|Walt Disney Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 5, 1901|
|Date of Death||December 15, 1966|
Walt Disney was an American film producer, animator, and entrepreneur whose ingenuity in the field of animation helped produce films like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Dumbo (1941), Pinocchio (1940), Cinderella (1950), Bambi (1942), Sleeping Beauty (1959), Mary Poppins (1964), etc. through his company, Walt Disney Productions.
Walter Elias Disney
He was born on December 5, 1901.
Walt passed away on December 15, 1966, from lung cancer in Burbank, California at the age of 65 years.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Animator, Film Producer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Elias Disney (Construction Worker, Entrepreneur)
- Mother – Flora Call
- Siblings – Herbert Disney (Older Brother), Raymond Disney (Older Brother), Roy Disney (Older Brother) (Businessman), Ruth Disney (Younger Sister)
Walt Disney’s net worth was $1 billion according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Walt had dated –
- Lillian Bounds (1925-1966) – He was happily married to the ink artist Lillian Bounds from July 13, 1925, until his death on December 15, 1966. The couple had raised 2 daughters together named Diane Marie Disney (b. December 18, 1933) and Sharon Mae Disney (who was adopted in December 1936, nearly 6 weeks after her birth).
Race / Ethnicity
He had Irish and English ancestry on his father’s side and was of English, German, and Scottish descent on his mother’s side.
However, his hair had turned mostly ‘Gray’ by the time of his death.
- He sported a mustache.
- Dimpled smile
Walt Disney Favorite Things
- Song – Feed the Birds from Mary Poppins (1964)
- Desserts – Lemon Meringue Pie, Chocolate Ice Cream Soda
- Movies Produced By Himself – Fantasia (1940), Dumbo (1941), Bambi (1942), Mary Poppins (1964)
Source – IMDb
Walt Disney Facts
- His family name was originally ‘D’Isigny’ before his French ancestors anglicized it to ‘Disney’.
- He collaborated with Ub Iwerks to create the legendary character of Mickey Mouse in 1928. Moreover, Disney was the original voice of Mickey Mouse from 1928 until 1947.
- He is the recipient of the most Academy Award wins and nominations as of 2023. His tally includes 22 Oscar wins and 59 nominations within a span of 37 years between 1932 and 1969.
- Disney initially wanted to name the character Mickey Mouse Mortimer Mouse. However, he changed his mind at the suggestion of his wife, who thought that Mortimer was too pompous for a mouse.
- He was awarded 1 original-sized Oscar statuette and 7 miniature-sized ones for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937) at the 1938 Academy Awards.
- The Soviet astronomer named Lyudmila Karachkina discovered a dwarf planet in February 1980 and named it 4017 Disneya, in honor of Disney.
- To honor his legacy, a US commemorative postage stamp of 6¢ was issued on September 11, 1968.
- The final words written by Disney on his deathbed were ‘Kurt Russell‘ on a piece of paper. Russell, who had recently signed a contract with Disney Studios, was confounded when he learned about the same.
- The persistent rumors surrounding his death alleged that his body was cryogenically frozen and that he was buried inside Disneyland. However, both rumors turned out to be false as he was cremated with his ashes being buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California.
Featured Image by NASA / Wikimedia / Public Domain