|Apolo Ohno Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||May 22, 1982|
Apolo Ohno is an American former short-track speed skater, TV personality, and entrepreneur who is best known for winning 8 medals (2 ‘Gold’, 2 ‘Silver’, and 4 ‘Bronze’) at the Winter Olympic Games between 2002 and 2010. He had also won 21 medals (8 ‘Gold’, 7 ‘Silver’, and 6 ‘Bronze’) at the World Short Track Speed Skating Championships between 1999 and 2009; 2 medals (1 ‘Gold’ in 2008 and 1 ‘Bronze’ in 2009) at the World Short Track Speed Skating Team Championships; and a ‘Gold’ medal in 1999 at the World Junior Short Track Speed Skating Championships. The most decorated American athlete at the Winter Olympic Games (as of February 2022), he was inducted into the ‘U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame’ in 2019. After he retired from the sport in 2010, he has worked as an entrepreneur, TV host, and motivational speaker, most well recognized for his hosting of a revival of the TV game show Minute to Win It (2013-2014). He had also served as a commentator for the National Broadcasting Company (NBC)’s coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi and the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang. He has pursued entrepreneurial interests in fields as diverse as manufacturing, infrastructure development, software/hardware technologies, and health/wellness supplements. He had invested in a Finnish company called Oura Health and is the co-founder of Allysian Sciences, a health supplements company.
Apolo Anton Ohno
Seattle, King County, Washington, United States
Apolo, after his high school graduation, had joined the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, a public research university. He had studied business there.
Short-Track Speed Skater (Retired), TV Personality, Entrepreneur
- Father – Yuki Ohno (Hair Stylist, Hair Salon Owner)
- Mother – Jerrie Lee
- Others – He has an older half-brother.
Apolo Ohno’s net worth had been $10 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Apolo has dated –
- Allison Baver (2004-2009)
- Bianca Stam (2016-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Asian and White)
He is of Japanese descent on his father’s side and European-American descent on his mother’s side.
He has revealed that he is 5.2% Italian, 49% Japanese, 27% Irish and British, and the remaining is a mix.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, spiked hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
- Has a mole on his neck
Apolo has been sponsored by –
- General Electric Company
- The Century Council
- Alaska Airlines
He has also served as the brand ambassador of the Swiss luxury watchmaker Omega SA.
Apolo Ohno Favorite Things
- Music Festivals – Coachella and Electronic Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas
- Colors – Red, gold, black
- Ice Cream Flavor – Cookies and cream
- Electronic Music Artists – Eric Prydz, Kygo, Marshmello, Above and Beyond
Source – Us Magazine
Apolo Ohno Facts
- Apolo’s parents got divorced when he was a toddler, after which, he was primarily raised by his father.
- His father had named him Apolo by mixing the Greek words ‘apo’ (steer away from) and ‘lo’ (look out; here he comes).
- When he was 12 years old, he had won the Washington state swimming championship in the breaststroke category. He had later given up swimming and taken to inline speed skating.
- In 1997, aged 14, he had become the youngest American national champion and was the reigning champion from 2001 to 2009. In December 1999, he had become the youngest skater to win a World Cup event title.
- In 2007, he had won the 4th season of the competitive dance-based reality TV show Dancing with the Stars.
- After the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, he had established the Apolo Anton Ohno Foundation and had partnered with other charitable organizations to discourage underage drinking of alcohol.
- He had served as a Special Olympics ‘Global Ambassador’ ahead of the 2015 World Summer Games that were held in Los Angeles.
- In February 2022, he had released a book titled Hard Pivot which had chronicled his journey to becoming an Olympic athlete, his life off the track, and his transition to entrepreneurship.
- Growing up, he wanted to be a running back in football. However, his father never desired that thing.
- Until he was 27, his father used to cut and style his hair.
- He likes to have experiences versus things.
- Apolo likes running and water activities.
- Nature is his first love.
- He is a biohacker who likes to improve the life quality mentally by experimenting with herbs, plants, flowers, and nutraceuticals.
- He is always interested in knowing about human behavior and keeps on reading about the human origin.
- He prefers tea over coffee.
- Apolo has an enormous OCD.
- He believes in doing good karma.
- Apolo also likes badminton.
- Apolo loves broadcasting for the Olympics.
- He is not good at singing.
- Apolo is a big fan of electronic music.
- Apolo does meditation daily which he first started at the age of 14 after getting introduced to it by his father.
- His father is 100% Japanese and his mentor.
- Apolo Ohno does a lot of reading but still doesn’t have a favorite book.
Featured Image by Apolo Ohno / Instagram