|Tom Ford Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 27, 1961|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Tom Ford is a successful American fashion designer, film director, screenwriter, and film producer. He is known for successfully heading luxury fashion houses like Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent as its creative director. He also has his own self titled luxury brand with stores worldwide. Tom is also credited for making Academy Award-nominated films like A Single Man and Nocturnal Animals. He has a degree in interior architecture from Parsons The New School for Design in New York City.
Thomas Carlyle Ford
Austin, Texas, United States
Tom has lived in several places including –
- New York City, New York, United States
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
- London, England, United Kingdom
Tom Ford studied at the St. Michael’s High School and Santa Fe Preparatory School, in Santa Fe, graduating in 1979. After that, he enrolled in Bard College at Simon’s Rock but soon dropped out to study art history at New York University (NYU) in New York City.
But again, he dropped out of NYU after a year and instead took up interior architecture at art and design college, Parsons The New School for Design in New York City. For his final year, he did an internship at Chloé‘s press office in Paris for a year and a half, where he realized his passion for fashion. He continued studying fashion in his final year but graduated with a degree in architecture.
Fashion Designer, Film Director, Screenwriter, Film Producer
- Father – Thomas David Ford (Realtor)
- Mother – Shirley Burton (Realtor)
- Siblings – Jennifer Ford (Sister) (High School English Teacher)
- Others – Alex Ford Davis (Nephew)
Tom Ford is managed by –
- Slate PR, Public Relations Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Ford Models, Model Agency, West Hollywood, California, United States
- CESD Talent Agency, Talent Agency, New York City, New York, United States
5 ft 11½ in or 181.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tom Ford has dated –
- Ian Falconer – Tom had a relationship with artist Ian Falconer in the past. They met while Tom was studying at New York University (NYU). It was through Ian that Tom first visited Studio 54. Tom and Ian have maintained their friendship even after their breakup.
- Richard Buckley (1987-2021) – In 1987, Tom began a relationship with a fashion journalist and former editor in chief of Vogue Hommes International, Richard Buckley. The couple first met at a fashion event held by a mutual friend on New Year’s Eve in 1986. It was love at first sight for Tom. The couple tied the knot in 2014. They have a son, born through a gestational surrogate, named Alexander John “Jack” Buckley Ford (b. September 2012). Sadly, Richard passed away in September 2021 at the age of 72 due to natural causes after a prolonged illness.
Race / Ethnicity
- Short hair
- Often wears his signature glasses
Apart from promoting his own brand, Tom Ford hasn’t done endorsement work for any other brand.
Best Known For
- His self titled fashion brand and for dressing high profile celebrities
- Previously heading luxury fashion houses like Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent as its creative director, before launching his own luxury brand in 2006
In 2001, he made his theatrical film debut in the comedy film Zoolander as ‘Himself’.
First TV Show
In 1992, he made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ on the talk show Show Business.
Tom Ford works out regularly with his trainer at 8:00 AM. He has a gym at home which is equipped with cardio equipment, free weights, and Pilates equipment. His workout includes 30 to 45 minutes of cardio, followed by 30 minutes of crunches, push-ups, stretching, and other exercises using his own body weight. He is careful about using weights as he intends on maintaining a lean and non-muscular figure.
As for his diet, he does not follow a strict diet plan, but daily watches his weight. However, his typical breakfast consists of whole-grain muesli or bran cereal, half a banana, and several slices of pineapple.
Tom Ford Favorite Things
- Fashion Critic – Suzy Menkes
- Film Critic – Peter Travers
- Film Director – George Cukor
- Smell – His dog’s ears
- Film – Dinner at Eight (1933)
- Word – Yes
- Place – His bed at home
Tom Ford Facts
- He grew up in the suburbs of Houston, Texas, and in San Marcos, outside Austin. At the age of 11, his family moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Growing up, he often gave feedback to his mother on her hair and shoes.
- He realized his true sexuality during one of his visits to Studio 54.
- In Santa Fe, there is a 24,000-acre private tract called Cerro Pelon Ranch which was constructed by Tom after the initial designing by Japanese architect Tadao Ando and designer Marmol Radziner.
