|Zawe Ashton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||July 25, 1984|
Zawe Ashton is an English actress, playwright, director, and narrator who is best known for portraying characters such as Deborah Arnold in the crime drama TV series Case Histories (2011–2013), Violet ‘Vod’ Nordstrom in the comedy-drama TV series Fresh Meat (2011–2016), and Katherine in the comedy-drama TV series Not Safe For Work (2015). She has also acted in films such as St. Trinian’s II: The Legend of Fritton’s Gold (2009), Blitz (2011), Dreams of a Life (2011), and Nocturnal Animals (2016). She has been much more prolific on the theatre scene with her major credits including Othello (2007), The Arsonists (2007), Gone Too Far! (2008), All The Little Things We Crushed (2009), Salome (2010), Splendour (2015), The Hardest Rain (2018), and Betrayal (2019).
Hackney, London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Zawe, for her secondary education, had attended the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School, an all-girls institution in Islington, London, and the Parliament Hill School, another all-girls facility in Camden, London. She had, in parallel, studied at the Anna Scher Theatre School, an independent and co-educational performing arts school in Islington, and was also a member of the National Youth Theatre in London.
She had later studied at the City and Islington College, before joining the Manchester School of Theatre, a drama school, from where she had earned a degree in acting in 2006.
Actress, Playwright, Director, Narrator
- Father – Paul Ashton (TV Commissioning Editor, Former Teacher)
- Mother – Victoria Ashton (née Muwanga) (Teacher)
- Siblings – Sam Ashton (Younger Brother) (Artist). She has 1 other younger sibling.
- Others – Paulo Muwanga (Maternal Grandfather) (Politician, 6th President of Uganda (May 1980), 4th Vice President of Uganda (December 1980–July 1985), Prime Minister of Uganda (August 1985)) (d. April 1, 1991), Catherine Kasalina Zawedde Muwanga (Maternal Grandmother), Emmanuel Muwanga (Maternal Uncle) (d. 2016), Yayeri Muwanga (Maternal Aunt) (Business Executive), Dr. Nansozi Kasalina Muwanga (Maternal Aunt) (International Politics and Governance Consultant), Tina Muwanga (Maternal Aunt) (Architect), Kibuuka Muwanga (Maternal Uncle) (Entrepreneur), Nakimera Kim Sebuliba (Cousin) (Entrepreneur, Youth Activist), Seduge Muwanga (Cousin) (Entrepreneur)
She is represented by Creative Artists Agency LLC (CAA), Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Zawe has dated –
- Tom Hiddleston (2019-Present) – In 2019, she started dating actor Tom Hiddleston. In September 2021, they were seen spending their time together in Ibiza, Spain during a vacation. In March 2022, they got engaged. In June 2022, it was revealed that they were expecting their first child together.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Black)
She is of English descent on her father’s side and Ugandan descent on her mother’s side.
- Lanky frame
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Affable smile
- Plump lips
- Baritone voice
Zawe Ashton Facts
- She was a slam poetry enthusiast in her teenage years and had won the ‘London Poetry Slam Championship’ in 2000.
- The very first play that she had written, Harm’s Way, was nominated for the ‘Verity Bargate Award’ in 2007. It was also performed at The Lowry Theatre in Manchester in 2008 as part of the National Youth Theatre’s new writing season.
- In May 2010, she was named in the ’55 Faces of the Future’ list compiled by Nylon magazine’s ‘Young Hollywood’ issue.
- In November 2012, she had won the Creative Diversity Network Award in the category of ‘Best Breakthrough On-Screen Talent’ for her portrayal of Violet ‘Vod’ Nordstrom in the TV series Fresh Meat (2011–2016).
Featured Image by Zawe Ashton / Instagram