Tyra Lynne Banks
Ty, Big Buddy, Lady T L B, BBQ
Inglewood, California, U.S.
Banks attended John Burroughs Middle School and graduated from Immaculate Heart High School in Los Angeles in the year 1991.
Subsequently, she enrolled herself into Claremont McKenna College, and Loyola Marymount College. But, after she got the chance to go to Europe for modeling, she put her education on hold, when she was 16.
She is a Harvard Business School graduate.
Former model, actress, TV host, author
- Father – Donald Banks (Computer Consultant)
- Mother – Caroline London (now London-Johnson) (NASA Photographer)
- Siblings – Devin Banks (5 Year Older Brother)
As a model, Banks was signed to these modeling agencies –
- D’Management Group
- IMG Models – New York
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
68 kg or 150 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tyra Banks dated –
- Will Smith – American actor Will Smith dated Tyra for a couple of months in the past.
- Michael Louis Johnson – Banks was RUMORed to be dating Canadian singer Michael in the past.
- Rupert Everett – She was RUMORed to be dating English actor Rupert in the past.
- Craig Taylor (1990) – In 1990, Tyra started dating Manhattan’s Fordham University’s First Year Law Student, Craig Taylor, who is 6 ft 6 inch high. He is actually her school friend and so they had known each other since their childhood.
- John Singleton (1993-1996) – From 1993 to 1996, American film director John Singleton and Tyra were an item. They got introduced via a mutual friend and soon Tyra got her break in acting via Higher Learning (1995), which was directed by Singleton.
- Seal (1996) – English musician Seal dated Tyra briefly in 1996. In this short-lived relationship, the couple appeared publicly only once, and that was during Essence Awards. They finally broke in October 1996.
- Chris Webber (2001-2004) – Basketball player, Chris Webber and Tyra Banks were romantically linked from December 2011 until September 2004. During these two and a half years, Tyra was frequently seen at Sacramento Kings games. The RUMORs of their engagement also hit the internet but everything cooled down, once the couple separated in 2004.
- Hype Williams (2002) – In 2002, Banks was RUMORed to be an item with the Honduran film director.
- Giancarlo Marcaccini (2005-2006) – Basketball player from Italy, Giancarlo Marcaccini dated Banks from 2005 to 2006.
- Tyler Perry (2006) – Actor Tyler Perry was RUMORed to be dating Tyra after they were pictured together on multiple occasions in 2006. They termed their relationship as just a friendship.
- John Utendahl (2007-2011) – American investment banker, John Utendahl dated this supermodel from 2007 to 2011. During these 4 years, they worked hard to keep their relationship secret. Whenever Tyra was interviewed, she refused to comment on this and John was never ever interviewed during this period.
- Rob Evans (2012) – RUMOR
- Rick Fox – Rumor
- Aubrey Graham (2012) – RUMOR
- Erik Asla (2013) – Norwegian fashion photographer, Erik Asla dated Tyra Banks in 2013. On January 27, 2016, Tyra gave birth to her son York Banks-Asla via surrogacy.
- Keith Carlos (2014) – For about a month, from January 2014 to February 2014, Tyra was romantically linked with fellow model, Keith Carlos. He is about 14 years her junior.
Race / Ethnicity
Tyra is naturally brunette (brown colored hair).
38-27-38 in or 96.5-68.5-96.5 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU)
9 (US) or 41 (EU) or 6 (UK)
Tyra Banks advertised for Cover Girl, 3 Suisses, Alma Couture, Dolce & Gabbana, Elite chocolate, Escada, H, H & M, Milk, Nike, Ralph Lauren, Rifat Ozbek, Swatch skin, X-O-X-O, Tommy Hilfiger, Victoria’s Secret, and Yves Saint Laurent.
Best Known For
Working with Victoria’s Secret as their angel and also with Sports Illustrated Swimsuit.
Tyra released her first novel in September 2011 titled Modelland, through which she shared her own modeling experience. In October 2011, it was on New York Times bestseller list.
Later, in 1998, she also released another book Tyra’s Beauty, Inside and Out.
Banks had a role in the 1995 American drama film Higher Learning for her role as Deja. The film received mostly positive reviews with a little bit of mixed ones and was able to gross $38,290,723 in the USA.
First Fashion Show
She debuted with Ready to Wear – Autumn / Winter 1992 fashion show where she modeled for Chanel.
First TV Show
In 1993, Tyra appeared in 8 episodes of NBC’s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in which she portrayed Jackie Ames.
Martin Snow is the man from whom Tyra takes help to stay in the best shape forever. He does running drills, parachute run (where a parachute is attached to Tyra’s body and she is instructed to run with that setup. This creates more air resistance while running and burns even more calories), boxing, and cardiovascular exercises with her.
She also uses some medicine balls and kettlebell workout.
Tyra likes to eat fresh fruits a lot. Mangoes and papayas are her favorite ones. To get some proteins, she also eats salad with chicken pieces and shrimp.
Also, she doesn’t take alcoholic drinks.
Tyra Banks Favorite Things
- Perfume – Demeter PMU
Source – Zimbio.com
Tyra Banks Facts
- She has appeared on the cover page of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue two times in the past.
- Banks had been ranked multiple times by TIME magazine in their “Most Influential People List”. She has become one of the four African Americans to have received this status.
- Her parents divorced when she was only 6 and her brother was 11.
- She faced the situation of “Ugly Duckling” (what she calls herself) in her childhood. This is because she lost 30 pounds (13.6 kg) of weight in three months and also added three inches to her height.
- She started modeling at 15 when she was still going to school in Los Angeles.
- Initially, she was rejected 6 times by various modeling agencies; but, was finally signed by L.A. Models.
- She launched her own website www.typef.com in March 2011, which is co-owned by Demand Media.
- She is the first African American woman to grace the cover of magazines like GQ and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She is also the first African American to ever chosen for Victoria’s Secret catalog.
- Tyra is VH1’s “Supermodel of the Year” for the year 1997.
- Oprah Winfrey is her role model.
- She has a dog named Little TJ.