|Anna Akana Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||August 18, 1989|
Anna Akana is a comedian, filmmaker, and actress of varied heritage. She started doing comedy at the age of 19 but finally switched to YouTube in 2011 because she was getting panic attacks.
Anna Kay Akana
California, United States
Anna Akana decided to drop out of college after the first semester as she wanted to focus on her comedic career.
Filmmaker, actress, producer, comedian
- Father – William Akana (The United States Marine Corps Officer)
- Mother – Mia Akana
- Siblings – Kristina Akana (Younger Sister) (Committed suicide at the age of 13 on the Valentine’s Eve in 2007), Will Akana (Brother) (Works on Anna’s videos)
- Others – Gerald “Gerry” Kealohaohana Akana (Paternal Grandfather), Emiko Murata (Paternal Grandmother)
Anna Akana is represented by Los Angeles based Coronel Group (Talent Management Company).
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Anna Akana has dated –
- Ray William Johnson (2011-2014) – Anna Akana started going out with fellow YouTuber Ray William Johnson in 2011. During the course of their relationship, they collaborated on many YouTube projects including Riley Rewind, in which they touched upon suicide and bullying in high schools. However, in July 2014, she took to her Facebook account to reveal that they were no longer together. Ray later revealed that they had ended their relationship back in May 2014.
- Brad Gage (2014-2017) – Akana started dating the actor and comedian, Brad Gage in 2014. Their courtship came to an end in early months of 2017. In her appearance in YouTube series called Reality Bytes, she hinted at the reason of their breakup by revealing that her boyfriend wanted to stay together but she wanted to move out.
- George Watsky (2017-Present) – In the summer of 2017, Anna was reported to have started going out with hip-hop artist, George Watsky. In her June 2017 interview with The Times, she claimed that she felt Watsky might be ‘the one.’
Race / Ethnicity
She has English, French, Spanish, German, Irish, Hawaiian, Japanese, and Filipino ancestry.
- Petite figure
- High cheekbones
Anna Akana has appeared in TV commercials for the following –
- Best Buy
- Truth (Anti-smoking PSA)
Her religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- The popularity of her main YouTube channel, which has over 2 million subscribers and more than 300 million views.
- Having made appearances in popular movies such as Ant-Man and Dirty 30.
- Being cast in a recurring role in the crime drama TV series, Stitchers.
First TV Show
In 2011, Anna Akana made her first TV show appearance in “Knocker Nightmare” episode of the teen comedy TV series, Awkward.
Anna Akana has put an active fitness regime in place to keep herself in shape. She works out with her personal trainer about three times a week. When she is not hitting the gym, she stretches and foam rolls to loosen up her muscles. She also meditates as often as she can to take care of her mental health.
Regarding diet, she eats vegan food 6 days a week. And, she reserves a cheat day for vegetarian and pescatarian food. However, she is not very disciplined when it comes to daily diet.
For example, she often misses out on her breakfast and ends having a banana. To keep her energy levels up, she eats fresh fruits and green veggies without any dressing. To curb her hunger in between meals, she relies on a fruit salad made with blueberries, strawberries, pecans, almonds, and raspberries. She drizzles it with honey and adds some almond butter as well.
Anna Akana Favorite Things
- Breakfast Meal – Macro meal with a miso soup from M Cafe De Chaya
- Lunch Meal – Simple greens, tortilla soup, and beer on tap from Fundamental LA
- Dinner Meal – Philly Cheese Steak from The Bazaar by Jose Andres
- City for Food – New York City
- NYC Eatery – Fatty Crab
Source – The New Potato
Anna Akana Facts
- After her younger sister committed suicide, she didn’t smile for several months. It was while watching Margaret Cho perform on a Comedy Central special, she laughed for the first time since her sister’s death.
- She realized that she could use comedy to move on with life and decided to pursue comedy seriously.
- She has been a strong anti-suicide advocate and in 2013, created a YouTube video, Please don’t kill yourself, in which she talked about the impact of suicide on the family members.
- In 2013, she published her book Surviving Suicide, which comprised of journal entries she made for two years after her sister’s death.
- At the age of 19, she started performing comedy but after enduring severe panic attacks while performing on stage, she decided to switch to YouTube in 2011.
- In 2014, she collaborated with comedian and writer Megan Rosati to start comedy music duo, which they named Cat Benatar.
- In 2014, she announced that she would make 1 short film per month. However, by the end of the one-year period, she could only make 6 short films but all of her films were well received by the YouTube audience.
- In 2015, she launched her exclusive clothing line under the label of Ghost & Stars. Her clothing line included a collection of leggings, t-shirts, and formal dresses with a healthy influence of cat-themed designs.
- She has 6 pet cats – Jimmy, Lily, Congress, Abby, Ghost, and Beetle.
- Visit her official website @ annaakana.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Tumblr.
Featured Image by Anna Akana / Instagram