|Aaron Sorkin Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1.5 in|
|Date of Birth||June 9, 1961|
Aaron Sorkin is an Academy Award-winning American screenwriter in addition to being a playwright, producer, and director. He is lauded for his signature writing style, which is best described as a rapid-fire exchange of dialogues between participating characters, often filled with sarcasm and cultural references. He has achieved success on all 3 mediums of entertainment – films, television, and theater. Among his writing accomplishments are A Few Good Men (1992), The Social Network (2010), Steve Jobs (2015) and the political drama series, The West Wing.
Aaron Benjamin Sorkin
Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Aaron studied at Scarsdale High School in New York and was an active member of the theater and drama club.
In 1979, he enrolled at Syracuse University and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Musical Theater in 1983.
Screenwriter, Director, Producer, Playwright
- Father – Bernard R. “Bernie” Sorkin (Copyright Lawyer)
- Mother – Claire Spector (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Deborah Sorkin (Older Sister) (Lawyer). He also has an older brother who is a lawyer.
- Others – Isidore /Isadore Sorkin (Paternal Grandfather) (Founder of the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union), Bessie /Basha (Paternal Grandmother), Nathan B. Spector (Maternal Grandfather), Betty G. Trieff (Maternal Grandmother)
Aaron is represented by the California-based PMK*BNC.
6 ft 1½ in or 186.5 cm
86 kg or 189.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Aaron has dated –
- Julia Bingham (1995-2005) – Aaron and Julia Bingham began dating in 1995 and after a few months of courtship, got married on April 13, 1996. They became parents to a daughter named Roxy Sorkin on November 17, 2000. After staying together for nearly a decade, the couple parted ways in 2005.
- Maureen Dowd (2005) – New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd caught the fancy of Sorkin and the two dated for a brief time in 2005.
- Kristin Chenoweth (2006) – Actress Kristin Chenoweth was in a relationship with Aaron in 2006. They ended things on a good note and have remained friends ever since. In fact, Sorkin even loosely based the character of Harriet Hayes on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (2006) on her.
- Jane Krakowski (2009) – Sorkin got involved with actress Jane Krakowski in 2009.
- Kristin Davis (2012) – In 2012, Sorkin was linked to actress Kristin Davis, who is largely remembered for playing Charlotte York on Sex and the City (1998-2004).
- Carrie Keagan (2013) – Aaron was rumored to be dating actress Carrie Keagan in 2013. They were often seen together and even attended the 19th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards together.
- Courtney Love (2014) – Sorkin was rumored to be going out with singer Courtney Love in 2014, but the writer’s rep refuted the claims.
- Paulina Porizkova (2021) – In April 2021, it was reported that Aaron was dating model Paulina Porizkova. In July 2021, Paulina confirmed through an Instagram post that the couple had separated.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
- His fast-paced, witty, and sarcastic style of dialogue writing.
- Tall height
Aaron has done endorsement work for The Gap (Print Ad) in 2002.
Best Known For
Being one of the most distinguished screenwriters in Hollywood with his repertoire including films like A Few Good Men (1992), Moneyball (2011), and the political drama series The West Wing (1999-2006) among many others
Aaron made his theatrical film debut in 1992 in the hugely-successful drama thriller A Few Good Men in 1992.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as himself on the documentary series, Working in the Theatre in 1990.
Aaron Sorkin Favorite Things
- Book – Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
- Movie Line – “You’re gonna need a bigger boat” in Jaws (1975)
Aaron Sorkin Facts
- Sorkin took an interest in acting at an early age and studied under drama teacher Arthur Storch at Syracuse University.
- As a struggling actor, he worked odd jobs to make ends meet, some of which included working as a limousine driver, a bartender at Broadway’s Palace Theater, delivering singing telegrams, distributing fliers for a hunting-and-fishing show, and many more.
- He has frequently collaborated with television director Thomas Schlamme to create the ‘walk and talk’ directing sequence where the characters are directed in a single tracking shot, without any cuts, as they engage in extended conversations while moving around the set.
- The idea for his play A Few Good Men came to him from his sister Deborah Sorkin who, at the time, was working as a U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps. The main plot was inspired by her experience of defending a group of Marines who were being charged with trying to kill a fellow Marine (in a hazing incident) on the orders of a superior officer.
- Sorkin was motivated to write an open letter to his teenage daughter Roxy and her mother, Julia Bingham, in 2016 following the election of Donald Trump as President.
- His long-standing battle with substance addiction began in 1987 with marijuana and cocaine. Initially, he began abusing cocaine to relieve himself of nervous tensions that he faced regularly. He finally kicked the habit in 2001.
- In April 2001, he was arrested at Burbank Airport for being in the possession of illicit drugs like hallucinogenic mushrooms, crack cocaine, and marijuana. He subsequently entered a drug diversion program in June 2001.
- His writing process is very energetic wherein he reads his lines aloud and enacts every character. He once got so involved while writing a fight sequence that he accidentally lunged towards the mirror and broke his nose.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Eric Weiss / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0