|Chris Rock Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||February 7, 1965|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Chris Rock is an American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director who has won various accolades including 4 Emmy Awards and 3 Grammy Awards. He has been a part of shows such as Everybody Hates Chris, The Chris Rock Show, In Living Color, Saturday Night Live, Kevin Can Wait, Fargo, Empire, Real Husbands of Hollywood, King of the Hill, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Chris has also been cast in several movies in roles like Mays Gilliam in the political comedy film Head of State, James “Caretaker” Farrell in the sports comedy film The Longest Yard, Marty (voice) in the Madagascar film series, Mingus Robinson in the romantic comedy film 2 Days in New York, Daddy Fatts in the biographical comedy film Dolemite Is My Name, Lance Barton in the fantasy-comedy film Down to Earth, Kurt McKenzie in Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2, and Det. Ezekiel “Zeke” Banks in the horror film Spiral: From the Book of Saw. Moreover, he was voted the 5th greatest stand-up comedian in a poll conducted by Comedy Central as well as was voted the 9th greatest stand-up comic on Channel 4’s 100 Greatest Stand-Ups in 2007 in the United Kingdom and again in the updated 2010 list as the 8th greatest stand-up comic.
Christopher Julius Rock III
Andrews, South Carolina, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Chris Rock went to James Madison High School in Brooklyn, New York City. However, due to severe bullying, he endured in school, his parents pulled him out. Later, he decided to drop out of high school altogether. But he managed to clear his GED exams.
Comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director
- Father – Christopher Julius Rock II (Died 1988) (Newspaper deliveryman and truck driver)
- Mother – Rosalie Rock (Social worker for the mentally challenged and a teacher)
- Siblings – Charles Rock (Older Half-Brother) (Passed away in 2006 after a long battle with alcoholism), Tony Rock (Younger Brother) (Actor and stand-up comedian), Kenny Rock (Younger Brother), Jordan Rock (Younger Brother), Andre Rock (Younger Brother), Brian Rock (Younger Brother), Andi Rock (Younger Brother)
- Others – The Rev. Allen Rock (Paternal Grandfather), Mary Vance (Paternal Grandmother), Wesley Tingman (Maternal Grandfather), Pearl McClam (Maternal Grandmother)
Chris Rock has been represented by –
- ICM Partners, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Untitled Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Observational comedy, black comedy, sketch comedy, political satire
Atlantic, DreamWorks, Geffen Records
In 2020, his net worth was $60 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Chris Rock has dated –
- Nia Long (1991) – He had a fling with actor Nia Long in October 1991.
- Malaak Compton (1996-2014) – Chris Rock and Malaak Compton, who is the executive director and co-founder of StyleWorks, got married in 1996. StyleWorks is a non-profit salon that offers services to women entering the workforce after having left living on welfare. When they first met, she was working as a publicist for UNICEF. In 2002, she gave birth to a baby girl and named her Lola Simone. They welcomed their second daughter Zahra Savannah in 2004. In 2014, it was revealed that their marriage had collapsed and she had filed for divorce by the end of the year. Chris later accepted in an interview that he had cheated on his wife thinking that he would get away with it. Also, their divorce documents revealed that they had adopted Ntombi-futhi Samantha, whom Malaak had listed as a dependent along with their biological daughters. They had brought Ntombi with them from South Africa when she was six years old. By the time of their separation, she was reported to be 8 years old.
- Karrine Steffans (2005) – He hooked up with author Karrine Steffans in 2005.
- Megalyn Echikunwoke (2015-2020) – Chris Rock and actress Megalyn Echikunwoke’s relationship first grabbed headlines in February 2016 after they were spotted getting close and romantic at Clive Davis‘ 40th annual pre-Grammy Awards gala. The following day she sort of confirmed their relationship by tweeting about having spent last night with her valentine. It was later revealed that they had first been spotted together in New York City at the Global Citizen Festival in September. In November 2016, the leading tabloids were loaded with rumors that they had gotten engaged after she was spotted wearing a ring. However, she came out swinging and shot these engagement rumors down. They broke up in March 2020.
- Monika Zsbrita – Chris Rock’s affair with Hungarian model Monika Zsbrita came to light towards the end of the nineties after she filed a paternity lawsuit against him. However, he managed to come unscathed through the paternity test. The legal battle between them took a bizarre turn after it was revealed that he had hired Anthony Pellicano to investigate her. In the wiretap that the police had set on Pellicano for a different case, Chris Rock could be heard talking about having slept with her and hinting that he might have got her pregnant. In December 2012, they ended the whole saga for good after reaching an out-of-court settlement.
