|G-Dragon Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||August 18, 1988|
G-Dragon is a South Korean rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur, and fashion designer. In 2006, he officially debuted as the leader of the South Korean group Big Bang. The boy band has released albums like Bigbang Vol.1, Number 1, Made, Big Bang, Remember, Big Bang 2, Alive, and Made Series. G-Dragon has also branched out as a solo artist and has released albums like Heartbreaker, Coup d’Etat, and Coup d’Etat + One of a Kind & Heartbreaker. In 2016, he was named the most influential person under 30 in Asia’s entertainment and sports by Forbes.
Seoul, South Korea
Kwon went to the Seoul Korean Traditional Arts Middle and High school.
After completing his school education, he got enrolled at the Gyeong Hee University where he majored in Post Modern Music.
Singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, model, fashion designer
- Father – Kwon Young-Hwan
- Mother – Han Gi-ran
- Siblings – Kwon Dami (Older Sister) (Has owned a fashion boutique called Rare Market)
G-Dragon has been signed up with YG Entertainment.
Hip-hop, K-pop, dance-pop, R&B
Vocals, piano, guitar, beatbox
His net worth had been $30 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
67 kg or 148 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
G-Dragon has dated –
- Kiko Mizuhara – The rumors of Kwon dating Japanese model Kiko Mizuhara first started appearing in 2011. They were first spotted together in July at the amusement park. Then, in August 2013, she was spotted at his birthday party. They were pictured sitting side by side at the party. On Christmas Eve in the same year, they were pictured holidaying in Phuket, Thailand. In September 2014, they were seen visiting Itaewon and Chungdam-dong in Seoul. In one of the pictures from their night out, he had his arms around her waist. Later that month, they were spotted attending Paris Fashion Week.
- Komatsu Nana – G-Dragon was first linked with Japanese beauty Komatsu Nana in September 2016 after pictures of them having dinner were leaked on Instagram. Some sources reported that they had been together since March of that year after having grown close while doing an intimate photoshoot for Nylon Magazine. In November 2016, the pictures of them hanging out together were leaked by leading Japanese tabloids.
- Lee Joo-yeon (2016) – In November 2016, it was RUMORed that he was going out with singer and actor Lee Joo-yeon.
- Sulli (2017) – In 2017, G-Dragon was dating South Korean actress and singer Sulli. The dating rumors first surfaced in early February after they were pictured hanging out at the Lotte World amusement park with Ga In and Goo Hara. Later, they were spotted wearing similar couple rings. It was also speculated that they had flown first class together on Korean Air.
- Sandara Park (2017) – Kwon was in a relationship with fellow YG Entertainment singer Sandara Park. The basis of these dating rumors was their cozy behavior at the Big Bang concert. They were pictured hanging out later as well. Sandara later refuted these relationship rumors.
- Jennie Kim (2021) – In February 2021, it was revealed that G-Dragon was reportedly dating Black Pink‘s vocalist, Jennie Kim.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Korean descent.
Dark Brown (Natural)
However, he loves to dye his hair in bright and vibrant hues.
- Slight body frame
- Unique hairstyles and colors
- Sometimes goes for an androgynous look
In August 2015, G-Dragon was selected as the Asian ambassador for the global rental company, Airbnb.
The other brands or products he has endorsed are
- YG store
- Shinsegae (2016)
- Hyundai’s Verna concept vehicle
- Vidal Sassoon (China)
- Nike’s Air Max Day
- Nike Air Vapormax
- Chanel’s Gabrielle Bag
- BSX Korea
- G Dragon x 8”
- The Saem Red Lipstick
- LG U+’s LTE8
As per multiple websites, G-Dragon is a Christian. However, it is not known how devout he is.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the popular South Korean boy band Big Bang, which has released several chart-topping albums and has a huge following in South East Asia.
- His success as a solo artist. He has released several popular singles, which have helped him win major accolades.
In 2006, his music group Big Bang released their debut studio album, Bigbang Vol.1 for the Korean market. The album didn’t achieve considerable success.
Their first album release for the Japanese market was Number 1, which had the majority of singles in English.
