|Anna Wintour Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||November 3, 1949|
Nuclear Wintour, Wintour of Our Discontent, Miranda Priestly
Hampstead, London, England, United Kingdom
New York City, New York, United States
Anna Wintour went to the North London Collegiate School. At the age of 16, she decided to leave North London Collegiate as she wanted to get into the fashion industry. So, she got enrolled in a training program offered by Harrods.
Journalist and Editor
- Father – Charles Wintour (British newspaper editor and was also honored with Order of the British Empire)
- Mother – Eleanor “Nonie” Trego Baker
- Siblings – Gerald Wintour (Older Brother) (Passed away as a child after being involved in traffic accident), Patrick Wintour (Younger Brother) (Journalist and Editor), James Wintour (Younger Brother) (Worked with London local government), Nora Wintour (Sister) (Worked for international non-governmental organizations)
- Others – Audrey Slaughter (Stepmother) (Magazine editor and Founder of publications such as Petticoat and Honey), Major-General Fitzgerald Wintour (Paternal Grandfather), Alice Jane Blanche Foster (Paternal Grandmother), Ralph Jackson Baker (Maternal Grandfather), Anna Elizabeth Gilkyson (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Anna Wintour has dated –
- Piers Paul Read – Anna started her love life at the age of 15 when she started dating with English novelist and historian Piers Paul Read, who happened to be 24 years old at that time. Their relationship lasted for a very brief period.
- Nigel Dempster – In her late teens, Anna started going out with British journalist and writer Nigel Dempster. They were reported to be a constant fixture on the London club circuit.
- Michael White – Anna Wintour is reported to have gone out with theatre producer Michael White for a brief time. Although the timeline of their relationship isn’t available, there are no doubts about the existence of their affair as it has been confirmed by White himself and pictures of them together can be found in his personal collection.
- Eric Idle – As per an article, Wintour had an affair with British comedian, Eric Idle, who is best known for being a member of the comedy group Monty Python.
- Richard Neville – In the late 60s, Wintour was reported to be involved with Australian journalist Richard Neville, who happened to give her the first magazine job in his controversial magazine. Like some of her other early boyfriends, he was older than her and their age difference was of about 8 years.
- Jon Bradshaw – When Anna moved to New York City in the early 70s, she was involved with freelance journalist Jon Bradshaw. Jon reportedly moved with her to NY. Their relationship ended in the late 70s. Like some of her other relationships, it has been long rumored that during her relationship with Jon, she was seeing other men as well.
- Bob Marley – In the mid-70s, she reportedly had a fling with reggae star Bob Marley. She was introduced to Marley by one of her then-boyfriend Bradshaw’s friends. She disappeared with him for about a week. In her 2017 appearance on The Late Late Show with James Corden, she insisted that she had never met Bob Marley. Anna also added that if she had met him, she would surely have hooked up with him.
- Michel Esteban – After the end of her relationship with Bradshaw, Anna hooked up with French record producer Michel Esteban in the late 70s. During the course of their relationship, they divided their time between New York City and Paris. Their relationship lasted for about 2 years.
- Si Newhouse – It has been long rumored that Anna landed her job with Vogue due to her affair with Si Newhouse, who was the chairman of the Vogue’s parent company for a very long time. Anna furiously refuted such rumors. Even, while accepting her award at the Media awards in 2002, she complained about it.
- David Shaffer (1980-2000) – In 1980, Wintour started going out with child psychiatrist David Shaffer in 1980. Shaffer was her old acquaintance and was much older than her. The age difference between them was of about 12 years. They got married in 1984. In 1985, she gave birth to their first child, a son named Charles. Anna became a grandmother after Charles’s wife Elizabeth gave birth to a baby girl in March 2017. In 1987, Anna gave birth to her daughter, Katherine, who is best known as Bee Shaffer and works as a film producer. David and Anna ended their marriage in 1999. Some sources reported that she had got bored of their marriage. While other sources reported that her affair with Shelby Bryan ended their marriage.
- Shelby Bryan (1999-2020) – Anna’s affair with businessman Shelby Bryan was subject of the tabloids towards the end of the 90s. The fact that they were both married added extra spice to the countless gossip articles about them. It was rumored that they used to flee to Paris to indulge in their love, away from the claustrophobic coverage of their affair by American tabloids. They eventually managed to put those conflicted early years behind to get married in 2004. The couple separated in 2020.
