|Ben Stiller Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||November 30, 1965|
To say that Ben Stiller is a great comedian and actor would be a massive understatement. He started his career by writing and creating several mockumentaries and comedy short films which helped him earn his own TV show. The Ben Stiller Show helped him land a role in the movie Meet the Parents. Since then, he has acted in 2 sequels of the movie. He has also acted in the starring roles in several other popular movies such as Zoolander, The Cable Guy, and Night at the Museum trilogy.
Benjamin Edward Meara Stiller
New York City, New York, United States
Ben Stiller went to The Cathedral School of St. John the Divine. He also studied at the Calhoun School from where he completed his school education in 1983.
Later, he got enrolled in a film course at the University of California, Los Angeles. However, about 9 months later, he dropped out and moved back to the New York City.
Actor, Comedian, Writer, Producer, Director
- Father – Jerry Stiller (Actor, Comedian)
- Mother – Anne Meara (Actress, Comedienne)
- Siblings – Amy Stiller (Sister)
- Others – William Stiller (Paternal Grandfather), Bella Stiller (Paternal Grandmother), Edward Joseph Meara (Maternal Grandfather), Mary T. Dempsey (Maternal Grandmother)
Ben Stiller is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ben Stiller has dated –
- Jeanne Tripplehorn (1990-1996) – In 1990, Ben Stiller started dating actress Jeanne Tripplehorn. They had grown closer while working on his popular show, The Ben Stiller Show. During the course of their relationship, they even got engaged. However, they never made it to the aisle as they decided to pull curtains on their relationship in 1996.
- Janeane Garofalo – In the early 90s, Stiller was rumored to have dated actress and comedienne Janeane Garofalo. They first met in 1990 at Canter’s Deli in Los Angeles while they were hanging out there with friends and fellow stand-up comedians. Their meeting is considered as Garofalo’s first big breakthrough as Ben gave her a chance to make her TV debut in his show Ben Stiller Show in 1992.
- Amanda Peet – According to reports, Ben Stiller went out with actress Amanda Peet in the late 90s. Even after having parted ways soon after, their separation seemed to be on amicable terms as they got together in 2005 for the play, This Is How It Goes.
- Rhea Durham (1998) – Stiller had a fling with American model Rhea Durham.
- Claire Forlani (1998-1999) – Towards the end of 1998, the American press linked Stiller with actress Claire Forlani. It was reported that they had grown closer while shooting for the movie, Mystery Man. Stiller decided to end their relationship after he fell for Calista Flockhart.
- Calista Flockhart (1999) – Stiller was linked with actress Calista Flockhart in March 1999. It was claimed that they had first met at a charity dinner in Los Angeles. The pair immediately hit it off and decided to go on a vacation to Santa Barbara for the weekend. They dated for about 3 months before deciding to separate.
- Brandi Glanville (1999) – In 1999, Ben Stiller had a short-lived affair with TV personality Brandi Glanville. During his appearance on Andy Cohen’s talk show Watch What Happens Live, Stiller himself confirmed their fling. He revealed that they had gone on a couple of dates and had a lot of fun. However, he insisted that he won’t term it as a relationship.
- Christine Taylor (1999-2017) – Stiller started going out with actress Christine Taylor in 1999. It was reported that he decided to dump Calista Flockhart so that he could start dating Taylor. They first met while shooting for the pilot of a show which never aired. Taylor was acting in the pilot, while Stiller was attached to the project as a director. Stiller couldn’t resist her instantly. However, the relationship developed gradually. They started hanging out together and progressed from there. They got engaged in December 1999. He was rehearsing for his movie Meet the Parents when he decided to propose and ask for her father’s permission. He would later reveal that asking his future father-in-law for his daughter’s hand wasn’t much different from the movie he was rehearsing for, as he was intimidated by the man who owned a security company. They got married in May 2000, in a romantic and lavish wedding ceremony that was hosted in front of the ocean in Kauai, Hawaii. In April 2002, she gave birth to their daughter, Ella Olivia. Their son Quinlin Dempsey was born in July 2005. In a shock announcement in May 2017, they revealed that they had mutually decided to end their 18 years long marriage. However, they have remained on good terms and are often seen hanging out together with their children.
