|Yasmeen Ghauri Quick Info
|5 ft 10 in
|Date of Birth
|March 23, 1971
Yasmeen Ghauri is a former Canadian supermodel whose emergence on the Canadian fashion scene is often credited with changing the mentality of the local fashion industry which began shifting from the use of predominantly Nordic-looking models to more ‘exotic-looking’ faces. In the early and mid-1990s, she walked on ramps across cities such as Paris, London, New York, and Milan for acclaimed fashion designers such as Jil Sander, Gianni Versace, Helmut Lang, and Jean-Paul Gaultier. She has also been featured multiple times on the covers of magazines such as Elle, Sports Illustrated, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, and Vogue. She retired from fashion modeling in 1996 after pulling out of a Yves Saint Laurent show at the last minute and chose to focus on starting a family thereafter.
Montréal, Québec, Canada
- Father – Moin Ghauri
- Mother – Linda Ghauri
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Yasmeen has dated –
- Felipe VI of Spain (1992)
- Ralph Bernstein (1996–Present) – Yasmeen began dating lawyer Ralph Bernstein in 1996 and they got married in 1997. The couple has a daughter named Maia Bernstein and a son named Victor Bernstein.
- Sean Combs (2008) – Rumor
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Asian)
She is of German descent on her mother’s side and Pakistani descent on her father’s side.
- Lanky frame
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Cryptic smile
- Radiant face
Yasmeen has been featured in the campaigns of fashion and clothing brands such as –
- Helmut Lang
- Anne Klein
- Victoria’s Secret
Yasmeen Ghauri Facts
- She had endured a difficult childhood as she would often be bullied for her Pakistani heritage and her faith. She was raised as a Muslim by her father who was an Islamic preacher and she had attended the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca when she was 12 years old.
- Yasmeen was discovered by Montréal hairdresser and artistic director Edward Zaccharia while she was working at a local McDonald‘s outlet. She was just 17 years old at that time. Although her parents’ expressed their disapproval, she actively pursued a career in modeling and moved to New York 2 years later to follow her dreams.
- She was featured in the music video of the Elton John song Sacrifice (1989).
- She had made an appearance in the 1995 documentary titled Unzipped that followed fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi as he planned and presented his fall 1994 collection. The film had also featured several other supermodels such as Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, and Kate Moss.
- The character of Jasmine in the Italian comic book series Jonathan Steele was inspired by Yasmeen. Like her, the character is a former model, who was born to a German mother and a Pakistani father in Montréal.
Featured Image by Yasmeen Ghauri / Instagram