduation, Tina used to work as a nurse’s aide in Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Her first career choice was nursing. She has also worked as a domestic help during her pre-teen years.
- Tina Turner had joined the cheerleading squad and the female basketball team in Carver High School during her stay with her grandmother in Brownsville.
- She is a mother of two sons and two stepsons from Ike Turner.
- When Tina Turner was eleven years old, her mother ran off from the family to get freedom from an abusive relationship with Tina’s father Floyd Bullock.
- She rebuilt her career after leaving her husband through live performances.
- Her single Let’s Stay Together, which was released in 1983, was a major turning point in her career.
- As voted by the Rolling Stones, Tina Turner is the 61st Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll artist.
- Angela Bassett portrayed her in What’s Love Got to Do With It, a biographical film based on the autobiography of the singer.
- She has shifted her home to Château Algonquin in Küsnachtsince since 1994 and has resided there.
- She is featured in the book Face Forward by late makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin.
- The Tennessee State Route 19 which connects Brownsville and Nutbush was renamed ‘Tina Turner Highway’ in 2002.
- She turned down the role of Shug Avery in The Color Purple (1985).
- She underwent reconstructive surgery of her nose due to frequent abuses by her late ex-husband Ike Turner.
- In the PBS Documentary ‘African American Lives 2’ hosted by Henry Louis Gates, it was confirmed that Tina has 1% native American ancestry.
- She has been friends with singer and actress Diana Ross.
- She tried to commit suicide following a fight with Ike Turner in 1968 by consuming 50 Valiums.
- She is a part of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and the St. Louis Walk of Fame.
- Rolling Stone has ranked her among the “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” and the “100 Greatest Singers of All Time”.