|Andy Serkis Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 20, 1964|
Andy Serkis is a British actor, director, and producer who is best known for portraying roles comprising motion capture acting and voice work for computer-generated characters such as Gollum in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, Kong / Lumpy in King Kong, Caesar in the Planet of the Apes reboot trilogy, Captain Haddock / Sir Francis Haddock in The Adventures of Tintin, Baloo in Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, and Supreme Leader Snoke in The Force Awakens. He has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films like Career Girls, The Escapist, Standing Room Only, Death of a Superhero, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Black Panther, A Christmas Carol, The Bill, The Simpsons, Fungus the Bogeyman, Once Upon a Time in Iraq, The Batman, and many more. During the course of his career, Andy has been honored with numerous awards such as the British Academy Film Award, Empire Award, and MTV Movie & TV Award.
Andrew Clement Serkis
Andy Serkis and The Blockheads, Andy, Gollum
Ruislip, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Crouch End, North London, United Kingdom
Andy finished his schooling at St Benedict’s School, Ealing, and went on to study at Lancaster University with a major in visual arts and theater as a secondary subject, since he was fond of designing posters.
While in college, he was a member of the radio station managed by the student council and also a part of the County College.
He eventually associated himself with Nuffield Studio, in designing and producing the plays.
Actor, director, producer
- Father – Clement Serkis (Doctor)
- Mother – Lylie (Weech)
- Siblings – Andy has 3 sisters and 1 brother.
The following companies manage Andy
- The Imaginarium Studios (U.K.)
- Principal Entertainment (U.S.)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andy Serkis has dated –
- Lorraine Ashbourne (1990-Present) – British actress Lorraine began dating Andy in 1990. The couple decided to tie the knot after 12 years of dating in 2002. The couple has three children, daughter Ruby Serkis (b. 1998), and sons Sonny Serkis (b. 2000), and Louis George Serkis (b. June 19, 2004).
Race / Ethnicity
Andy Serkis has Armenian roots and is Iraqi due to his father’s side while his mother has British ancestry.
Salt and Pepper
- His rugged look with his hair and beard
- Andy’s grayish-blue eyes
Andy has appeared in a TV commercial for Greenpeace.
Best Known For
- Playing motion capture roles for computer-animated characters which look lifelike on the screen such as Gollum in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy (2001-2003).
- Appearing in the films like The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012), and King Kong (2005) amongst others.
Andy made his theatrical film debut in the adventure drama Royal Deceit (aka Prince of Jutland) in 1994 as Torsten.
First TV Show
Andy made his television show debut in two episodes of the sitcom The New Statesman as Peter Moran in 1989.
Andy has always been fond of physical activities and often rides his mountain and road bike which helps him maintain his stamina and health.
He is also fond of running. His challenging roles require him to be flexible and in perfect shape. He also underwent strength training to play the role of Ulysses Klaue in the movie Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).
Andy Serkis Facts
- His father who was a gynecologist was kept in prison under Saddam Hussein‘s rule when he opened a hospital in Baghdad.
- He is the co-founder of The Imaginarium in London which is a capture studio for production and performance.
- He follows vegetarianism. However, during the filming of The Lord of the Rings, he began consuming fish and no other meat.
- He has often skipped taking a bath because of time constraints.
- In his life, he once was having s*xual intercourse 4 to 5 times a day.
- He has done voiceover work in video games for characters like King Bohan in Heavenly Sword, The Witch King / Gollum in The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II – The Rise of the Witch-king, and Supreme Leader Snoke in Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Featured Image by Ibsan73 / Flickr / CC BY 2.0