|Unmukt Chand Quick Info
|5 ft 7 in
|Date of Birth
|March 26, 1993
Unmukt Chand is an Indian professional cricketer who had captained the country to a title triumph at the 2012 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup, India’s 3rd win at the tournament. He had top-scored in the team’s win over Zimbabwe in the group stage and had then produced a ‘Player of the Match’ winning performance in the final against Australia, scoring 111 runs not out in a 6-wicket victory. His performance and maturity had seen him being earmarked by many pundits and experts as a future star in world cricket. However, sustained poor form in the domestic circuit thereafter and limited scope for a place in the senior national team had seen him announce his retirement from playing cricket in India in August 2021. The decision was taken because the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) does not allow its registered players to compete in leagues abroad. He had held ambitions to play league cricket in the United States and eventually qualify to play international cricket for that country after completing his residency and qualification period. Before this, in the Indian domestic circuit, he had played for the state teams of Delhi (2010–2018) and Uttarakhand (2019–2020) across all 3 formats. In the IPL (Indian Premier League), he had turned out for Delhi Daredevils (2011-2013), Rajasthan Royals (2014), and Mumbai Indians (2015-2016).
Unmukt Chand Thakur
New Delhi, India
New Delhi, India
Unmukt had attended the Delhi Public School, an unaided co-educational school in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. When he was in the 9th grade, he had taken a transfer to Modern School Barakhamba Road, a co-educational, private school in New Delhi.
After his high school graduation, he had joined the renowned St Stephen’s College, an affiliated college of the University of Delhi.
- Father – Bharat Chand Thakur (Teacher)
- Mother – Rajeshwari Chand (Teacher)
- Siblings – Samragyi Chand (Sister)
Right-Arm Off Break
- 9 – Delhi Daredevils (IPL)
- 15 – Mumbai Indians (IPL)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Unmukt has dated –
- Simran Khosla (2018-Present) – Fitness and nutrition coach Simran Khosla and Unmukt got married in November 2021 after dating for 3 years. They had started dating in 2018. Simran is 5 months younger than Unmukt and had started the company “Buttlikeanapricot”.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble
Unmukt Chand Facts
- He had jotted down his memories and experience of leading India to a title triumph at the 2012 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup during the tournament. The expanded version of his diary was published as a book in 2013, titled The Sky is the Limit.
- The book expands from the stories of that World Cup to Unmukt’s rise in the cricketing world, detailing his story from his childhood days to captaining India at the Under-19 tier. The title triumph was India’s 3rd at the tournament, but the 1st one outside Asia making it even more special. Renowned former Indian international cricketers Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, and Sanjay Manjrekar had written separate forewords to the book.
- In addition to his playing duties, he had also commentated during the 2020 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup finals. He had also performed a similar role for Star Sports 1 Hindi during their coverage of the Caribbean Premier League.
- He is the first Indian player to play in Australia’s Big Bash League (BBL) which he did while playing for Melbourne Renegades for the 2021-22 edition.
- In October 2022, Unmukt suffered a serious eye injury while playing cricket where his left eye was left swollen. But, he got saved from a career-threatening injury.
Featured Image by Unmukt Chand / Instagram