|Andy Griffith Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||June 1, 1926|
Andy Griffith was an American actor, comedian, producer, singer, writer, director, musician, and teacher who is best known for playing the lead role of Sheriff Andy Taylor in the widely popular situation comedy television series, The Andy Griffith Show, from 1960 to 1968. Apart from his career as an actor, he was also an accomplished musician whose album, I Love to Tell the Story – 25 Timeless Hymns, won the 1997 Grammy Award for “Best Southern, Country or Bluegrass Gospel Album”.
Andy Samuel Griffith
He was born on June 1, 1926.
Andy Griffith died at the age of 86 on July 3, 2012, in Manteo, Dare County, North Carolina, United States from a heart attack.
Griffith Family Cemetery, Roanoke Island, Dare County, North Carolina, United States
Mount Airy, Surry County, North Carolina, United States
Andy Griffith studied at Mount Airy High School and developed an interest in the arts and took part in the school’s drama program. Later, he got enrolled at the University of North Carolina (UNC), located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, from where he graduated in 1949 with a Bachelor of Music degree.
Actor, Comedian, Producer, Singer, Writer, Director, Musician, Teacher
- Father – Carl Lee Griffith (Worked as a helper or carpenter)
- Mother – Geneva (née Nunn)
- Siblings – He was an only child.
- Others – John D. Griffith (Paternal Grandfather), Sarah Frances Taylor (Paternal Grandmother), Samuel Nunn (Maternal Grandfather), Jopina Frances Cassel (Maternal Grandmother)
He had released his work via Colonial and Capitol Records.
6 ft or 183 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andy Griffith had dated –
- Betty Kelly – Rumor
- Aneta Corsaut
- Barbara Bray Edwards (1949-1972) – Andy Griffith married Barbara Bray Edwards on August 22, 1949, and the duo became parents to 2 adoptive children – a son named Andy Samuel Griffith Jr. and a daughter named Dixie Nann Griffith. However, after being together for more than 2 decades, they got divorced in 1972.
- Solica Cassuto (1973-1981) – In 1973, he married Greek actress Solica Cassuto but they eventually separated by the year 1981.
- Cindi Knight (1983-2012) – On April 12, 1983, he got married to Cindi Knight and they remained together until his last days.
Race / Ethnicity
Andy Griffith was of English, Irish, German, French, Welsh, and Scottish descent.
- Southern drawl
- Gruff, gregarious voice
Andy Griffith had appeared in TV commercials for brands like A-1 Steak Sauce, Ritz Crackers, and Sanka Coffee.
He was raised Baptist.
Andy Griffith Favorite Things
- Character Played By Him – Ben Matlock in Matlock
Source – IMDb
Andy Griffith Facts
- His son died of alcoholism in 1996.
- In April 1983, he was diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome and he was unable to walk for 7 months as he suffered paralysis from the knees down.
- Andy Griffith was best friends with fellow actor and comedian, Don Knotts.
Featured Image by State Archives of North Carolina Raleigh, NC / Flickr / No Known Copyright Restrictions