|Ajuma Nasenyana Quick Info
|5 ft 10 in
|Date of Birth
|January 14, 1985
Ajuma Nasenyana is a Kenyan model who has walked the ramp for several leading fashion designers around the world. She has also been featured on the cover of many international fashion magazines such as Elle, Dazed and Confused, Gala, and W.
Lodwar, Turkana County, Kenya
She splits her time between Nairobi, Kenya, and New York City, New York, United States.
Ajuma had completed her studies at the prestigious Greensteds International School in Nakuru, Kenya, which she had been able to join through the courtesy of an NGO from her hometown of Lodwar.
- Siblings – Cissie Nasenyana (Sister)
She is represented by –
- Surazuri Casting & Consultancy Ltd., Modeling Agency, Nairobi, Kenya
- Ford Models, Modeling Agency, New York City, New York, United States
- City Models, Modeling Agency, Paris, France
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ajuma has dated –
- Gustav Ericsson (2000-Present) – Ajuma had first met Nairobi-based entrepreneur Gustav Ericsson in 2000 when she was just 15 years old. They soon began dating each other and got married eventually. They have 2 sons together named Elliott (b. 2010) and Willow (b. 2016).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Kenyan descent.
- Toned physique
- Close-cropped hair
- Gleaming face
- Affable smile
- Plump lips
Ajuma Nasenyana Facts
- Although Ajuma has achieved tremendous success as a model internationally, it was not exactly her first choice of career growing up. She had wanted to be a track-and-field athlete and had trained for 400-meters and 800-meters track running. She had even won the World Junior Championship National trials in 2002 and had stood 3rd in the World Championship National trials.
- Her career turned around completely in 2003 when she had competed in the Miss Tourism Kenya competition, where she had been crowned ‘Miss Nairobi’. Soon enough she was scouted by Lindsey McIntyre, the founder and owner of Surazuri Casting & Consultancy Ltd.
- A few months later, when Gamma Photo Agency went to Kenya to cover Lindsey’s journey as a scout model, they met Ajuma at the airport as she was just about to leave for Sweden. They immediately shot a picture portfolio with her and sent it to Ford Models, which helped her participate in Ford’s ‘Supermodel of the World’ competition.
- She was a finalist in the competition and had won USD 50k in prize money which had made her the first black model to win in an international contest that did not feature black models only. Later that year, she had won € 6k after being voted the ‘Best Model’ during the Spanish Fashion Week.
- In August 2005, she was voted as one of the ‘World’s 10 Most Beautiful Women’ by Complex magazine.
- In 2013, in collaboration with City Models, she had launched Africa’s first international model and casting agency. She has also been vocal against the discrimination faced by black models, particularly females, in the modeling industry.
- She has also been a regular campaigner against practices such as skin bleaching that are prevalent in Kenya due to an unhealthy fascination with European beauty standards.
Featured Image by Ajuma Nasenyana / Instagram