|Wilson Cruz Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8.5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 27, 1973|
Wilson Cruz is an American actor who is best known for playing the role of Rickie Vasquez on the critically acclaimed TV series My So-Called Life and Angel in the Broadway tour production of Rent. Some of his other works involve recurring characters of Junito on Noah’s Arc and Dr. Hugh Culber on Star Trek: Discovery. He came out as gay at the age of 19 and has openly advocated for gay youth.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
He divides his time between his residences in Los Angeles and Toronto.
Wilson graduated from Eisenhower High School in 1991.
Actor, Producer, Mentor
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – He has 2 younger brothers.
Wilson is represented by Don Buchwald & Associates L.A.
5 ft 8.5 in or 174 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Wilson has not dated anyone publicly yet.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Puerto Rican ancestry.
Salt and Pepper beard
Wilson has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
Playing the role of Rickie Vasquez on the critically acclaimed TV series My So-Called Life (1994-1995) and Angel in the Broadway tour production of Rent
Wilson made his theatrical film debut in Nixon as Joaquin, Hoover’s Servant in 1995.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut in My So-Called Life as Rickie Vasquez in 1994.
Wilson works out on a regular basis. As per an article in 2014, he makes time to work out in the gym alongside his work. In 2013, when he was asked on Twitter about his best workout routine ever, he answered that he likes to go to the gym on Thanksgiving and does the legs workout because he likes to earn the Thanksgiving meal.
Wilson Cruz Facts
- In an interview, Wilson revealed that he was probably 7 or 8 years old when he first realized that he was different. At the age of 19, Wilson decided to come out as gay. His mother, though initially shocked, eventually accepted the fact but his father threw him out of the house. He had to spend the next few months at his friends’ house or in his car before he worked things out with his father.
- He got to play Enrique “Rickie” Vasquez, a gay character, in the critically acclaimed TV series My So-Called Life which made him first openly gay actor to ever play a lead openly gay character in a television series.
- The character of Rickie Vasquez is also thrown out of his house for being gay in the show, and when he shot that part, it was less than a year ago that he went through the same situation in his real life.
- Being openly gay, Wilson advocates openly for LGBT youth, especially youth of color.
- In 1997, he was on board as one of the board of directors of GLAAD and became their National Spokesperson and Strategic Giving Officer in 2012.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Greg Hernandez / Flickr / CC BY-2.0