|Zoë Wanamaker Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 13, 1949|
Zoë Wanamaker is an American-born actress, theatre artist, and voiceover artist who has been cast in shows and movies like Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, My Week with Marilyn, It’s a Wonderful Afterlife, The Raggedy Rawney, Five Children and It, Agatha Christie’s Poirot, Mr Selfridge, Shadow and Bone, Britannia, Girlfriends, My Family, Babs, Love Hurts, and A Dance to the Music of Time. Having worked extensively with the Royal Shakespeare Company and the National Theatre, she is a multiple-time Olivier Award nominee and won the award for Once in a Lifetime and Electra. Moreover, Wanamaker was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2001 New Year Honours for services to drama.
New York City, New York, United States
Zoë Wanamaker studied at the independent King Alfred School in Hampstead and at Sidcot School, a Quaker boarding school in Somerset. Afterward, she got enrolled at Hornsey College of Art for the Pre-Diploma Course.
Later, she trained at the Central School of Speech and Drama.
Actress, Theatre Artist, Voiceover Artist
- Father – Sam Wanamaker (American actor, film director, and radio producer)
- Mother – Charlotte Holland (Canadian actress and radio performer)
- Siblings – Amy Wanamaker (Sister) (Actress), Jessica Wanamaker (Sister) (Actress)
- Others – Maurice Wanamaker (originally Manus Watmacher) (Paternal Grandfather) (Tailor), Molly (née Bobele) (Paternal Grandmother), William (Paternal Uncle) (Long-term cardiologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center), Marc Norman Wanamaker (Cousin) (Historical Author)
She has been signed with –
- Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Agency for the Performing Arts, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 3½ in or 161 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Zoë Wanamaker has dated –
- David Lyon – For several years, she lived with fellow Royal Shakespeare Company actor David Lyon.
- Gawn Grainger (1994-Present) – In November 1994, she got married to British actor and theatre artist Gawn Grainger.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ukrainian-Jewish descent on her father’s side.
Zoë was cast in a UK television commercial for Marks & Spencer‘s Christmas range in 2003.
Although her parents were Jewish, she had a secular and non-observant upbringing.
Zoë Wanamaker Facts
- Her father found out he had been blacklisted from Hollywood while working in the United Kingdom in 1952. Therefore, her parents decided to stay in the United Kingdom.
- Wanamaker became a British citizen in 2000 and holds both British and American citizenship.
- In 2001, Zoë Wanamaker appeared as Madame Hooch, Hogwarts’ flying instructor, in the fantasy film, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, based on J. K. Rowling‘s 1997 novel of the same name.
- She has no children and once said, “And children? ‘I don’t have any regrets about not having had children. What’s the point? It’s just something else to beat yourself up over.”
- Zoë Wanamaker co-starred as Mrs. Goldsmith in the 2010 British comedy film, It’s a Wonderful Afterlife, which revolves around an Indian mother whose obsession with marrying off her daughter leads her into the realm of serial murder.
- She portrayed former American stage actress Paula Strasberg in the 2011 drama film named My Week with Marilyn.
- In 2021, she started playing Baghra, Alina’s Grisha trainer, in the Netflix fantasy drama series, Shadow and Bone.
Featured Image by Ed Enayat / Vimeo / CC BY 3.0