|Angus Young Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 31, 1955|
Angus Young is an Australian musician, songwriter, producer, and guitarist who is known as the sole constant original member of the hard rock band AC/DC. Formed in Sydney in 1973, the band was ranked number #4 on VH1‘s list of the “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock” while the Rolling Stone ranked it number #72 on its list of the “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” in 2004. AC/DC‘s discography includes multiple albums like For Those About to Rock We Salute You, High Voltage, Let There Be Rock, T.N.T., Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Powerage, Highway to Hell, Back in Black, Flick of the Switch, Stiff Upper Lip, The Razors Edge, Blow Up Your Video, Fly on the Wall, Power Up, Rock or Bust, Black Ice, and Ballbreaker. Moreover, Angus Young was ranked 24th in Rolling Stone‘s list of 100 greatest guitarists of all time.
Angus McKinnon Young
The Guitar God, A-Bomb
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
When he is not touring with AC/DC, he divides his time between Australia, the UK, and the Netherlands.
He has built a mega-mansion in Aalten, which is his wife’s hometown.
Angus Young went to the Ashfield Boys High School, located in the western suburb of Sydney. However, he didn’t complete his high school education and dropped out at the age of 16.
Musician, Songwriter, Producer, Guitarist
- Father – William Young
- Mother – Margaret Young
- Siblings – George Young (Older Brother), Malcolm Young (Older Brother) (Musician, Songwriter, Producer), Margaret Young (Older Sister), Alexander Young (Older Brother). He has 3 other older siblings as well.
- Others – William Young (Paternal Grandfather), Jeanie Mitchell (Paternal Grandmother), Alexander Young (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret Haslett (Maternal Grandmother)
His music band AC/DC has been represented by Albert Music (Music Management Company).
Hard rock, Blues-rock, Rock and roll
- Columbia Records
His net worth had been $160 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Angus Young has dated –
- Ellen van Lochem (1979-Present) – Angus first met Dutch beauty Ellen van Lochem in July 1979 in Arnhem-Holland, where his music band was going to film Veronica’s Countdown for Dutch TV. At that time, Ellen was going out with singer Bennie Jolink, who was a member of the Dutch rock band Normaal. They started dating shortly later.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Scottish and Irish ancestry.
- Often wears schoolboy uniform on stage
- Slight body frame
- Wild and eccentric antics on stage
Best Known For
- Being the original and constant member of the popular hard rock band, AC/DC. They are known as one of the best-selling music acts in history. They have sold more than 200 million records all over the world.
- The immense popularity of his band’s album, Back in Black, which has been certified as 22x multi-platinum in the United States
- Being one of the most iconic and popular guitarists in the rock music genre
In February 1975, his rock band released their debut studio album, High Voltage, which was released only in Australia. However, the album was a resounding success as more than 350,000 records were sold.
In 1997, he made his theatrical film debut as himself in the biographical comedy movie, Private Parts, which was based on the life of radio and TV host Howard Stern.
First TV Show
In 1978, Angus Young made his first TV show appearance on the music show, Top of the Pops.
Angus Young Favorite Things
- Musicians – Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis
- Music Genre – Old rock & roll
- Soccer Club – Rangers FC
- Song to Perform – Back in Black
Angus Young Facts
- While at school, he wasn’t a good student. The only subject he enjoyed was arts as it afforded him some freedom of expression.
- After dropping out of high school, he started working in a position as a printer at a soft p*rn magazine called Ribald.
- He initially started playing music on a banjo. Then, his mother bought him a second-hand cheap acoustic guitar model.
- He bought his iconic late ’60s Gibson SG at the age of 16 from a music shop, which was within the walking distance of his family home in Sydney. He still uses that guitar for his performances.
- Angus is a notorious chain smoker but he doesn’t touch any alcoholic beverage.
- After dropping out of high school, he played music for the local rock band, Kantuckee. When the band was disbanded, he became a member of Tantrum, which is suggested as the predecessor of AC/DC.
- He had tried a lot of costumes while trying to find a perfect look. Eventually, he settled on his signature schoolboy look on his sister Margaret’s suggestion. She designed his first uniform before he decided to wear his original school uniform for his performances.
- His band’s studio album, Back in Black, holds the distinction of being the 2nd album after Michael Jackson’s Thriller to cross the 50 million record sales mark.
- In 2003, his music act AC/DC was honored with inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- It has been reported that amongst other heavy metal music, his riffs from AC/DC anthems such as Highway to Hell and Hells Bells were used by the American government officials to flush out Manuel Noriega from the embassy in Panama. Apparently, Noriega was a well-known opera lover.
- After conducting a poll in 2012, the Australian Guitar Magazine declared him “Best Australian Guitarist of All Time”.
- On November 13, 2020, AC/DC released its 17th studio album titled Power Up which is the band’s first album since the death of co-founder and rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young in 2017. The album peaked at number #1 on many charts including the US Billboard 200 chart and the US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) chart as well as was nominated at the 64th Grammy Awards in the “Best Rock Album” category.
- He doesn’t have any social media accounts.
Featured Image by Florez007 / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0