|Andrea Bocelli Quick Info
|6 ft 1½ in
|Date of Birth
|September 22, 1958
Andrea Bocelli is an Italian singer, songwriter, and record producer whose angelic voice and tremendous vocal skills have made him one of the best-selling music artists in the world. Many music experts and leading music artists such as Celine Dion have claimed that Andrea Bocelli has the most beautiful voice in the world and it is almost impossible to argue that. He has sold tens of millions of music albums and has managed to achieve success in classical, jazz, and pop genre.
Lajatico, Tuscany, Italy
Bocelli lives with his family in a lavish and classy villa in Forte dei Marmi on the Mediterranean coast of Italy.
After completing his secondary school education in 1980, Andrea Bocelli got enrolled at the University of Pisa and eventually graduated with a law degree.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Alessandro Bocelli (He passed away in 2000.)
- Mother – Edi Bocelli
- Siblings – Alberto Bocelli (Younger Brother)
Andrea Bocelli is represented by Almud Edizioni Musicali s.r.l (Talent Management Company).
Classical Crossover, Operatic Pop (Popera), Easy Listening, Latin Pop, Pop, Vocal, Traditional Pop
Vocals, Piano, Flute, Saxophone, Guitar, Drums, Trombone, Trumpet
Universal Music Group, Philips, PolyGram, Decca, Sugar, Verve Records
6 ft 1½ in or 186.5 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andrea Bocelli has dated –
- Enrica Cenzatti (1987-2002) – Bocelli first met Enrica Cenzatti in 1987 while performing at the piano bars in Pisa. At that time, he was studying at the University of Pisa. They got married in an intimate and romantic wedding ceremony in June 1992. She gave birth to their first son, Amos, in February 1995. They welcomed their second son, Matteo, in October 1997. In September 2018, Bocelli released a single, Fall On Me, with Matteo. Enrica and Bocelli separated in 2002.
- Veronica Berti (2002-Present) – In 2002, he met Veronica Berti who also works as his manager. They started dating soon after. In September 2011, it was announced that she was pregnant with their first child. She gave birth to his first daughter, Virginia, in March 2012. They got married at the Sanctuary of Montenero in the coastal town of Livorno in March 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt & Pepper
He is blind in both eyes.
Andrea Bocelli has appeared in TV commercials for –
- Barilla Pasta
- Telekom Europe
He is a devout Catholic. He had previously been agnostic but after being influenced by Leo Tolstoy’s works, he decided to return to his childhood faith.
Best Known For
Being one of the best selling music artists in the world. Several of his studio albums have been featured in the top of the music charts in several countries. Also, his albums have sold tens of millions of copies and have earned platinum and gold certifications in many countries.
In 1994, he released his first pop studio album, Il Mare Calmo della Sera. The album did well in Germany, Austria, and the Netherlands, managing to sneak into the top of music charts.
In 1995, Bocelli released his first classical album, Viaggio Italiano, which was a resounding success. The album was certified as platinum in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
In February 2006, he released his first Latin studio album, Amor, which received twice platinum certification in the United States.
First TV Show
In 1994, Andrea Bocelli made his first TV show appearance in the music series, Festival di Sanremo.
Andrea Bocelli Favorite Things
- Place In The British Isles – New Forest and Bournemouth
- Holiday Destination – Ischia
- Writers – Leo Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Hotels – Ritz-Carlton in New York, The Dorchester in London
- Meal Abroad – Shabu-shabu in Japan
- City – Rome
- Football Club – Inter Milan
Source – Independent, Wikipedia
Andrea Bocelli Facts
- His parents were advised to abort him as the doctors felt that the child would be born with a disability. However, his mother decided to go against their advice and Bocelli would later call his mother his inspiration for his opposition to abortion.
- He was born with some eyesight issues and was eventually diagnosed with congenital glaucoma.
- At the age of 12, he was hit in the eye by a soccer ball while playing as a goalkeeper in a soccer game. It resulted in a brain hemorrhage and doctors decided to use leeches in an attempt to save his sight. However, they failed and he lost his eyesight completely.
- After his nanny gifted him the record of Franco Corelli, he started showing interest in becoming a tenor. By the age of 7, he was able to recognize the voice of popular singers and often tried to emulate them.
- At the age of 6, he started taking piano lessons. Later, he took training for saxophone, guitar, drums, trombone, trumpet, and flute.
- He gave his first concert performance in a small village which was near to the village he was born in.
- By the age of 14, he had managed to win the first song competition as he performed O sole mio at the Margherita d’Oro in Viareggio.
- While studying in college, he used to regularly perform at the piano bars in the evenings to earn some extra money. He worked as a court-appointed lawyer after graduating from college.
- He was discovered by Italian producer and former singer, Caterina Caselli. Caselli has served as Bocelli’s producer and manager throughout his career.
- He got his breakthrough when Italian singer and musician, Zucchero, had organized auditions for tenors for the demo tape of his single, Miserere, which he was going to send to Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti. After hearing Bocelli’s tape, Pavarotti advised Zucchero to use Bocelli in the original recording instead of him.
- He was signed up by Sugar Music label after record label’s president heard him sing Miserere and Nessun Dorma at Zucchero’s birthday party. Bocelli had accompanied the rock star for his European tour in 1993.
- He has collaborated with his brother to start Bocelli Family label which is an award-winning collection of wines. The wine is made from grapes grown on his family farm.
- He made his major operatic role debut as he was cast as Rodolfo in a production of La bohème at the Teatro Comunale, Cagliari in February 1998.
- In April 1999, he made his debut in the United States as he performed at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The next day he was received at the White House by the then U.S. President Bill Clinton.
- In November 1999, his autobiographical novel titled as La musica del silenzio was released in Italy.
- He was invited by Queen Elizabeth II to perform at the annual Royal Variety Performance in Birmingham, UK.
- In recognition of his contributions to live theatre, he was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard just in front of the Roosevelt Hotel.
- Just a day after his father’s death, he gave a live performance for Pope John Paul II in Rome. He was urged by his mother to honor his commitment and immediately after the concert, he returned home for the funeral.
- In recognition of his contribution to music, he was awarded the Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic in March 2006.
- Visit his official website @ andreabocelli.com.
- Follow Andrea Bocelli on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Andrea Bocelli / Instagram