- Bill Nighy (2021) – In 2021, Anna was rumored to be dating actor Bill Nighy after they were spotted together in Rome, Italy.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Scottish and English ancestry. She also has traces of Dutch and French Huguenot ancestry.
- Her trademark bob hairdo
- Chanel sunglasses
Best Known For
- Being one of the leading authorities in the fashion industry.
- Having revived Vogue and leading it to the new heights of success. She has used her position as the editor-in-chief of the prestigious magazine to shape the fashion industry.
First TV Show
In 1994, Anna made her first TV show appearance in the comedy TV series, Hi Octane.
Anna Wintour relies on her love for tennis to keep herself fit and trim. She gets up at 5 in the morning every day and by 5:45, she reaches Midtown Tennis Club in New York. She usually plays tennis for an hour before heading back home.
Anna Wintour Favorite Things
- Sport – Tennis
- Tennis Player – Roger Federer
- Play – Skylight by David Hare
- Musical – Kiss Me, Kate by Cole Porter
- Comedian – James Corden
- Action Hero – Hugh Jackman
- Book – Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Museum – The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City
- Flower – Tuberose
- Restaurant – Balthazar in New York City
- Food – Avocado
- Guilty TV Pleasure – Homeland
- Dessert – Coffee Ice Cream
Anna Wintour Facts
- She started wearing her trademark bob hairdo at the age of 14. And, to keep her bob perfect, she blow-dries her hair twice a day, once in the morning and then again in the evening.
- Lauren Weisberger, who used to work as her personal assistant, took inspiration from Anna to base her lead character of domineering fashion boss in her bestselling novel, The Devil Wears Prada.
- Lauren later alleged that Wintour had declined to collaborate for her novel and had instructed staff members at Vogue to do so as well. She had warned major fashion designers that if they appeared in the movie (the novel was converted to a movie later), they would be banished from the pages of Vogue.
- While she was studying at the North London Collegiate School, she often used to rebel against school’s dress code that was dominated by conservative hemline of the skirts.
- Her father got her the first job at the prestigious Biba boutique in London when she was 15 years old.
- She got the first job in the magazine industry at the controversial magazine Oz, which was run by her then-boyfriend Richard Neville, who also happened to be the co-founder of the magazine.
- After she helped the Metropolitan Museum of Art raise an amount of $125 million for its Costume Institute, the Museum board decided to rename it as The Anna Wintour Costume Center in 2014.
- She is a huge fan of fur and has even commissioned several pro-fur fashion editorials, which has made her a target of the animal rights group, PETA. She has been physically attacked by animal rights activists on countless occasions.
- In 2005, Jerry Oppenheimer published an unofficial autobiography, Front Row: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue’s Editor in Chief on Anna. He claimed that not only she turned down his requests for interviews but also discouraged Vogue staffers to interact with him for his book.
- In 2017, she was awarded the honor of the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire for her contributions to fashion and journalism.
- Some of her many perks for working as an editor-in-chief with Vogue includes a chauffeured Mercedes S-Class, a yearly shopping allowance of $200,000, and stay in Coco Chanel Suite at the Hotel Ritz Paris when she is attending European fashion shows and events.
- In March 2013, the Guardian newspaper decided to include her in the list featuring 50 best-dressed over the 50s.
- Her trademark sunglasses are in fact corrective lenses as it has been claimed that her vision is deteriorating.
- Anna is a huge supporter of the Democratic party and has supported some of their high-profile candidates including John Kerry, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton. In fact, in run up to 2016 elections, Vogue took an unusual step of openly and officially supporting a political party.
- Although she supported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 elections, she has shared warm equation with her rival Donald Trump in the past and even convinced him to allow Marc Jacobs to use a ballroom at the Plaza Hotel for his fashion show when he didn’t have sufficient funds.
- The Condé Nast gave her an interest-free loan of $1.6 million to acquire a classy townhouse in fashionable New York City’s neighborhood of Greenwich Village.
- Her first shot at working with Vogue came to an end when she told then Vogue editor Grace Mirabella that she wanted her job in an interview. Mirabella ended the interview immediately and ordered her out of her office.
- She doesn’t have any social media account.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY-3.0