Race / Ethnicity
Ben has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry on his father’s side and Irish ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Stocky Build
- Prominent Nose
Ben Stiller has endorsed –
- Heineken Beer
- Chu-Hi (Japan)
- Fiat 500X
- Google Play
- SKYY Vodka
Although his family wasn’t religious, Ben still had his Bar Mitzvah. While growing up, Christmas, as well as Hanukkah, were celebrated in his household. So as an adult, he identifies with both the faiths.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the starring role in the popular fantasy comedy movie franchise, Night at the Museum
- Having played the starring role in the popular comedy movies such as Zoolander, The Cable Guy, and Tropic Thunder
- Being cast in the leading role with Robert De Niro in the popular comedy film series, Meet the Parents
In 1987, he made his theatrical film debut in the action comedy movie, Hot Pursuit, which had Ben’s father, Jerry Stiller, and John Cusack in the leading roles.
First TV Show
In 1972, Ben Stiller made his first TV show appearance on the daytime television talk show The Mike Douglas Show.
Ben Stiller maintains a healthy and active lifestyle to keep himself in the right shape. He likes to play tennis with his wife and also enjoys outdoor activities such as paddleboarding.
When it comes to diet, he is a pescatarian with elements of vegan diet adopted as well.
Ben Stiller Favorite Things
- Childhood Movies – The Poseidon Adventure, Annie Hall
- Actress – Diane Keaton
Source – Reddit
Ben Stiller Facts
- He once got an opportunity to work in the popular sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, based on The Hustler of Money, his short film parody of the movie, The Color of Money.
- In 1989, he started working as a performer and writer with Saturday Night Live. However, as the show wasn’t interested in his short films, he decided to leave it after having worked for 4 episodes.
- In 2002, Ben Stiller was placed on the 68th spot in Premiere’s annual Power 100 List.
- He owns a production company named Red Hour Films whose name is inspired by an alien riot featured in The Return of the Archons episode of Star Trek.
- Before he started working as an actor, one of his initial jobs in the show business was of an intern on the Alan Thicke’s show Thicke of the Night.
- Stiller was majorly considered for the role of Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. However, Johnny Depp eventually managed to bag the role.
- In 2005, he revealed that he was suffering from a bipolar disease which ran in his family.
- In 2014, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer but he didn’t make his diagnosis public until 2016. However, he was declared cancer-free after he underwent treatment.
- In the late 70s, Stiller regularly used to perform with NYC’s First All Children’s Theater, a New York City-based troupe. This was his first big exposure as an actor.
- While in high school, he served as a drummer of the punk band called Capital Punishment, which released its studio album Roadkill in 1982.
- In 1986, he garnered widespread acclaim with his performance on the Broadway revival of John Guare’s The House of Blue Leaves, which was performed in 1986. The production went on to win 4 Tony Awards.
- His first big commercial theatrical success was the 1994 romantic comedy, Reality Bites. Apart from playing one of the lead roles in the movie, he also served as the director of the movie. He had also worked for around one and a half years with scriptwriter Helen Childress to get the story and setting right for the project.
- His famous character, Derek Zoolander, first appeared in 1996 in short film he had made for the VH1 Fashion Awards. Zoolander was introduced as a male model in the film.
- In 2001, he created a comedy movie about his popular character and titled it, Zoolander. Apart from playing the lead role, he also served as a producer, director, and scriptwriter of the project.
- Ben has done extensive activism work for the charity organizations such as the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Declare Yourself, and the Starlight Starbright Children’s Foundation.
- In July 2018, he was appointed as a Goodwill Ambassador for UNHCR, which is the refugee arm of the UN.
- Follow Ben Stiller on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Michael Schilling / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0