|Aidan Gillen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||April 24, 1968|
Aidan Gillen is an Irish actor, voice actor, stage artist, writer, and producer who has been a recipient of several accolades including the Irish Film & Television Awards, Empire Hero Award, and NAVGTR Award. He is known for his roles like playing Petyr Baelish in the fantasy drama series Game of Thrones, Stuart Alan Jones in the drama series Queer as Folk, J. Allen Hynek in the historical drama series Project Blue Book, Thomas J. “Tommy” Carcetti in the HBO crime drama series The Wire, John Boy Power in the drama series Love/Hate, Charles J. Haughey in the historical drama miniseries Charlie, Milo Sunter in the crime thriller series Mayor of Kingstown, Everett Newcombe in the drama thriller series Mayday, and Frank Kinsella in the crime drama series Kin. His film credits include The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, Mojo, Some Mother’s Son, Buddy Boy, Gold in the Streets, The Final Curtain, Shanghai Knights, Burning the Bed, Wake Wood, The Dark Knight Rises, Shadow Dancer, The Good Man, Ekki Múkk, Beneath the Harvest Sky, The Lovers, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, You’re Ugly Too, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Rose Plays Julie, and Bohemian Rhapsody.
Drumcondra, Dublin, Ireland
Aidan is based in Dublin, having lived in Kerry, a county on the west coast of Ireland, for half a decade with his former wife and children.
However, he often travels to Los Angeles, London, and New York City for work commitments.
Aidan Gillen went to St. Vincent’s C.B.S. in Glasnevin, Dublin.
Actor, Voice Actor, Stage Artist, Writer, Producer
- Father – He was an architect. He has passed away since.
- Mother – She was a nurse.
- Siblings – Fionnuala Murphy (Older Sister) (Actress), John Paul Murphy (Older Brother) (Playwright), Patricia Murphy (Older Sister) (Teacher). He has two other older siblings.
Aidan has been represented by –
- Greene & Associates Talent Agency
- Independent Talent Group Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
His net worth has been $8 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Aidan has dated –
- Olivia O’Flanagan – The details of his relationship with Olivia O’Flanagan aren’t clear. There are some sources that report they had met in their teens in Dublin and had started dating soon after, whereas there are others that state otherwise. In 1997, she gave birth to a daughter, Berry. Berry was followed by Joe in 2000. They got married in an intimate ceremony in 2001. They are no longer together.
- Camille O’Sullivan (2015-Present) – The rumors of Aidan dating singer Camille O’Sullivan started swirling around in the second half of 2015. They were reported to have been spotted at a number of events such as art exhibitions in Dublin. They finally decided to make their relationship public in November 2015 as he took her out for a U2 concert in Belfast.
Race / Ethnicity
Aidan Gillen is of Irish descent.
His natural hair color is “Black” but due to his advanced age, he often has a few gray strands.
- Loves to play villainous characters
- His smirking expressions
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish in the fantasy drama HBO series, Game of Thrones. This performance got him nominated for an Irish Film and Television Award for “Actor in a Supporting Role Television” in 2012 and 2014.
- Having played Tommy Carcetti in the American crime drama series, The Wire.
- Being one of the highly acclaimed Irish actors with nominations for leading awards such as the Tony Award, British Academy Television Award, and British Independent Film Award already in his resume.
In 1987, Gillen made his first film appearance in a minor role in the drama movie, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne.
Before that, he was only seen in the short film The Drip in 1985.
First TV Show
In 1982, Aidan made his TV show debut in the Irish children’s TV series, Wanderly Wagon.
Aidan Gillen has worked with fitness blogger and personal trainer Mayling Ng to upgrade his fitness for physically challenging roles. The workout routine devised by Mayling comprised of compound exercises such as barbell squats; bodyweight exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, and dips; and explosive plyometric exercises. The focus was on building functional strength that would serve him well while doing grueling action sequences.
If he is not working in the gym, he likes to head out for a jog to maintain his fitness. His other preferred form of exercise is to get on a stationary bike in his flat.
Aidan Gillen Favorite Things
- Movies – Jaws (1975), Taxi Driver (1976), The Exorcist (1973), The Wicker Man (1973), Badlands (1973), Performance (1970), Scarecrow (1973), Day for Night (1973)
- Music Artist – Sun Kil Moon (aka Mark Kozelek)
- Technology Gadget – 8mm Vintage Camera
- Theater – Curzon Soho Cinema
- Book – The Bandini Quartet by John Fante
- Greatest Fear – Tickled to death by large spiders
- Most Treasured Possession – Coffin box, which is essentially a 1970’s money box
- Super Power – Tidying house through telekinesis
- Word – Unhalfbricking
- Smell – Chips, vinegar, and salt in a brown paper bag
- Guiltiest Pleasure – Too Shy (By Kajagoogoo)
- Greatest Love of his Life – His children
- Funeral Song – Pyramid Song by Radiohead
Source – Irish Examiner, The Guardian, The Guardian
Aidan Gillen Facts
- He left Dublin at the age of 18 and moved to London for better acting opportunities. He hadn’t been outside Ireland till his departure for the English capital.
- To prepare for his deranged role as a hammer-wielding murderer in the Jason Statham-starrer thriller Blitz, he made apocalyptic videos. And, to check whether he has got character perfectly, he got in a costume and character and tried to buy a hammer, and he was refused.
- He got his breakthrough after he was cast in the role of Stuart in the short-lived British TV series, Queer as Folk, which was centered on the lives of three gay men.
- He had to use his mother’s surname (Gillen) for his professional name because someone else had already registered Aidan Murphy with Actor’s Guild.
- His first acting project on American shores was an Indie movie called Buddy Boy.
- When he was cast in Queer as Folk, he had signed a contract for only 10 episodes as he feared he might get struck with Stuart for the rest of his life.
- Due to his shy and introverted nature, he rarely succeeds in auditions. Most of the roles he has got were due to the casting team noticing his other works and signing him up without auditioning.
- At the age of 10, he won a local art competition.
- To relax and unwind, he relies on meditation, sleep, alcohol, and cycling.
- While growing up, he wanted to become a stuntman. His role model was Evel Knievel, who was well-known for motorcycle stunts and is reported to have tried more than 75 ramp-to-ramp jumps in his lifetime.
- Alongside Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joe Mazzello, Tom Hollander, and Mike Myers, he co-starred portraying the character of John Reid (Queen‘s manager) in the 2018 biographical musical drama film Bohemian Rhapsody.
- He doesn’t have any social media accounts.
Featured Image via Aidan Gillen / CC BY-SA 4.0