|Yuzuru Hanyu Quick Info
|5 ft 7¾ in
|Date of Birth
|December 7, 1994
Yuzuru Hanyu is a Japanese figure skater and ice show producer who is best known for winning several tournaments such as the Olympics, Grand Prix Final Championship, Four Continents Championship, and World Junior Championship. He has also participated in a variety of other tournaments such as the Rostelecom Cup, Grand Prix of Helsinki, Skate Canada, NHK Trophy, and Nebelhorn Trophy, and has been the recipient of numerous awards such as the “People’s Honor Award” and “Laureus World Sports Award”.
Mushroom, Mushy, Ice Prince, Yuzu
Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Yuzuru Hanyu went to the Tohoku High School, which has been attended by some of the most popular Japanese figure skaters.
After completion of school education, he got enrolled at the Waseda University. He aimed to study cognitive sciences and human informatics in the university.
- Siblings – Saya Hanyu (Older Sister)
Nanami Abe, Shoichiro Tsuzuki (Former)
Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson
Kenji Miyamoto, Kurt Browning, Nanami Abe (Former)
Jeffrey Buttle, Shae-Lynn Bourne, David Wilson
Miyagi FSC (Former)
ANA Minato Tokyo, Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club
5 ft 7¾ in or 172 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Yuzuru Hanyu has largely opted to keep his private life away from the public domain, which has led to a large amount of speculation about his dating history and status. Publicly, he has maintained that he isn’t seeing anyone and is single.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Japanese ancestry.
- Slight body
- Boyish good looks
- During the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Yuzuru Hanyu was made ambassador of P&G’s “Proud sponsor of moms” campaign.
- He has also done endorsement work for flight attendant outfits for All Nippon Airways, which was designed by Prabal Gurung.
He has also done endorsement work for the following –
- Lotte’s Ghana milk chocolates
- Amino Vital
- Nishikawa Sangyo co.
- Monster Hunter 4G
Best Known For
- Being one of the most accomplished male figure skaters. In fact, some experts believe that he has the potential to become the best figure skater in the history of the game.
- His huge popularity in his native country. He has a cult-like following among his fans.
In 2016, Yuzuru made his theatrical film debut in the comedy history movie, Tono, risoku de gozaru! (also known as The Magnificent Nine).
Yuzuru Hanyu Favorite Things
Source – Wikipedia, Golden Skate
Yuzuru Hanyu Facts
- In December 2014, Yuzuru collaborated with the Japanese brand Phiten to launch RAKUWA nylon coated necklace models.
- Yuzuru has served as a spokesperson for the Red Cross’ Hatachi blood donation campaign. He even did a couple of promotional videos for the campaign.
- In the aftermath of the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami, he worked with several charities and foundations to assist in the rehabilitation process. He and other ice skaters performed at many events to raise funds for the victims. They managed to raise more than $150,000. To further increase charity funds, he decided to auction his personal belongings, which helped him raise ¥2,954,323 or $35,387.
- In April 2012, he published his autobiography, Blue Flames. He decided to donate part of the proceeds from the royalties to the repair work of Sendai Ice Rink, which had been destroyed by the earthquake.
- His second autobiography Blue Flames II was published in 2016. He again decided to donate a portion of the proceeds to the Sendai Ice Rink.
- In May 2014, Yuzuru released his first DVD/Blu-ray album, Time of Awakening. The album managed to reach the 3rd spot on the Blu-ray charts and sold more than 21,000 copies.
- In October 2014, his photobook, YUZURU was released. The book sold more than 23,000 copies and was ranked first in sports and photo related categories in the book charts.
- In September 2015, Hanyu’s another book, Yuzuru Hanyu Goroku, which contained his pictures and quotes was released.
- In 2016, The Japan News placed him on the 2nd spot behind tennis player Kei Nishikori in the most popular athlete list that was compiled using results of a survey.
- He holds the distinction of being the first Asian male skater to emerge as a winner at multiple World Championships.
- He has broken about a dozen world records and is the current holder of records for combined total scores, free skating, and highest short program points.
- He is a huge Winnie the Pooh fan and considers it his good luck charm. His fans love to show their appreciation for him by showering him with Winnie the Poohs, which results in a mountain of Poohs on the side of the rink.
- He has created history by becoming the first Asian male competitor in singles figure skating to have won a gold medal at the Winter Olympics.
- He holds the distinction of being the first male competitor to have passed 100-point mark in the men’s short program event, the 200-point mark in the men’s free skating discipline, and the 300-point mark in the combined total score.
- He suffers from asthma and due to this condition, he is often seen heavily catching his breath after performing.
- Following in the footsteps of his older sister, Saya, he started skating at the age of 4.
- When the earthquake hit in 2011, he was practicing on the ice rink. As soon as everything stopped shaking, he dashed out of the building in his skating boots.
- Post the earthquake, he had to live in an evacuation center for 3 days. His house in Sendai was also damaged.
- As the Sendai Ice Rink was damaged, he had to leave his hometown to continue his practice sessions. 10 days after the natural disaster hit, he was in Hachinohe City, Aomori Prefecture to restart his practice.
- With his success at CS Autumn Classic International in 2016, he became the first skater to have accomplished a quadruple loop in the competition.
- Yuzuru was the 6th-most searched athlete of 2022 on Google.
- He doesn’t have any social media account.
Featured Image by All Nippon Airways / Facebook / CC BY-SA 4.0