|Anoushka Shankar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 9, 1981|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Anoushka Shankar is a multiple Grammy nominated world-renowned sitar player and composer of Indian origin. She is best known as the daughter of the legendary Indian Sitar Maestro Ravi Shankar. She has numerous albums to her name including “Rise,” “Traveller,” and “Traces of You”. Anoushka studied at the San Dieguito High School Academy in Encinitas, California. She has more than 500k followers on Facebook, more than 100k followers on Instagram, and more than 5 million views on her YouTube channel.
London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Anoushka Shankar studied at the San Dieguito High School Academy in Encinitas, California. She discontinued further studies to concentrate on creating music.
- Father – Ravi Shankar (Indian Sitar Maestro)
- Mother – Sukanya Shankar
- Siblings – None
- Others – Norah Jones (Older Half-Sister) (Singer & Musician), Shubhendra Shankar (Older Half-Brother) (Died in 1992), Mamata Shankar (Cousin) (Indian Actress)
Anoushka Shankar is managed by –
- Angela Sulivan, Agent, Sulivan Sweetland, England, United Kingdom
- Anujita Jain at Alchemist Marketing Talent Solutions, India
- Todd Walker, Agent, Paradigm Agency, New York City, New York, United States
Indian Classical, Crossover
Vocals, Sitar, Piano, Tanpura
- Angel Records
- Deutsche Grammophon
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Anoushka Shankar has dated –
- Joe Wright (2009-2018) – In 2009, Anoushka began dating British director Joe Wright. The couple tied the knot on September 26, 2010, and she relocated to London with her husband. They have 2 sons together, Zubin Shankar Wright (b. February 22, 2011) and Mohan Shankar Wright (b. February 17, 2015). However, the couple had their differences and separated in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Bengali descent.
- Prominent cheekbones
- Wide forehead
- Often wears a stud on her left nose
Best Known For
- Being the daughter of the legendary Indian sitar maestro Ravi Shankar and for having performed at many prestigious places like Carnegie Hall, Barbican Centre, Sydney Opera House, Vienna Konzerthaus, Salle Pleyel, Royal Festival Hall, Frankfurt Alte Oper, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Palais des Beaux-Arts and the KKL Luzern
- Appearing at popular events like the Verbier Festival, the Prague Spring Festival, Boom Festival, and the London Proms
On October 23, 1998, she released a self-titled debut album, Anoushka with Angel Records.
In 2004, she made her theatrical film debut in the drama film Dance Like a Man as Lata Parekh.
First TV Show
In 2010, she made her first TV show appearance on the talk show Asia Uncut with Jon Niermann.
Anoushka Shankar practices yoga regularly. She adapted the practice while she was in California. Yoga helps her to stay focused and cleanse her body. She finds it really helpful as she has to sit crossed leg for hours while playing the sitar.
As for her diet, she believes in eating healthy.
Anoushka Shankar Favorite Things
- Food – Indian, Thai, and Italian
- Journey/Holiday – To Thailand where she lived in a remote island in a tree house.
- Tea Brands – Mariage Frères and French Blue
- London Landmarks – Blackfriars Bridge, River Thames and the area around St. Paul’s Cathedral
- Memories Of London City – Performing at the Barbican Hall with her father at age 14 and Royal Festival Hall in 2010
- Place To Dine With Family In London – The Wolseley
- City – London
- Place For Breakfast in London – The Natural Kitchen in Marylebone High Street
Source – Hindustan Times, Telegraph, WhereTraveler.com
Anoushka Shankar Facts
- As a child, she learned Bharatnatyam much before she learned to play the sitar.
- She was crowned Homecoming Queen in school in 1999.
- The first Christmas present she received from her former mother-in-law was a couple of hummingbird puppets.
- Her former husband’s parents were puppeteers who founded the Little Angel Theatre Company in Islington.
- She is obsessed with making and drinking tea.
- At the age of 13, Anoushka gave her first public sitar performance at Siri Fort in New Delhi on February 27, 1995, in celebration of her father’s 75th birthday.
- One of her greatest extravagances is clothes.
- The thing she lies about the most is giving the wrong telephone number to people.
- When she completes a project, she always feels that she could have done better work differently.
- If she could change one thing about herself, it would be to have more patience.
- The thing closest to her heart is the moments she can share with the people she loves.
- The person she admired the most was her father.
- To her, the most overrated virtue is beauty.
- Her ideal woman or man is someone who is caring, attractive, and truthful.
- If she were marooned on a desert island, she would want her companion to be one of her girlfriends so she’ll not get bored.
- She likes to read before going to bed.
- She likes visiting the Geffrye Museum to get a taste in London’s history.
- While in London, she likes shopping at the Seven Dials in Covent Garden, Shoreditch and some vintage stores in Brick Lane.
- She likes going to the Buddhist Centre on Bethnal Green Road in East London for some for some peace and quietness.
- Regent’s Park, London Fields, and Victoria Park are some of her regular places where she likes going for a stroll.
- If she had to spend a night in a hotel in London, then her first choice will be The Claridges.
- In 2002, she released a biographical book titled “Bapi: The Love of My Life”.
- She is an animal rights activist and has done numerous campaigns for PETA.
- She stated that as a child she was s*xually assaulted many times.
- Anoushka also supports charities like Help Refugees UK, among others.
- Visit her official website @ anoushkashankar.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Harald Krichel / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0