|Virgil Abloh Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||September 30, 1980|
|Date of Death||November 28, 2021|
Virgil Abloh was a renowned fashion designer, entrepreneur, musician, and architect who gained prominence as the CEO of the Milan based fashion brand, Off-White. He had also worked with the French fashion house, Louis Vuitton, as an artistic director. In 2009, Abloh and Kanye West had interned at Fendi. Abloh had also worked with various brands like Nike, Jimmy Choo, Levi’s, Moncler, VLONE, and Warby Parker.
Virgil was born on September 30, 1980.
Virgil died at the age of 41 on November 28, 2021, in Chicago, Illinois, U.S. after battling cancer.
Rockford, Illinois, U.S.
Virgil Abloh spent his time between Chicago and Las Vegas.
Virgil graduated from Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford, Illinois in 1998. Then, he attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison and graduated in 2002 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering.
Later, Abloh completed his Master of Architecture from the Illinois Institute of Technology in 2006.
Fashion Designer, DJ, Architect, Singer, Entrepreneur, Music Producer
- Father – He was a paint company manager.
- Mother – She was a seamstress.
- Siblings – Edwina Abloh (Sister)
He had released his music through Boys Noize Records.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Virgil had dated –
- Shannon Sundberg – Shannon and Virgil were high school sweethearts. After being in a romantic relationship for almost 10 years, Virgil finally proposed to Shannon. In 2009, the duo got married and had 2 children – Grey Abloh and Lowe Abloh. Sadly, the relationship ended with Virgil’s death in November 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
Virgil had Ghanaian ancestry. He belonged to the Ewe Tribe of Volta region.
Virgil Abloh usually sported a shaved head.
- Shaved head
- Sported a stubble
- Towering height
He had either endorsed or promoted several brands like Nike and IKEA.
Best Known For
- Having worked as an artistic director for the men’s wear collection of the French Fashion House, Louis Vuitton
- Having served as the CEO and founder of the Italian streetwear and luxury fashion brand, Off-White
As a Singer
Virgil released the EP, Orvnge, in 2018 via Boysnoize Records.
Virgil Abloh Facts
- When he was young, Virgil started deejaying as Flat White.
- Abloh and Kanye West interned at the Italian fashion house, Fendi, in 2009. Their talent was also appreciated by Louis Vuitton CEO Michael Burke.
- Abloh had also worked as the creative director of Kanye’s creative content agency, DONDA.
- In 2011, he worked as the artistic director for the Jay-Z /Kanye West album Watch the Throne.
- His company, Pyrex Vision, bought vintage regalias for $40 from Ralph Lauren and recreated them to sell for around $550.
- In 2013, Virgil founded the high-end streetwear label, Off-White, which became a turning point in his career and had been based in Milan.
- In 2014, Off-White‘s women’s wear line got displayed in the Paris Fashion Week and Virgil got nominated as a finalist for LVMH Prize.
- In Nicki Minaj‘s Feeling Myself music video, Beyoncé wore a palm-print sweatshirt from Abloh’s collection with the word ‘Nebraska’ printed on it.
- Off-White‘s first concept store was established in Tokyo.
- In 2017, he worked on Nike‘s collection “The Ten”.
- Virgil had also collaborated with IKEA, the Swedish furniture brand, on their Markerad collection.
- In 2017, Abloh paired with Jenny Holzer to design a line concentrating on issues like immigration, cultural integration, and globalization. They had also designed t-shirts for the organization, Planned Parenthood.
- On March 25, 2018, Virgil became the first African to work as the artistic director for Louis Vuitton‘s menswear collection.
- For the 2018 U.S. Open, Virgil exclusively designed an original outfit for Serena Williams.
- In 2018, he worked with Japanese artist Takashi Murakami for a show at the Gagosian Gallery in London.
- Off-White has been worn by various celebrities like Beyonce, Bella Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Drake, and ASAP Rocky.
- He was diagnosed with cardiac angiosarcoma (rare and aggressive cancer) in 2019 which he kept private at the time.
- Visit Off-White‘s official website @ off—white.com.
Featured Image by GSAPPstudent / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0