|Anna Friel Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||July 12, 1976|
Anna Friel is an English actor who is known for playing Charlotte “Chuck” Charles in the ABC comedy-drama series Pushing Daisies, Beth Jordache in the soap opera Brookside, Det Sgt Marcella Backland in the nordic noir detective series Marcella, Sgt. Odelle Ballard in the NBC action thriller series American Odyssey, Christina Fitzsimmons in the 6-part television drama series Broken, Vicky Duffy in 3-part drama series Butterfly, Erica Myles in the anthology drama series The Girlfriend Experience, and Megan Delaney in the legal drama series The Jury. Moreover, Anna Friel has also been cast in a variety of films such as A Midsummer Night’s Dream, An Everlasting Piece, Bathory, Charming the Hearts of Men, Having You, Me Without You, Books of Blood, Niagara Motel, Sulphur and White, The Cleanse, Good People, The Look of Love, Tomato Red, Irish Jam, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, and The War Bride. Her work has won her several accolades, including at least an International Emmy Award, a Drama Desk Award, a National Television Award, an RTS Award, and an honorary degree, as well as BAFTA Award, Golden Globe Award, Satellite Award, Saturn Award, Genie Award, and Czech Lion Award nominations.
Anna Louise Friel
Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Anna resides in Windsor, Berkshire but she also has a home in Los Angeles.
Anna studied at the Crompton House Church of England High School and then moved to Holy Cross College.
She aspired to be an actor at a young age and then, began studying to become the same at the Oldham Theatre Workshop.
- Father – Desmond “Des” Friel (Former French teacher, Folk guitarist, Web design company owner)
- Mother – Julie (née Bamford) (Teacher for children with special needs)
- Siblings – Michael (Brother) (Doctor, Former Actor)
- Others – Harry Bamford (Maternal Grandfather)
The following companies have managed Anna Friel –
- The Artists Partnership, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Untitled Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Her net worth has been $10 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Anna Friel has dated –
- Joaquin Phoenix (1999) – Joaquín Rafael Phoenix is an American actor, producer, music video director, musician, and activist who hooked up with Anna in 1999. Their romance, however, was short-lived, and the two decided to call it off the same year.
- Chris Evans (2000) – Actor and filmmaker Christopher Robert Evans hooked up with Anna in 2000.
- Darren Day (1994-1997) – English actor Darren Day began dating Anna in 1994. The two were in a relationship for 3 years till 1997.
- Robbie Williams (1997) – Anna dated singer Robbie Willams for a while in 1997.
- Christian Bale (1999) – English actor Christian Bale dated Anna in 1999. They had met at the set of A Midsummer Night’s Dream movie premiere in 1999.
- Gavin Friday (2000-2001) – Irish singer Gavin Friday was romantically involved with Anna from 2000 till they fizzled out a year later in 2001.
- David Thewlis (2001-2010) – In 2001, Friel began a relationship with actor David Thewlis and in December 2010, Friel and Thewlis separated after almost 10 years together. She stated that the breakup was due to the increasing pressure and demand for their work. They have a daughter named Gracie Ellen Mary Friel (b. July 9, 2005).
- Lee Pace (2006-2007) – Lee Grinner Pace worked with Anna in Pushing Daisies and they hooked up in 2006. They dated for about a year before breaking up in 2007.
- Joseph Cross (2009-2010) – Actor Joseph Michael Cross dated Anna for a year from 2009 until 2010.
- Rhys Ifans (2011-2014) – Welsh actor and musician Rhys met Anna during the filming of the mini-series of Peter Pan called Neverland. She revealed that she was attracted to Rhys’s sense of humor and the couple started dating in 2011. The two decided to call it quits in 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
Anna has English roots on her mother’s side and is of Irish descent on her father’s side.
Her flawless skin
Anna has endorsed the following brands –
- Virgin Atlantic airline (2001)
- 3 Pay Video Mobile (UK) (2003)
- Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine (2006)
- Trilogy (2013)
- WWF wildlife charity (2014)
- Breakthrough Breast Cancer (2008)
Best Known For
Her infamous kiss in January 1994 on Brookside. She was the first one to have a lesbian kiss on a British soap opera.
Anna made her theatrical film debut in the 1998 romantic drama The Stringer as Helen.
First TV Show
Anna made her television show debut on the drama mini-series G.B.H. as Susan Nelson in 1991. She appeared in 6 episodes out of 7.
For her role in the sitcom Odyssey, she did extreme workouts under the guidance of a military trainer. Anna did swimming and press-ups. For the intense exercise of the muscles, she uses a vibration platform. Anna also enjoys other physical activities such as jogging and doing Pilates.
Anna has tried the master cleanse diet where she replaced solid food with a mixture of maple syrup, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and water for the entire day. When she was on this diet, she consumed less than 600 calories. She followed this diet for 2 months.
Anna is a fan of moderation and believes in having an organic diet consisting of fruits and vegetables. She refrains from having caffeine.
Anna Friel Favorite Things
- Character Played – Marcella
- Clothing – Parka
Source – Mint Velvet
Anna Friel Facts
- She considers Julie Walters to be her role model.
- She is a good singer and was even offered a recording contract by Simon Cowell which she refused.
- Anna has a pet dog named Maggie May.
- For her role as Charlotte “Chuck” Charles in the fantasy comedy-drama series Pushing Daisies, she was nominated for a Satellite Award, Saturn Award, and Golden Globe Award.
- She wanted to become a barrister when she was studying in school.
- She has revealed that she suffered bullying in school.
- Once her career took off, she was working round the clock, but due to the hectic schedule, she suffered from fits.
- From 2016 to 2019, she co-starred as Detective Sergeant Marcella Backland in the nordic noir detective series Marcella and this role won her the International Emmy Award for “Best Performance by an Actress”.
Featured Image by RedCarpetReport / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0