- The Cerro Pelon Ranch property has also served as a fictional town known as Silverado for filming Western movies.
- In the past, Tom had adopted a vegan diet after watching a documentary called What the Health on Netflix.
- In an interview in 2019, he proclaimed that he has been a teetotaler and has used fillers and Botox to enhance his looks.
- Tom followed Democratic political views and had openly opposed America’s invasion of Iraq in 2003, stating that he was “ashamed to be an American”.
- He has often been vocal about federal recognition for same-sex marriage in the United States while using the word “civil partnership” for both opposite-sex and same-sex partnerships.
- Tom has distanced himself from dressing politicians regardless of their political party.
- In 1990, he joined Gucci as a designer when the company was going through some financial hardship and was on the verge of bankruptcy. By 1994, he was promoted to the position of a creative director, and after 10 years Gucci witnessed an excess of $4 billion per annum profit.
- He left Gucci in 2004 and started his own line of menswear in 2006.
- Hip-hop artist Jay-Z included a song titled Tom Ford in his 2013 album Magna Carta Holy Grail.
- Tom managed to open around 100 stores worldwide between his directorial debut film A Single Man (2009) and Nocturnal Animals (2016).
- Tom is recognized for pioneering the fashion philosophy of “see now, buy now” where prospective customers can immediately purchase his product without waiting for the item to be first showcased at fashion shows.
- He considers himself a commercial designer who found his artistic side through the medium of filmmaking.
- He calls himself an “insecure” person.
- Tom and Richard owned 2 smooth fox terriers in the past.
- He is happiest in the present moment.
- His greatest fear is the rattlesnakes as they have it everywhere on their ranch.
- His earliest memory of childhood is the sound of his father’s footsteps outside his bedroom.
- The trait that he most deplores in himself is perfectionism to the point of mania.
- The trait that he most deplores in others is pretension.
- He admits that he encounters more than 10 embarrassing moments in a day.
- Aside from a property, the most expensive thing he has bought is art.
- His most treasured possession is his integrity.
- If he had a superpower, it would be the ability to read minds.
- Regarding his appearance, he would love to have more hair.
- He would like Daniel Craig to play his character in the film of his life, but he thinks Donny Osmond would end up playing him.
- His guiltiest pleasure is Maltesers.
- His husband Richard Buckley is the greatest love of his life.
- For him, love feels like a butterfly trapped in a chest.
- His ideal dream dinner party would be in bed at home with Richard and the dogs enjoying take-out Chinese.
- ‘Fabulous’ is the word he most overuses.
- He had once done a lousy job at cutting a friend’s hair.
- If he could edit his past, he would not have made the p*rn film with Paris Hilton.
- If he could go back in time, he would have gone to ancient Egypt as he feels the eye make-up would have looked great on him.
- He admits that he only cries over television commercials or movies with prom scenes, as he rarely cries in real life.
- He finds relaxing too exhausting.
- The closest thing that he has ever come to death was his experience in Concorde which left him scared for a few days.
- He believes sleep would improve the quality of his life.
- He considers his greatest achievement is his ability to maintain relationships with friends and family.
- Thinking keeps him awake at night.
- He would like to be remembered as someone who was loyal and good.
- The most important lesson that life has taught him is that we all have to die one day.
- He is obsessed with bathing and takes a bath at least 4 times a day starting at 4:30 in the early morning and the last shower at 10:30 at night.
- He refers to his typical dressing as “uniform,” and it includes a white shirt, a dark tie, a gold collar pin, a black or dark-gray single-breasted peaked-lapel suit, and black cap-toed shoes.
- Tom doesn’t like talking on the phone even though he owns an iPhone.
- He has a weakness for doughnuts.
- In case he needs to go out at night, he tries to take a 45-minute sleep beforehand, followed by a hot bath.
- He rarely wears clothes when he is at home and prefers sleeping n*ked.
- Tom is very particular about his weight and weighs himself as soon as he gets up from bed in the morning.
- He does not like warm drinks and starts his day with a tall glass of iced espresso.
- Visit his official website @ www.tomford.com.
Featured Image by Nicogenin / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0