|Melanie Amaro Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5.5 in|
|Date of Birth||June 26, 1992|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Melanie Amaro is an American singer, best known for winning the 1st season of the reality-TV singing competition The X Factor USA on December 22, 2011. In doing so, she secured a $5 million record deal with Syco Music, Simon Cowell‘s label, as well as Epic Records, led by L.A. Reid, a well-known producer. In addition, Melanie was also the youngest contestant to win the show, as she was only 19 years old at the time. She auditioned with the song Listen by Beyoncé Knowles, and after the competition ended, on August 1, 2012, she released her debut single entitled Don’t Fail Me Now, which peaked at number 8 on the Billboard Dance Club Songs that year. The cover of a song Respect she recorded also peaked on the Billboard Dance Club Songs chart at the 3rd spot on April 7, 2012.
Even though her studio album was scheduled for December 2012, her next single Long Distance failed to chart after the release on December 6, 2012, which delayed the album’s release. She premiered a single titled Fuel My Fire on June 19, 2014, on her SoundCloud, and announced an upcoming EP album of the same name. The EP and the song were soon removed from iTunes for unknown reasons. On May 6, 2015, Melanie released a track titled Dust, and then another, titled The One, on February 17, 2016. Her debut studio album, which had a working title Truly, was believed to be scrapped completely, and will not be released. Melanie has a loyal social media fanbase consisting of more than 300k followers on Twitter and more than 50k followers on Instagram.
Melanie Ann Amaro
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
- Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Sunrise, Florida, United States
- Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- Los Angeles, California, United States
Melanie Amaro attended Althea Scatliffe Primary School in Tortola, British Virgin Islands. After graduation, she enrolled in Elmore Stout High School, in Tortola, British Virgin Islands, which was formerly known as BVI High School.
Melanie moved to Plantation, Florida, the United States at the age of 15, where she attended Plantation High School, from which she graduated in 2010.
- Father – Hipolito Amaro
- Mother – Debra Sylvester Amaro
- Siblings – Mark Amaro (Brother), Mike Amaro (Brother), Maya (Younger Sister)
- Others – Catherine (Grandmother)
Melanie Amaro is represented by Reed Smith (Legal Representative) in New York, New York, United States.
Pop, R&B, Soul, Dance, Adult Contemporary
- Syco Music
- Epic Records
5 ft 5.5 in or 166.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Melanie Amaro has dated –
- Trace Kennedy (2011) – Tabloids connected her with Trace, the lead singer of the band Stereo Hogzz in 2011. When asked about it, she said that she had $5 million to worry about, and didn’t want to focus on romance at that moment. Melanie also joked that the only thing she was faithful at that time was her microphone.
- In an Instagram post on October 5, 2017, Melanie shared with her followers that her pregnancy with an unknown partner was well underway and that her son loves listening to music in the belly. On May 12, 2018, on Mother’s Day, she shared that her son was born already and that she named him Xion.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Caucasian and Black)
She has Virgin Islander ancestry, which is a mix of African and European descent.
Dark Brown (Natural)
She has also dyed her hair ‘Light Brown’, ‘Black’, and ‘Fiery Red’ in the past.
- Voluptuous physique
- Fuller Lips
- Curly afro hair
Melanie Amaro appeared in a Pepsi commercial with Sir Elton John during Super Bowl XLVI on NBC in 2011.
Best Known For
- Winning the reality-TV singing contest, The X Factor USA in 2011, and being a musical guest on Live! with Kelly in January 2012
- Her singles as a lead artist – Long Distance (2012), Don’t Fail Me Now (2012), Fuel My Fire (2014), Dust (2015), and The One (2016), and 2 as a featured artist – Girl Code (2012) and Can’t Wait (2015)
As a Singer
Melanie Amaro was scheduled to release a debut album Truly under Epic Records and Syco Music in 2013, following her $5 million record deal after her win at The X Factor TV show. As of September 2014, the album was seemingly scrapped and wouldn’t be officially released by those labels, following the cancellation of the TV show. Melanie released her debut single Don’t Fail Me Now on August 1, 2012.
On December 6, 2012, she performed her 2nd single – Long Distance, and on June 19, 2014, she released a single titled Fuel My Fire on SoundCloud, from an upcoming EP of the same name. On May 6, 2015, Melanie released a track titled Dust, and on February 17, 2016, premiered her song The One.
First TV Show
Melanie Amaro made her first TV show appearance as an auditionee in an episode of the reality-TV music competition The X Factor which aired on September 22, 2011.
Melanie Amaro Favorite Things
- People – Michelle Obama, Barack Obama, Prince, Tori Kelly, Stan Lee, Whitney Houston, Bankroll Fresh
- Food Cuisine – Vietnamese
Source – Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Instagram
Melanie Amaro Facts
- She was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, but was raised on Tortola, British Virgin Islands.
- She was raised by her grandmother Catherine after her parents deemed they weren’t able to provide for her.
- Melanie would only see her parents at Christmas breaks and summer holidays growing up.
- In her mother’s words, Melanie would wake up at 2 A.M. when she was 6 months old, and start singing.
- Just as many kids did, she also sang into a hairbrush when she was very young.
- At the age of 11, Melanie realized she had the potential and the passion for singing and was encouraged by her mother to pursue that as a potential career.
- Unlike other young singers, she didn’t attend any singing competitions, but performed in church, at weddings, and other venues.
- Melanie credits her high school chorus teacher, Gary Riverbank, for helping her shape her voice. He, unfortunately, died of lymphoma at the young age of 48.
- Her mother also encouraged her to audition for The X Factor in June 2011.
- During the competition, she sang songs by Michael Jackson, U2, Whitney Houston, R.E.M., R. Kelly, Mariah Carey, Cy Grant, The Eagles, and Beyoncé.
- She was mentored by Simon Cowell and was the only act left in the category after Rachel Crow, and other contestants were eliminated. At the finale, she defeated Josh Krajcik, who was mentored by Nicole Scherzinger.
- The prize of a recording contract, $5 million, was the highest guaranteed prize in television history at that time.
- She was a featured artist on the song Girl Code by Rocki Boulis in 2012, and Can’t Wait by Konshens in 2015.
- Melanie collaborated with the rapper Fabolous on her single Dust, released May 6, 2015.
- Melanie was nominated for the “Female Reality Star” at the Teen Choice Awards 2012 for her appearance on The X Factor.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Spotify, iTunes, SoundCloud, and Discogs.
Featured Image by Glenn Francis / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0