- Lake Bell (2022-Present) – In July 2022, Chris was rumored to be dating actress Lake Bell after they were seen together on multiple dates.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African American ancestry.
- High pitched voice
- Short cropped hairdo
Chris Rock has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- 1-800-COLLECT Long Distance
- Nike (Voiceover)
- Beats Pills (2013)
- Netflix (2017)
Chris Rock was raised in a Christian family but as an adult, he seems to be non-religious.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular comedians in the United States
- Having created, written, and starred in the popular comedy TV series, Everybody Hates Chris
- Starring in a host of successful comedy movies, Down to Earth, Head of State, and Grown Ups
He released his first comedy album, Born Suspect in 1991.
In 1985, he made his theatrical film debut in the music drama movie, Krush Groove. However, his work in the movie wasn’t credited.
His first credited film role was in the Eddie Murphy starrer action comedy film, Beverly Hills Cop II, which was released in 1987.
First TV Show
In 1987, Chris made his first TV show appearance in the comedy special, Uptown Comedy Express.
Chris Rock isn’t a big fan of hitting the gym and working out. However, he did hire a personal trainer to prepare for his role in the 2005 movie, The Longest Yard. He wasn’t interested in building his physique but only wanted to improve his stamina and endurance for the action flick.
Chris Rock Favorite Things
- Music Artists – Radiohead, Outkast, Herb Alpert, Tijuana Brass, Elvis Costello, and Snoop Dogg
- Video Games – PlayStation, Madden, and NBA Live
- NBA Team – New York Nicks
- MLB Team – New York Mets
- NFL Teams – New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys
- TV Series – 24
- Travel Destinations – Saint Martin (Caribbean Island), West Palm Beach (Florida), and any other part of Florida in the Spring season
- Jeans Brand – Levi’s
- Suits Brand – Paul Smith
- Footwear Brands – Adidas and Reebok
- Watch – Franck Muller
- Books – Native Son by Richard Wright, Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, and Clinton’s autobiography
- Role Model – Eddie Murphy
Chris Rock Facts
- Chris had a tough time in school, which was predominantly white, as his race and his small stature made him the perfect target for bullies.
- While writing his jokes, he mimics his grandfather who was a preacher at Crossroads Baptist in Brooklyn. Just like he used to write his sermons, Chris also scribbles his jokes on a notepad.
- In April 2004, he was placed in the 5th spot in the list, compiled by Comedy Central, featuring 100 Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time.
- In 2005, he had the rare honor of witnessing two of his movies, The Longest Yard and Madagascar, open on the same day in theaters. Both movies occupied the top two positions at the box office and went on to earn more than $100 million in revenue.
- As of May 2008, he became the first comedian to perform live comedy in front of 15,900 people in London. His record was only bested by Mario Barth the following month.
- He was honored, in March 2003, for his contribution to the entertainment industry with his Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Hollywood, California.
- Earlier in his career, he did a number of odd jobs to keep himself and his family financially afloat and one of these jobs included working at fast-food restaurants.
- Chris is a vocal and outspoken critic of racial profiling and has often spoken up about enduring racism on a daily basis even after having become a successful performer.
- Netflix signed a $40 million contract with Rock, in October 2016, as a part of which he had to perform two special live stand-up comedy shows for the network.
- In 1993, Paramount offered him the role of Lamont Sanford in the new edition of Sanford and Son. However, he had such respect and affection for the late Redd Foxx that not only did he turn down the role, but he also lobbied to get it to shut down, in which he eventually succeeded.
- In September 2020, he revealed that he had been diagnosed with a learning disorder due to which, he has difficulty in interpreting nonverbal signals in social situations. He had also increased his therapy visits to 7 hours a week during the coronavirus pandemic.
- In June 2021, Chris revealed that he had turned down the role on HBO’s The Sopranos several times.
- In September 2021, Chris revealed that he had been tested positive for coronavirus.
- In March 2022, Will Smith punched Oscars 2022 presenter Chris on stage after he made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith‘s hair loss. Will later issued a public apology for the incident.
- In 2023, Chris hosted a live comedy show on Netflix. With this, he became the first star to host a live comedy special on the streaming platform.
- Chris Rock was the 4th most searched actor of 2022 on Google globally.
- On March 4, 2023, Chris appeared in a Netflix special Chris Rock: Selective Outrage which was the first-ever live event of Netflix. In that show, he also addressed the slap he received during the Oscars 2022.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0