|Toše Proeski Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||January 25, 1981|
|Died||October 16, 2007|
Toše Proeski was a Macedonian multi-genre singer, songwriter, and actor who is best known for his mesmerizing vocals in the Macedonian and Balkan music scene. However, his wonderous career was cut short in mid-October 2007 due to a fatal car crash that ended his life.
Toše Proeski was born on January 25, 1981.
He died on October 16, 2007, in a car accident on the Zagreb–Lipovac highway near Nova Gradiška, Croatia.
Prilep, SR Macedonia, SFR Yugoslavia
In order to improve his vocal ability, he studied under the careful guidance of maestro William Riley in New York. He had been wanting to complete his Musical Academy studies.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Father – Nikola Proeski
- Mother – Dominika Proeski
Macedonian Traditional Music, Classical, Pop, Pop-Rock, Rock, Electronic
Vocals, Keyboard, Guitar, Piano, Saxophone, Clarinet, Bass Guitar, Drums
He had worked with various record labels such as Hayat Production (For Bosnia and Herzegovina Releases, 2002–2007), City Records (For Serbia Releases, 2004–2009), BK Music (For Yugoslavia, 2002, 2004), and Dallas Records (2004).
6 ft or 183 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Toše had been romantically linked with –
- Blagica Micova (1998-2006)
- Andrijana Budimir (2002-2007)
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Aromanian descent.
- Boxed beard shape
- Downturned eyes
- Oval face shape
Toše Proeski Facts
- He was brought up in Kruševo.
- He held his debut concert in Croatia in Rijeka.
- In 2007, he sang at the New Year concert in Croatia.
- Proeski is till date considered to be one Macedonia’s most prominent singers.
- After his return to Macedonia from New York, Proeski began performing at humanitarian concerts. In turn, this gesture of his earned him the “Mother Theresa Humanitarian Award”. Besides that, UNICEF also declared him as their regional ambassador.
- He was chosen by MKTV to represent Macedonia at the Eurovision Song Contest 2004, which was held in Istanbul, Turkey. However, he finished the competition in 15th place with the song Life.
- At the time of his funeral, he was declared as an Orthodox Christian.
- In the year 2004, Proeski was named the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador. He also recorded the song This World which was used as the anthem of UNICEF‘s.
- As a songwriter, he had written various hits such as Ima li dan za nas (Is There A Day For Us), Slušaš li (Are You Listening), Malečka (Little One) and Polsko cveḱe (Field Flower).
- He held his final concert on October 5, 2007, to raise large sums of money for the Primary Education Project for USAID.
- The last interview that he gave the night before his death was on Kanal 5. On the show, Proeki stated that he wanted to find his soul mate and to finish his unfinished album.
- At approximately 06:20 am on October 16, 2007, Proeski who was being driven by Georgij Georgijevski and accompanied by his manager Ljiljana Petrović died after crushing the 3rd vertebrae of his neck as a result of his car crashing into a truck and slamming into a median while he was sleeping in the front seat.
- Post his death, he was titled the “Honorable citizen of Macedonia” by the government of the Republic of Macedonia and also organized a state funeral.
- The sports stadium “Philip II” in the capital city of Skopje was renamed to the “Toše Proeski National Arena” on April 9, 2019, in his honor.
Featured Image By Kristijan006 / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0