|Algee Smith Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 7, 1994|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Algee Smith is a singer and actor who has his family roots in Saginaw, Michigan but moved to Los Angeles, California at the age of 20 for bigger opportunities in the entertainment industry. After earning critical acclaim for playing the characters of Ralph Tresvant in The New Edition Story (2017) and Larry Reed in Detroit (2017), Algee has frequently expressed interest in playing characters that celebrate the accomplishments of African American people or being a part of stories that compel the audience to think deeply about prevailing social issues.
Saginaw, Michigan, United States
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
Algee briefly studied in Early Head Start and Kempton Elementary School in Saginaw, Michigan.
His family (mother and stepfather) moved to Atlanta when he was 7 years old and since then, he was homeschooled till he got his high school diploma so that he could hone his skills in music and acting.
Singer, Actor, Entrepreneur (Founder of 7 Scope Entertainment LLC)
- Father – Algee Smith III (Barber, Minister, Songwriter & Producer)
- Mother – Tanesha Eley (Fashion Designer)
- Siblings – Jonathan Eley (Younger Half-Brother), Soteria Nisreen Eley (Younger Half-Sister), Gabriella Eley (Younger Half-Sister), Mei’asia Smith (Half-Sister)
- Others –
- John Eley (Stepfather) (Musician / Guitarist, Music Producer)
- Trudy Smith aka Tru (Stepmother) (Entrepreneur)
- Alga Smith (Paternal Grandfather)
- Phyllis Smith (Paternal Grandmother)
- Erwin Smith (Paternal Uncle)
Algee is represented by –
- John Eley and Yasmine Pearl at First Access Entertainment
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA)
- Rick Genow of Stone Genow (Attorney)
Hip-Hop, R&B, Soul, Funk
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is African American.
- Wide spaced eyes with monolids
- Frequently switches his appearance with radical changes in his hair and beard style
- Bright, good-natured smile
Algee was cast in his first ever fashion campaign for Prada Fall/Winter 2018 in the ad campaign named Observia.
Best Known For
- Attaining massive critical acclaim for playing Ralph Tresvant in the 3 part mini-series called The New Edition Story (2017) aired on Black Entertainment Television (BET Network)
- Gaining widespread recognition in 2017 for playing Larry Reed in the Academy Award winner Kathryn Bigelow’s directorial project called Detroit (2017). Although the film did not do well at the box office, it received positive reviews.
As a Singer
He independently released a single called She Say in 2013.
Algee released an EP titled Listen in 2017 which contained 6 tracks.
Algee was cast to play the character of Marcus Simms in the adventure, sci-fi film Earth to Echo (2014).
First TV Show
Algee had a 1 episode guest role of a character named Spencer in the Nickelodeon musical comedy titled How to Rock in 2012.
In an interview, Algee shared that he tries to eat more fruits and green vegetables to stay fit but did not share any details about his exercise regime.
Algee Smith Favorite Things
- Role – Larry Reed in Detroit (2017)
- Role Model – Will Smith
- Basketball Player – Draymond Jamal Green (Golden State Warriors)
Source – Lapalme Magazine, Vanity Fair, RnB Supreme
Algee Smith Facts
- He started writing songs at the age of 9 and began rapping by the time he turned 10.
- With the help of his father, Algee recorded his first rap song when he was 9 years old which was called We Some Ridaz, although he performed that largely for his church crowd and did not release it commercially.
- He developed his musical style after listening to Tupac Shakur and other Christian rappers in his childhood.
- At the age of 12, he got to perform in front of a sold-out audience in Madison Square Garden, NYC as a member of World Changers Church Choir.
- Although the actor’s initial aspiration was to become a rapper, Algee started focusing on singing and acting at the age of 16 upon the advice of his manager.
- Algee performed a soundtrack called Grow for the film Detroit (2017) which also featured a performance by the original Larry Reed, the character Algee was cast in for the movie.
- He was on the cover of Variety Magazine issue dated August 1, 2017.
- The actor told Lapalme magazine that he is known as the weird one among his group of friends.
- To find out more about Algee Smith, visit his official website @ algeesmith.com.
- Follow him on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Algee Smith / Instagram