In August 2009, he released his debut solo album, Heartbreaker, which has gone on to sell more than 4 million copies. The single Heartbreaker is considered one of the bestselling singles in South Korea of all time.
First TV Show
In 2008, he made his first TV show appearance on the South Korean game show, Family Outing.
G-Dragon Favorite Things
- Clothing Brands – Saint Laurent, Rick Owens, Chrome Hearts, Thom Browne, Ambush, Human Potential, JUUN.J, En Noir, Pyrex/Hood By Air, Dongdaemun Market
- Music Artists – Pharrell Williams, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Rihanna, Blackstreet, and Wu-Tang Clan
- Colors – White, yellow, black, green, red, and gold
- In July 2017, he suffered an accident after he fell through a hole while performing onstage in his concert. Fortunately, he landed on his feet and escaped any injury, and was able to complete his performance.
- He is pretty fond of body art and is reported to have got more than half a dozen tattoos, including ‘Forever Young’ tattooed vertically on the side of his torso.
- He started his music career at the age of 5 by joining the music group Little Roo’Ra. After having released a Christmas album, their record was terminated by the record company.
- Later, he was scouted by SM Entertainment while he was on skiing holidays with his family. From the age of 8 to 13, he was a trainee under their tutelage.
- He was introduced to the music of the popular American rap group Wu-Tang clan while studying in third grade. He was inspired by them and decided that he would become a rapper.
- When he contributed to the Korean hip-hop album Flex in 2001, he became the first Korean rapper to rap on an album at the age of 13.
- His stage name G-Dragon is an English translation of his surname as Ji is pronounced as ‘G’ and Yong means dragon in English.
- In his first year, after having signed up with YG Entertainment, he was tasked with cleaning the studio for other artists and getting water bottles while others were practicing dancing.
- In 2013, he collaborated with Ambush to launch an exclusive line of accessories and apparel. The collection had his signature crest on all products.
- In 2014, he collaborated with Chow Tai Fook Enterprises jewelry to launch his self-designed range of jewelry.
- After having worked for a year, he opened an art exhibition Peaceminusone: Beyond the Stage in 2015. The exhibition showcased 200 artworks of 12 international as well as domestic artists.
- In 2016, he partnered with brand 8 Seconds, which is a part of the Samsung C&T Fashion Group, to design his first street fashion collection.
- In October 2016, he started his fashion brand called Peaceminusone in association with his long-time stylist Gee Eun. The brand was initially launched as an online store but he later opened stores in London and Seoul.
- He holds the distinction of being the first Korean to do a dome tour after he did a four-dome tour in Japan in 2013. It was also a part of his first World Tour as a solo artist.
- In 2016, the prestigious Forbes Magazine declared him the most influential person under 30 in Asia’s entertainment and sports.
- At the final concert of his 2013 world tour, he and his fans donated 9.9 tons of rice, which was sent to elderly living on their own, malnourished children, or anyone in need.
- He has made donations to Seoul National University Hospital for the treatment of children with diseases. He had kept his donations secret but it was secretly revealed in 2017 after the hospital got his name engraved on a plaque honoring anyone who had made donations of ₩100 million or more.
- He has done activism work for global foundations such as UN Refugee Agency. He also promoted the Red Campaign, which aimed to fight AIDS.
- In 2012, he constructed a pension hotel as a gift for his parents. The hotel is run by his parents and is open to his fans.
- He released his 2nd solo studio album Coup d’Etat on September 5, 2013. The album peaked at number #1 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart and at number #2 on the Japanese Albums (Oricon) chart as well as entered the Billboard 200 chart, making G-Dragon the first K-pop act with multiple entries in that chart.
- On November 27, 2013, he released his first Japanese studio album Coup d’Etat + One of a Kind & Heartbreaker. The album was certified ‘Gold’ in Japan.
- In October 2015, he started his first café called “Monsant Café”. The café was opened on Jeju Island.
- His mandatory military service started on February 27, 2018, and he was discharged on October 26, 2019.
Featured Image by gasi0308 / Tistory / CC BY 4.0
KPop is going to conquer the world.