Céline Marie Claudette Dion
Charlemagne, Quebec, Canada
She attended local elementary school Ecole St. Jude in Charlemagne, Quebec. But, she dropped out at 12 to focus fully on her career.
Singer, songwriter-composer, actress
- Father – Adhémar Dion (Butcher)
- Mother – Thérèse (née Tanguay) (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Jacques Dion (Older Brother), Michel Dondalinger Dion (Older Brother)
She has 13 siblings (including the above two). All of them are older than her.
Celine was previously managed by her husband, René Angélil.
Pop, rock, dance, adult contemporary
Sony Music Canada, Epic, 550, Columbia Records
5 ft 7½ in or 171 cm
53 kg or 117 pounds
Celine Dion met Canadian music manager René Angelil as a teenager (in 1980) when her brother Michel Dondalinger Dion sent the music recording to René Angelil. Rene was so impressed by her voice that he decided to make her a star. He mortgaged his home to fund her first record, “La voix du bon Dieu”.
The duo soon started dating in April 1987. They engaged in 1991. They married on December 17, 1994 at Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, Quebec.
The couple has three children (all boys) – René-Charles Angelil (born – January 25, 2001), fraternal twins Nelson and Eddy (born – October 23, 2010).
Race / Ethnicity
She has French-Canadian ancestry on both of her parents’ side.
She has naturally “Dark Brown” hair.
- Spectacular vocal range spanning five octaves
- Quebec accent
- Long brown hair
34-24-35 in or 86-61-89 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU) or 8 (UK)
9 (US) or 39.5 (EU)
Coty, Inc., Le Mirage Golf Club, Schwartz’s Restaurant, Nightclub Pure located at Caesars Palace, and Air Canada.
She has appeared in commercials on KDDI “Lismo Video Clip”, Chrysler PT Cruiser car, DaimlerChrysler Voyager, Walgreen’s Drug Stores, Chrysler Pacifica.
Best Known For
Her albums and singing.
Celine released her debut album La voix du bon Dieu on November 9, 1981 via Super Étoiles. It’s a French language album. It didn’t receive any certifications. It consisted of 9 tracks, making it a total length of approx 34 minutes.
On April 2, 1990, Celine released her English-language debut (otherwise, it is the 15th album) album Unison in North America via Columbia and Epic Records. The album got released in the rest of the world the next year. It received mixed reviews. She was able to sell about 3,000,000 copies of the album in the world with a certification of 7x Platinum in Canada, Platinum in USA, and Gold in France and UK.
In 2014, she appeared in comedy adventure film Muppets Most Wanted for her role as “Piggy Fairy Godmother”.
First TV Show
In 1991, Dion appeared in French-language TV series Des fleurs sur la neige for her role as Élisa Trudel.
Celine does not believe in working out hard and putting efforts in dieting.
Good genes, portion control, and an active lifestyle is her key to lean figure.
When Celine is busy performing up to six times in a week, the singer keeps herself fit by spinning on the stationary bike and going through a massage in order to tone her shoulders.
She also does some stretching exercises as a warm up before going to the stage.
Celine Dion Favorite Things
- Algerian Songwriter – Eddy Marnay
- Songs – Proud Mary (By Creedence Clearwater Revival), The Show Must Go On (By Queen), Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word (By Elton John), Me and Bobby McGee (By Janis Joplin), Why? (By Annie Lennox), It Was a Very Good Year (By Frank Sinatra), Home (By Michael Bublé), Purple Rain (By Prince), I Wish (By Stevie Wonder), Riders on the Storm (By The Doors)
Celine Dion Facts
- Celine Dion was named after the song Céline recorded in 1964 (2 years before her birth) by French singer Hugues Aufray.
- She was born in a poverty-stricken family having 13 older siblings.
- There are tons (literally) of singers, who has cited Celine as either their major influence or as a favorite singer. Some of those singers are Adele, Ariana Grande, Christina Aguilera, Charice, Delta Goodrem, Faith Hill, Frank Ocean, Josh Groban, Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson, Rihanna, Rita Ora, Jordin Sparks, Leona Lewis, Jessie J, Jojo, Lea Michele, Regine Velasquez, Taylor Swift, The Canadian Tenors, Katy Perry, Vanessa Hudgens and many others.
- Singing teacher Linda Lister named Celine as the reigning Queen of Pop for her singing contribution during the 1990s and having a big influence at that time.
- She became more popular after winning 1982 Yamaha World Popular Song Festival held in Tokyo, Japan.
- She knows French and English.
- In high school, she got the title of “Vampire Queen” because of her sharp looking smile.
- She runs a restaurant chain called Nickels, which she first opened in Québec in 1990. But, as of 1997, she is not affiliated with Nickels anymore.
- She recorded a duet with Barbra Streisand named “Tell Him”.
- In 1983, she became the first Canadian artist to win a gold record in France for the single “D’amour ou d’amitié” (“Of Love or of Friendship”).
- Dion enjoys playing golf.
- She also started her own magazine called “Celine Dion Magazine”.
- She has a stepson Patrick Angélil to whom Celine is three months younger.
- Visit her official website @ celinedion.com.
- Join Celine on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.