|Andy Richter Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||October 28, 1966|
Andy Richter is an American actor, voice actor, writer, comedian, and late-night talk show announcer. He is best known for being the sidekick of television host Conan O’Brien on The Late Night Show and The Tonight Show and for lending his voice to the character of Mort in the computer-animated franchise Madagascar. He has more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter.
Paul Andrew Richter
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Burbank, California, United States
Andy attended Yorkville High School and graduated in 1984. He further went on to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign and Columbia College Chicago where he majored in film.
Actor, Voice Actor, Writer, Comedian, Talk Show Announcer
- Father – Laurence R. Richter (Teacher)
- Mother – Glenda Swanson (Kitchen Cabinet Designer)
- Siblings – Victor Swanson (Brother). He has 2 more siblings.
Andy is represented by Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
98 kg or 216 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andy has dated –
- Sarah Thyre (1991-2019) – Andy first met actress Sarah Thyre in 1991. The couple later started dating and got married in 1994. The couple are proud parents to 2 children, a son (b. 2001) and a daughter (b. 2005). They, however, parted in 2019 as Andy announced of their separation on his Twitter account on April 13, 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Swedish and German ancestry.
- Curly Hair
- Tall Height
He has done advertisement work for Reach in 1997.
Best Known For
- Being the sidekick of television host Conan O’Brien on The Late Night Show and The Tonight Show
- Lending his voice to the character of Mort in the computer-animated franchise, Madagascar
Richter made his theatrical film debut in the comedy television film The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom in 1993 in which he played the role of a police officer.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance on the talk show Late Night with Conan O’Brien as himself in 1993.
Andy Richter Facts
- He was elected the prom king while he was in high school.
- His parents parted ways when he was only 4 years old and his father later revealed his sexuality as gay.
- He got a chance to work in several student films and videos while he was studying at Columbia College Chicago and learned a lot about comedic acting and writing in the late 1980s.
- After working as a production assistant for a year, he started attending classes at Improv Olympic improv theater and training center in Chicago where he turned into a house performer in just 1 year.
- He wrote for the reality show of Jonathan Brandmeier which was short-lived.
- In the early 90s, his theatre produced a popular show called The Real Live Brady Bunch which was a huge success and went on to be played in the New York City. Although Andy was not part of the show, he got a chance when the actor who played Mike Brady left and the producers had no other replacements.
- Two of his fellow Aannoyance members got cast in Saturday Night Live and with their help, Andy was able to get into the after parties where he also met The Saturday Night Live writer Robert Smigel who 2 years later cast him on his new show The Late Night With Conan O’Brien.
- Andy was originally hired as a writer with The Late Night With Conan O’Brien, but he was promoted to being the sidekick of the show host weeks before the show began.
- Conan and Andy’s chemistry was noticed by Robert Smigel when he sent Andy to join Conan on stage during the lights and angle testing.
- He bid farewell to the Late Night Show on May 26, 2000, after 7 years to pursue his dream of acting in films and television.
- His big break came with the sitcom Andy Richter Controls The Universe but the show got shelved after just 2 midseason runs.
- He rejoined Conan O’Brien on The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien as an announcer in June 2009.
- Andy was originally considered to be the host of American television game show franchise Pyramid but the network did not go with that choice.
- Besides his regular appearance on the Late Night Show, he has also made appearances on shows like Malcolm in the Middle, Will & Grace, Monk, Arrested Development, The New Adventures of Old Christine, and many more.
- He also appeared in the famous reality show called Jeopardy and became a semifinalist but he had to leave the show due to performing with Conan.
- He has also worked in films such as Madagascar, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, My Boss’s Daughter, Scary Movie 2, and more.
- Andy is a supporter of non-profit organization Planned Parenthood and is also a member of a social college fraternity for male college students in the United States called Sigma Phi Epsilon.
- In April 2019, Andy joined a delegation of writers to fire their agents as a part of Writers Guilds of America’s stand against the association of talent agents.
Featured Image by Andy Richter / Twitter