|Wanda Sykes Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 7, 1964|
Wanda Sykes is an American actress, comedian, and writer who has had an extensive career in standup-comedy and acting. She had won a Primetime Emmy Award in 1999, for her work as a writer on The Chris Rock Show. In 2004, Entertainment Weekly magazine had named her among the ’25 Funniest People in America’.
Wanda Yvette Sykes
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
She splits her time between –
- Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States
- Cherry Grove, Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County, New York, United States
- Los Angeles, California, United States
Wanda had attended the Arundel High School in Gambrills, Maryland. She had then joined Hampton University in Virginia from where she had earned a bachelor of science degree in marketing, in 1986.
Actress, Comedian, Writer
- Father – Harry Ellsworth Sykes (Former Colonel in the United States Army)
- Mother – Marion Louise Sykes (née Peoples) (Banker)
- Siblings – Harry Sykes (Brother)
- Others – Luther Luke Sykes (Paternal Grandfather), Magnolia Wilson (Paternal Grandmother), Allie Peoples (Maternal Grandfather), Sarah Jane Jones (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Wanda has dated –
- Dave Hall (1991–1998) – Wanda had married record producer Dave Hall in 1991 and the couple got divorced in 1998.
- Alex Niedbalski (2006-Present) – Wanda had first met Alex Niedbalski, a French woman, in 2006 on the ferry to Fire Island, New York. They got married on October 25, 2008, in a ceremony in California. Wanda publicly came out as a lesbian in November 2008 at a same-sex marriage rally in Las Vegas. The pair became parents on April 27, 2009, when Alex gave birth to fraternal twins – a daughter named Olivia Lou Sykes and a son named Lucas Claude Sykes. Because Alex is French, the couple spends some part of the summer every year in France.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
She is primarily of African-American descent and partial English descent.
- Petite frame
- Frizzy, afro hairstyle
- Gleaming face
- Affable smile
Wanda has been featured in the TV commercials for –
- Applebee’s restaurants (2007) (Voiceover)
- Ad Council (‘Think Before You Speak’) (2008)
- Gain Detergent (2012) (Voiceover)
Wanda Sykes Favorite Things
- Candy – Almond Joy
- One of Wanda’s All-Time Favorite Show – Sanford and Son (1972-1977)
- Holiday (For Celebration) – Cinco de Mayo
Source – Us Magazine
Wanda Sykes Facts
- Wanda’s first job after her college graduation was for the National Security Agency (NSA), as a procurement officer and a contracting specialist (1986-1992), at Fort Meade in Laurel, Maryland. As she was not completely satisfied with her day job, she used to perform stand-up comedy as a part-time job. Her first live performance was at the Coors Light Super Talent Showcase in Washington, DC, in 1987.
- In September 2004, she had published a book titled Yeah, I Said It, a collection of humorous observations, jokes, and rants about myriad topics including s*x, politics, war, national security, crime, guns, and race.
- In May 2009, when she was invited as the featured entertainer and master of ceremonies for the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner, she became both the first African-American female and the first openly LGBT person to get that honor.
- In September 2011, she had announced that she had been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), about a year ago. Even though DCIS is stage-zero non-invasive breast cancer, she had decided to have a bilateral mastectomy to reduce her chances of getting breast cancer.
- In February 2022, along with Amy Schumer and Regina Hall, Wanda was announced as the host of the 2022 Oscars.
- If she wasn’t a comedian, she would have been a chef.
- She makes very tasty beef bourguignon.
- Wanda can play the drums.
- In reality, she is a very shy person.
- As per PBS’ Finding Your Roots, musician Questlove is her cousin.
- During the COVID-19 lockdown, she started taking interest in gardening.
- She is allergic to mayonnaise and raw eggs.
- “I Try” by Macy Gray is her go-to karaoke song.
- She loves tennis so much that she likes to watch the U.S. Open (a tennis tournament) by going to the venue each year.
- She got starstruck when she met George Clooney.
- Wanda is an above-average bowler.
- Sykes is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- She is afraid of hillbillies and snakes.
Featured Image by Wanda Sykes / Instagram