Vanessa Lee Carlton
Milford, Pennsylvania, United States
When Vanessa was 14 years old, she got admission at the School of American Ballet in New York City. Later, she got enrolled at the Columbia University.
Singer and songwriter
- Father – Edmund Carlton (Pilot)
- Mother – Heidi Lee (Pianist and school music teacher)
- Siblings – Gwen Carlton (Younger Sister), Edmund Carlton (Younger Brother)
- Others – Edward “Ed” Carlton (Paternal Grandfather), Shirley Adele Anderson (Paternal Grandmother), Alan Jay Liberman (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth B (Maternal Grandmother)
Vanessa Carlton is represented by
- Creative Artists Agency
- Brick Wall Management
Pop, pop rock
Vocals, piano, keyboards, tambourine
A&M, Razor & Tie, Victor Music, Dine Alone Records, The Inc. Records
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Vanessa Carlton has dated –
- John Mayer (2002) – Vanessa started going out with singer John Mayer in 2002. They decided to go separate ways about sometime later. She served as an inspiration for few of his songs during that period.
- Stephan Jenkins (2002-2007) – Vanessa started dating Third Eye Blind frontman Stephan Jenkins in 2002. They had grown close after having toured together in 2002. To stay away from the limelight, they decided against living in Los Angeles and instead chose to spend most of their time in San Francisco. They ended their relationship in 2007 amicably. He even helped her to record a new music album, Heroes & Thieves.
- John Joseph McCauley III (2013-Present) – Vanessa met John Joseph McCauley III through a mutual friend, Patrick Hallahan, who is a drummer in the rock band, My Morning Jacket. After their meeting, John got in touch with her through Twitter and asked her out for a couple of beers. They started dating soon after. In October 2013, she announced that she was expecting her first child with John. A month later, it was announced that she had suffered an ectopic pregnancy, which led to internal bleeding and ruptured tube. Her right fallopian tube has to be removed by surgery. In December 2013, she got married to McCauley in an intimate wedding ceremony, which was officiated by Stevie Nicks. In January 2015, they welcomed their first daughter, Sidney.
Race / Ethnicity
On her father’s side, she has Swedish and Norwegian ancestry, whereas, on her mother’s side, she is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
33-27-35 in or 84-68.5-89 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
7 (US) or 37.5 (EU)
She starred in the TV commercials for
- Time Warner Cable (2005)
- EOS (Cosmetics and makeup brand)
Her religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
The popularity of her debut single, A Thousand Miles, which managed to reach top 5 on Billboard Hot 100.
In April 2002, Vanessa released her debut studio album Be Not Nobody via A&M Records. It was certified as “Platinum” in U.S.
Vanessa hasn’t made an appearance in a theatrical film yet.
First TV Show
In 2002, she made her TV show debut on the talk show, Late Night with Conan O’Brien as herself.
In 1999, after heading out for a run and crashing down within 300 meters, Vanessa decided to get serious about her health and fitness. She placed her focus on running to whip her figure in shape. Also, she found running a meaningful activity to fill the generous amount of downtime, she had on her hands when she was performing in the new city.
On an average, she manages to run about 30 to 40 miles in a week, sometimes peaking at 50 miles. Her running workouts at the New York Sports Club are divided into three parts. She starts her workout with tempo runs, which comprises of interval running and hill running. After that, she goes for long runs, stretching to about 2 hours. She finishes off her exercise session with recovery jogs that lasts about 30 to 40 minutes.
Her diet plan is like –
- Breakfast – Oatmeal with flax seeds, soy milk, strawberries, and blueberries.
- Lunch – Grilled chicken and snack bar.
- Dinner – Vegetables, salad, soup and chicken or fish.
- For beverages, she relied on water and green tea.
Vanessa Carlton Favorite Things
- Eye Shadow – Kevyn Aucoin Beauty Essential Eye Shadows
- Lipstick – Long Wear Lip Color in Exquisite
- Face Cream – Ling Skin Care
- Hair Product – Dr. Hauschka Skin Care Neem Hair Lotion
- Food – Chicken parmigiana
Source – Elle, NY Daily News
Vanessa Carlton Facts
- She was inspired to name her fourth studio album as Rabbits on the Run by Richard Adams’ fantasy album, Watership Down, which is about a group of rabbits. She also took inspiration from Stephen Hawking‘s A Brief History of Time.
- Her famous song, A Thousand Miles was originally a little riff that was struck in her mind. She started writing a song on it when she was 16 years old and completed it a year later.
- She initially wanted to become a professional ballet dancer. However, in her teens, she decided to go for a music career.
- In her early struggling days, she used to perform at the local nightclubs. These performances made her feel more dynamic and comfortable on the stage.
- After returning from Disneyland, she managed to play It’s a Small World on the piano on her own. At that time, she was just 2 years old.
- In 2004, she revealed that she has battled depression during her teen years. She sought medical assistance to fight it.
- After completing high school, she developed anorexia. However, she managed to get it under control with therapy before her first single was released.
- After completing the New York City Marathon, she donated the pledge money to the Musicians on Call organization, which brings recorded and live music to patients’ bed in the hospital.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube VEVO, and YouTube.